News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

83/4 chunk questions

Started by AKcharger, December 11, 2005, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi guys

I have a 3.91 SG section I was about to put in my car and noticed as I turn the yoke it's not "smooth" you can feel it engage the gears...kind of like "thunk thunk thunk" as you turn it. Now the pal I got it from said it ran fine in his truck with no noise or anything (and I believe him) and also the unit is "dry" not covered in 90w lube. Now as I spun it I poured some 30w on the ring gear and it smoothed out a bit but not as smooth as a 3.23 SG chunk I have next to it which was perfectly smooth but also covered in 90w oil. I can't see any obvious misalignment on the gear teeth.

so:

1) Does something sound really wrong or could it just be "dry"
2) Would dying the teeth and spinning them for a wear indication tell if there is trouble? is so where do you get the dye (I tried paint...didn't work)
3) Should I just throw it in and see what happnes?

AK

Chryco Psycho

well generally if you can feel it it is bad , probably a brg going away on the pinion
ask your buddy how loud he has the radio turned up !!!

AKcharger