News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

summer tires

Started by flyinlow, April 12, 2010, 02:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I was looking at Tireracks web site, Ultra high performance summer tires. What do you give up in cold weather?

I drive the Charger in Ohio winters. Not snow , but cold temps with clear roads.  I have the standard 245/60/15 and 275/60/15 BFG's now. Do the summer tires become a concern in below freezing temps.

HPP

There can be any variety of features, but a biggie is kerfing. Winter tires have lots of kerfs to provide a lot of biting edges in the wet and yuck. Those same kerfs in a summer performance tire contribute to tread squirm. Without the kerfs, and the typical summer performance tread pattern, a tire can pack up with snow and slush quickley and not shed the snow easily and turn in a slick pretty quickly. Temp isn't as much of a factor, but with tire technology now days, it could be.

CDN72SE

From what I have read All-season tires/summer tires can begin to lose their grip when the temperature drops below -10°C (14 °F). Winter tires remain more flexible than all-season tires in colder temperatures. I'm in Ontario Canada, don't drive my Charger in winter (well it's in pieces now) but on my Intrepid R/T I run winter tires, the compound is different and holds the road better.
1972 Charger SE