News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 Charger mystery

Started by HANDM, April 18, 2010, 11:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

Hey guys,
I am finally giving my 66 the long overdue love that it deserves and have come upon a mystery.
My ten year old son (who is an absolute Mopar nutter, like his dad, LOL) pointed out that our 66 has side reflectors on the front fenders and all the ones that he has checked out online don't. I too, have verified this myself. These reflectors appear to be as aged as the rest of the trim on the car with pitting and whatnot. I bought the car off of the second owner who bought it in 67 and it is all original down to the carpet except for regular wear and tear stuff.

Here is a crappy picture for now and I will post a better one soon
Thanks for the help

rav440

is it bolted on ? or glued on ? im guesing it isnt wired in to the lights ?  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Ghoste

Someone has added them.  66 and 67 did NOT come from the factory with any form of side lighting.  There are more than a few owners that did change them and some even back in the day so it is quite possible for the lenses on your car to be well aged but rest assured that they aren't factory.

ODZKing

Mine had them as well when I bought it - stick on.  They were promtly removed.
But someone told me that in PA, they were required at one point, no matter what year.  Mine spent much of it's life in PA.
I have no idea if it is true or not.

Topher

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Nacho-RT74

I wouldn't fit that one, but kinda like how it is mounted. I think fits suited to the car lines
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rav440

Quote from: ODZKing on April 19, 2010, 10:49:14 AM
Mine had them as well when I bought it - stick on.  They were promtly removed.
But someone told me that in PA, they were required at one point, no matter what year.  Mine spent much of it's life in PA.
I have no idea if it is true or not.

that isnt a rule here in pa  plenty of pre 68s without side marker lights running around .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

ChgrSteve67

I have heard stories that some dealers put side markers on new 67 Charger in order to sell some of the last ones to be built. (Required in certain States, so I have heard) I can buy that.

I met someone one time that had 68 side markers on a 66 and tried to convience me that the dealer put them on the car when it was new in 66.  Its like "Nice try but NO"

Unless there is reason you really want to keep them I would take them off.

HANDM

Thanks guys,
I'll prolly just yank em off there, the car was sold new in Yorbalinda California so mayhap they were req'd :shruggy: what's weird is that they appear to be the same as the ODZ's car, exact in fact.
Here is a full on pic of the car with a new .97 x 10 home depot rattle can paint job in flat black, still need to do the cowl and top and a gloss black blackout on the center of the hood.
After pressure washing the thing and watching more and more of the white flaking off, I figured what the hell, and it should hold up till I get some real bodywork and paint started. I also threw on some rusty old crager knock offs for that final "hot rod" look.
I'm thinking some flames might be in order as well  :rofl: :nana: :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol:
Later

Brock Samson

those are stick on reflectors sold in the gee gaw section of auto parts stores back 30 years ago,.. been a long time since i seen them, folks would put those on older models to make them look newer after '68.. they were not required in Calif, they were like curb feelers.  :shruggy: nice Charger  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

The Cragars are a much nicer addition.  :icon_smile_big:

HANDM

Quote from: Ghoste on April 20, 2010, 02:03:17 PM
The Cragars are a much nicer addition.  :icon_smile_big:

My son wanted me to keep the perfect original hubcaps on instead of the fake cragers, but I don't want to worry about curb rash, so it's was off with the old and on with the rusty cragers :smilielol:

Ghoste

I agree it would be even nicer if the Cragars were all new and shiny looking but I still just love the look of them on those cars.  (most cars from that era actually)

HANDM

Quote from: Ghoste on April 21, 2010, 08:09:05 AM
I agree it would be even nicer if the Cragars were all new and shiny looking but I still just love the look of them on those cars.  (most cars from that era actually)

One of these years, God willing, I will give the 66 the love and attention that it so richly deserves, for now hot rod black works for me. I HAVE to finish the 69 for my wife as she has been waiting for the last ten years for me to get on it. I have over the course of the last decade, rebuilt original 383, the 727, the front end, the brakes and most recently new trunk, valence, one end cap, lower quarter patches, rear window patches, builder primer, three guide coats, countless hours perfecting the main body line and finally sitting in epoxy ready for a scuffin and paint.
After april showers are over, it's no longer a shelf to store stuff on :lol: