News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to figure out a cheap way to bump up compresion in my 318

Started by 440charger68, May 08, 2010, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

so i bought some 340 x heads and i just found out i will lose power if i add them to my 318 cause of the big combustion chambers i will lose compression and power. So what can i do to my original 318 heads to bump up compression? basically how much do i have to shave until i get about 9.5 or 10-1 compression or
life's a garden, dig it.

Ghoste

If my memory serves (and I hate to admit I'm too lazy to look it up at this exact moment), that isn't your only issue with putting 340 heads on a 318.  I seem to recall something about notching the block to allow valve clearance. (and I will look it up shortly)

chargd72

I suggest finding a set of cast 302 heads for around $75.  They have a smaller combustion chamber and will bump your compression up to about 9:1.  When you have the money, these heads respond well to porting and bigger valves.  Later on, find some flat deck pistons to finish the job. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger