News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

451 STROKER HELP

Started by nosman, April 12, 2010, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosman

HI GUYS NEW MEMBER, TRYING A TURN A 73 400 TO 451 STROKER.  A 440 CRANK CUT TO 400 SPECS.I SAW I HAVE TO 45 COUNTER WEIGHTS. CAN I USE NEW  STOCK 440 RODS, OR  400 RODS. OR DO YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA FOR RODS. I WOULD LIKE TO SPEND AROUND 250.00 RODS.ALSO NEED BRAND NAME AND  PART NUMBERS  .  ALSO  WHAT PISTIONS DO I NEED TO USE,  BRAND NAMES AND PART NUMBERS. I WOULD LIKE TO SPEND SOME WHERE AROUND 550.00 FOR PISTIONS , WHAT  PINS DO I NEED.  SIZES, BRAND, AND PART NUMBERS  ,  AND WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET PARTS.   I WANT TO USE 509  PURPLE MP HYD CAM 452 STEEL HEADS BY INDY. I ALSO NEED ANY DECK OR BORE SPEC. OR ANY SIZES TO HELP MY MECHINE SHOP GET THIS DONE. THAT WOULD BE GREAT . THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH  KENNY/NOSMAN

71383bee

This will answer just about all of your questions...451's are AWESOME sleeper engines!

http://www.arengineering.com/articles/articleframe.html
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

BBKNARF

Welcome to the forum Kenny, that's a great little monster combo, I also run a 451, I'm using the stock 383/400 connecting rod but you can also use the 440 rod as well but with a differate piston.
I'm sure other members of this forum will help you out they have tons of knowledge. There's alot of places out there that sell parts and stroker kits like www.440source.com , www.hughesengines.com

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

nosman

thanks for that  web sight. lots of stuff buy. i have been to 440 source before. just trying to round up the parts i need. my motor is at the machine shop right now . if i get this right i can use my 4oo rods and  how does that run !!! and how does the 440 stock rods run !!! and last but not least should i just go and buy high dollar rods for Clarance reasons or length  . the pin holes are diffrent.  je   Keith black  wesco  diamond  what to use, what to use !!!!!! we will get this . to much info to take in  at once  :brickwall: 451 or 470 what to do   thanks nosman 

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

aifilaw

I hate to plug my own thread, but since you are looking at 440 source and stroker kits, I will say give this a read, I'm sure there are a dozen other threads out there with the same story, have the machine shop check, and recheck the tolerances and be prepared to clean up some of the journals for the rotating assembly. if its not a shop you trust implicitly, have them right down each one for you so you know they did it and what you will have to work with.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50029.0/all.html
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

nosman

So brothers who got the crank to drop in this 451 stroker. 440 source 600.00 and a 10/10 cut. or a eagle  crank or do they need some work to. or does any body have one laying around they will part with.  A 010 / 010 cut would be great  . i would rather give my money to a mopar brother than big company any way !!!!  i found new kb  i beam  stock 440 rods for 159.00 on eBay. and i am still looking for some good  pistons. i will find them. thank you for all of your help   :2thumbs: nosman

Challenger340

What is it you are looking for ?
A Crank "prepped", and ready to "drop in",
for a 400 Block in either 451 or 472 configuration ?

HEMI 8 Bolt or Wedge 6 Bolt Flange ?

IMO,
I'd steer clear of $150 Dollar offshore Rods.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

oldschool

quote:IMO,
I'd steer clear of $150 Dollar offshore Rods

i second that! i would spend money on re-doing stock rods first,before buying that stuff..........
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

aifilaw

Quote from: nosman on April 14, 2010, 01:46:47 AM
So brothers who got the crank to drop in this 451 stroker. 440 source 600.00 and a 10/10 cut. or a eagle  crank or do they need some work to. or does any body have one laying around they will part with.  A 010 / 010 cut would be great  . i would rather give my money to a mopar brother than big company any way !!!!  i found new kb  i beam  stock 440 rods for 159.00 on eBay. and i am still looking for some good  pistons. i will find them. thank you for all of your help   :2thumbs: nosman

Check the for sale section on this site and cuda-challenger.com. every so often I see someone unloading a rotating assembly.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

nosman

ETHER ONE WILL WORK I AM GOING TO CHANGE MY FLEX PLATE ANY WAY THANKS KENNY/NOSMAN   javascript:void(0);

nosman

THANKS AIFILW WILL DO THAT. I DID FIND A EAGLE 3.75 STROKE AND A 6.760 ROD FOR A 400 B MOTOR. WILL THIS DROP IN  FOR 600.00  PT#440037506760  AND WHERE TO GET RODS THAT WONT KILL THE BANK  THANKS NOSMAN  javascript:void(0);

nosman

SORRY CHALLENGER340  I WOULD LIKE A 451 SET UP