News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this called and how do you get the dang thing out?

Started by bull, December 11, 2005, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Clutch linkage bar? Clutch transfer doohickey? I dunno what you call it but I know what it does and I don't know how to get it out without using a die grinder or something. I'm talking about the greenish/gold/rust colored pipe in the picture that's attached to the body and connects to the ball socket on the transmission for the purpose of transferring the clutch pedal motion to the clutch itself via the flat arm that's hanging straight down. Throw me a bone please.

694spdRT

That is called the Z bar. You access it through the driver side fender well. There is a bracket the loose end slides down on. Once that is loosened you can pull it off the transmission pivot. I am looking for a photo of the fender well right now...stay tuned.   :)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Duey

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 11, 2005, 11:16:14 AM
That is called the Z bad. You access it through the driver side fender well. There is a bracket the loose end slides down on. Once that is loosened you cal pull it off the transmission pivot. I am looking for a photo of the fender well right now...stay tuned.  :)

Z bad what? ;)  You mean zee bad Z-bar?  ;D
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

694spdRT

Bull

This is the best pic I can find right now. There is a nut that holds the outer ball stud on that you loosen through the hole with the arrow. You can then remove the ball stud from the Z bar and pull the Z bar off the ball stud on the bellhousing. That is how I did it anyway.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

bull

Oh thank you. I was getting ready to pull my hair out. I swear I looked for an access hole but didn't find one. I'll take another look.

cudaken

Bull, have you pulled the fenders yet ;D Nothing to do with the Zee Bar but they are fun the first time as well. ;) I want to use Zee Tourch. :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

bull

Ken,

I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I had no plans to pull the fenders off but now I guess I'll have to ask the body shop about it, or let them do it. My garage is starting to feel like a closet and it's getting smaller by the minute. I don't have enough room to pull the friggin' engine w/o opening the garage door and the wind is blowing about 40 mph out there, feels like 20 below. Plus my driveway goes down at about a 20-degree angle so the cherry picker would probably take off and drop my engine in the street. Remind me not to do this again until I have a 30x30 shop. Sorry, I'm whining again. Things could always be worse. I'll figure something out. :icon_smile_tongue:

cudaken

Curtis, been there and done that. My driveway is at the same angel. Rolled the Charger out one night so Sue and I could play the stereo and dances. (I did not say that) Rolled her out and could not stop her! Ran it into the wifes Town Car. ;) Better than the neighbors yard. I was pulling but could not stop it, was going slow and did not hurt the Charger. Only need a new front plate holder for Sue's car.

For $20.00 I tell you where the bolts are on the fender ;) Leave them on and don't ask the body shop. :icon_smile_wink:

Ken

PS, snow is gone and I will send you some PIC's.
I am back

Chryco Psycho

look under the rubber inner fender cover , the Z bar sits in a bracket welded to the top of the frame rail

Troy

I found reference pics. This is Shelley and Jonathan's car (thanks Shelley!):

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlockSam

looks just like mine. with out all the dirt, grease and undercoating. OK, there similar  :icon_smile_big:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bull

That purple car sure is pretty. Makes me sick. :icon_smile_angry: Not really. Just jealous.