News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B-25s for the Doolittle Reunion at The US Air Force Museum

Started by Troy, April 16, 2010, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Thanks for sharing the photos. Muscle planes and cars... :2thumbs:

Quote from: Troy on April 19, 2010, 01:43:32 PM

My favorite fighter has to be the P-38....

Troy

Hah! Mine also, after I got a flyable model as a wee lad and flew it every day. Beautiful form.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69rtse4spd

Great pics., :2thumbs:, love the old war birds. My father was a paratrooper in the Pacific in W.W.2, told me how they use to jump out of the B-25s somtimes. :patriot:.

RECHRGD

Great shots Troy!  On a related note-----My wife just got a call from a genealogist that works for the government finding relatives of people missing in action.  Her older first cousin was shot down (in a B25) over Korea in 1951 or 52 and the remains were never recovered.  She would not say if the remains had been found or not.  My wife still has a letter he had written to her family just two days before he was lost.  They are sending her a DNA swab kit to confirm that she is now the next a kin.  We are hoping that if his remains have been found that we can put him at rest with the rest of his family in San Louis Obispo, Ca..  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Brock Samson

as i've stated many times i'm a huge fan of Nose Art...

and I've recently found a great appreciation for the de havilland mosquito!

http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito.html

KS71owner

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 20, 2010, 01:23:54 PM
as i've stated many times i'm a huge fan of Nose Art...

and I've recently found a great appreciation for the de havilland mosquito!

http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito.html

:2thumbs: agreed....the Mosquito is one of the best looking planes of that era. It and the P38 Lightning are my favorites.

stripedelete

They were fast.  The Japanese called them "split tailed" demons (devils?).

70charginglizard

Very cool pics!

Another one of those cool airplanes my father flew in back in the day.  :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

Troy

I found out something very interesting for the pilots out there...

if you have a multi-engine rating you can actually take your biannual review in one of the B-25s! Of course, it ain't cheap (about $5k for 2-2.5 hours). Even if you aren't multi-engine rated you can still go and get pilot-in-command time. How cool is that?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Akron_Charger

great shots! i live about 3 hours from there and have spent a lot of my 22 years in existance at that museum. LOVE the XB-70 and SR-71...those are some airplanes

greenpigs

My brother inlaw and I got to see 16 fly overhead on the way to spring valley gun range. I tried to record it but my new cell phone sucks. They did sound Killer
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

oldrock

Great pics! I love all the WWII planes. You should seriously consider putting those slides together in a video set to music. I took my boys to see a B-17 years ago and took a ton of pictures. Then put it all to music in a video and it turned out cool. With all your great pics, it would make a fantastic video for sure.

It is really interesting to see how the config changed on that plane over time. On the early models, you can sure see where they would be vunerable to side attack. The latter models gave much better coverage.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on May 03, 2010, 03:55:51 PM
Even if you aren't multi-engine rated you can still go and get pilot-in-command time. How cool is that?

Sorry to nitpick but simply manipulating the controls of an aircraft doesn't allow one to act as pilot-in-command, one must be type-rated in order to be PIC. In order for a non-rated person to fly the aircraft there would have to be a rated pilot in the other seat.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 08, 2010, 03:41:03 PM
Quote from: Troy on May 03, 2010, 03:55:51 PM
Even if you aren't multi-engine rated you can still go and get pilot-in-command time. How cool is that?

Sorry to nitpick but simply manipulating the controls of an aircraft doesn't allow one to act as pilot-in-command, one must be type-rated in order to be PIC. In order for a non-rated person to fly the aircraft there would have to be a rated pilot in the other seat.
Perhaps I should investigate exactly what they are providing. However, it's left seat time with an instructor in the right seat after undergoing ground training. Last time I checked that time could be logged by the student as PIC even though the instructor will technically be PIC (and can also log it that way as well). I suppose if it's just a refresher or checkride it's not the same as say full blown multi-engine training.

From the FAR:
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-

(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

(ii) When the pilot is the sole occupant in the aircraft;

(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or

(iv) When the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided—]

(A) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft being flown, if a class rating is appropriate;

(B) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command is undergoing an approved pilot in command training program that includes ground and flight training on the following areas of operation—

( 1 ) Preflight preparation;

( 2 ) Preflight procedures;

( 3 ) Takeoff and departure;

( 4 ) In-flight maneuvers;

( 5 ) Instrument procedures;

( 6 ) Landings and approaches to landings;

( 7 ) Normal and abnormal procedures;

( 8 ) Emergency procedures; and

( 9 ) Postflight procedures;

(C) The supervising pilot in command holds—

( 1 ) A commercial pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate, and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; or

( 2 ) An airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; and

(D) The supervising pilot in command logs the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook, certifies the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook and attests to that certification with his or her signature, and flight instructor certificate number.

(2) If rated to act as pilot in command of the aircraft, an airline transport pilot may log all flight time while acting as pilot in command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.

(3) A certificated flight instructor may log pilot in command flight time for all flight time while serving as the authorized instructor in an operation if the instructor is rated to act as pilot in command of that aircraft.

(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—

(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;

(ii) Has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and

(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Troy

John_Kunkel

A, B, and C under (iv) are restrictions that deal with logging PIC time during an approved training program, I'd say it's a stretch to call manipulating the controls a "training program" but..............

If you look in a typical pilot's logbook under TYPE OF PILOTING TIME you'll find columns for "dual received" and "pilot in command". A non-rated pilot flying with an instructor would be logged as dual received.

Troy

Got it. So any way, you can fly one if you want. ;)

Troy

John_Kunkel

The ride is what's important anyway, the paperwork is irrelevant.

The Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24 will hit town here in a couple of weeks offering rides for a fee and there will also be a P-51 (my alltime favorite) with them offering rides for $2200 for a half-hour and $3200 for a full hour. If only...............

Troy

That's $2,200 in the B-17 and B-24 right? Last time I was in a P-51 it was about $425 for a 45 minute ride. The B-25 rides at this event were $400 but they were booked solid so I have no idea how long of a trip it was (30 minutes?).

Troy

John_Kunkel

No, the B-17 and B-24 are in the $300-400 range because they can pack in lots of riders compared to the Mustang, the $2200-3200 tab is for a ride in the Mustang.

Troy

Wow. Guess I should have ponied up for a few more rides then. I could take a private jet to dinner in Chicago for that amount. We got to buzz the field so that was worth the price but for 6-7 times the price I'd be expecting a full on dog fight. :D

Troy