News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 to a 528 stroker

Started by 68chargerboy, April 06, 2010, 08:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

so ive read about alot of people doing 500ci strokers and some doing 512 strokers, but i dont really hear of anyone doing a 528.  any reasons behind this? or am i just not smart enough to see it lol  thanks

Zach

mauve66

have you seen a kit for it?? the most i've seen from a stock block is a 512, but if you got a siamesed new block from indy or world or whoever makes it then i guess its possible but the block itself is like 3 grand or so i think
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Cooter

The 528 Engine is normally built using a MOPAR 4.500 Bore Block with a 4.150 Crank....I guess one COULD use a 4.375 Crank, with a .030 440 block, but not really sure if there's enough room, and external oiling.. See, just because a 5" stroke crank will phisically fit inside the stock block, doesn't mean it's nessesarily better....Side loading of pistons really effects the longevity of a street engine..This isn't really a concern when your tearing down a race engine after every season is over....The longer the stroke, the more the crank tries to shove the pistons out the side of the block upon coming around on the upstroke...This is a big concern with the F**D 460 Cu. In.small block Windsor engine as well as the 427 ...When I spend $8000.00 on a stroker motor, it better last another 13 Years like my 'ol 505 has...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68chargerboy

440 source sells a 528 kit for a stock block.  so what your saying is its a waste of time to do i 528? just curious. 

BrianShaughnessy

If you gotta go external oiling you might as well go bigger.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

68chargerboy

so external oiling is the main reason why people dont want to go with that size stroker?

Cooter- the car that this would go in if my dreams ever come true would be primarly a track car with a short cruise every so often to the local car shows in town. with what your saying about the pistons being smashed up against the cylinders how long would you suspect until the motor needs a rebuild?

oldkimmer

............440 source also has a 543 kit 4 the stock block............Hensley does alot of the 520 in a stock block.............kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chryco Psycho

I use the 512 kit mostly , it retains the internal oiling system & has a decent rod ratio using the 7.1" con rods

68chargerboy

so it sounds like most of you are saying that i should go with the 512, im sure 512ci can still make around 650 ponies  :2thumbs:

dstryr

My 505" using the 512 kit made 598hp and 651tq, 10.2:1 and comp cams XS290S cam with mildly ported Source heads and a basically stock 6bbl intake and carb setup.  650hp would require more compression and better breathing. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

mauve66

Quote from: dstryr on April 09, 2010, 05:33:01 PM
My 505" using the 512 kit made 598hp and 651tq, 10.2:1 and comp cams XS290S cam with mildly ported Source heads and a basically stock 6bbl intake and carb setup.  650hp would require more compression and better breathing. 

so you have a 512 instead of a 505, right??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

dstryr

512" if the pistons are -.015", per 440Source's site, or closer to 505" with my deck height if I figured it correctly. :scratchchin:  That's what my math gave me a couple of years ago, anyway. :cheers:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Challenger340

It can get awfully confusing when talking Strokers from a "What's Best" standpoint for alot of Guys, especially the understanding of "where" they make their Power ?

Not trying to confuse the Issue, but remember here, aside from Internal Geometry/Rod Ratio/Cam and Balancing Factors, which CAN effect "where" events take place and HOW, it's still important to keep in mind the Engines "Potential" as it relates to Cylinder Heads.
My point being;
BIGGER is not always BETTER in an application ?

It boils down to BTU's of heat energy that can be burned in a Given Compressor size ?
You can never exceed the Maximum Horsepower that can the HEADS can "deliver", no matter how BIG you make the Compressor underneath.

Example;
Take 2 "Compressors",
1 BIG at 400 Cubic Inchs being supplied Air/Fuel through an "Opening"(Cyl Head)
and
1 SMALL at 200 Cubic Inchs being supplied Air/Fuel through the same "Opening" as the BIGGER Engine above(Cyl. Head)

If anyone can see from the above "Example", that there are only so many BTU's of heat energy that can be delivered "Efficiently" from a GIVEN Head, and that Obviously a 400 Incher reachs that "Finite" supply twice as fast as the 200 Incher, if you are getting my point ?

Especially when discussing under 300 cfm Eddy or Stealth Heads, and ABOVE 500 Cubic Inchs ?
unless,
you are running 3.55 Gears and shifting at around low 5000's rpm ?

Just Remember "Driving Style", when looking at the BIGGER Strokers, for WHAT you WANT, and WHERE ?
How Much Gearing, Highway Cruising, etc., etc.
:Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

Quote from: dstryr on April 10, 2010, 01:55:21 AM
512" if the pistons are -.015", per 440Source's site, or closer to 505" with my deck height if I figured it correctly. :scratchchin:  That's what my math gave me a couple of years ago, anyway. :cheers:

?????

Bore and stroke define displacement.  It has nothing to do with the deck or piston height

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

dstryr

You're right, that other volume stuff is for compressioin ratio.
The .030" over kit yields 505, the .060" over kit yields 512.
Sorry 'bout that. :brickwall:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

Musicman

... and since you have the 0.030 over kit, your Monster is a 505  :icon_smile_big:

68chargerboy

Quote from: dstryr on April 09, 2010, 05:33:01 PM
wow! those are some good numbers!! more compression is what im planning on doing too,  planning on running e-85  :2thumbs:  did u port the source heads yourself? the reason i ask is because i really want to get indy's on top but being a poor man like me then stealth heads make much more sense in the wallet.  and heads are always somthing that are easy to change a few years down the road when i have some money  :icon_smile_big:

zach

dstryr

I had the head work done at Harry's in Sioux City, IA.  OOTB they flowed approx 254cfm intake side and after approx 283cfm.  They also back-cut the valves, did a valve job, corrected the installed height, and reassembled them with comp cams 10* locks and retainers. 
FS
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

68chargerboy

Quote from: dstryr on April 13, 2010, 03:25:06 PM
I had the head work done at Harry's in Sioux City, IA.  OOTB they flowed approx 254cfm intake side and after approx 283cfm.  They also back-cut the valves, did a valve job, corrected the installed height, and reassembled them with comp cams 10* locks and retainers. 
FS

appreciate the info  :2thumbs: