News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Done the seat belt up grade today.

Started by charger Downunder, April 11, 2010, 03:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

My young kids want to ride in the charger all the time so to make it safer i switched out the original belts and got modern ones.
The hardest part of the job was working out what belts to buy.
I only had to drill two 12mm holes in the rear parcel shelf, all of the original mounting positions were used.
No more shoulder belt across my neck and now i am not chasing the front belts from between the seat and console. I have listed what i used and provided pics to assist anyone else doing the conversion. These are Aussie belts and part numbers.

Klippan Belts Used

One K7654 75/90 Retractor front right side use on left side with 350mm stalk buckle.

One K7655 75/90 Retractor front left side use on right side with 350mm stalk buckle.

Two K7099 Drop link 250mm to use on front belts.

One K1637 Lap belt for rear centre webb buckle 275mm.

Two K5186 180/180 retractor.These mount under parcel shelf and you can draw the belt up through the original shoulder belt slots with webb buckle 275mm.

Two K6040 Retractor cover for front belts.I had to modify this slightly.

Two Seat belt guides from cuda/challenger i had to modify these slightly to get them to work.

[/quote]

tan top

:scope:  nice job !  very neat &  tidy !  looks great ! :coolgleamA: :yesnod: , yeah them orginal belts drive me nuts also :yesnod: , might do something like that to mine now   :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

roger01

bull

Nice work. Now you'll have to figure out how to get the steering wheel back on the correct side. :angel:

Charger RT

I like it had to do a double take when I relised it was right hand steering. We don't see enough of them. I would love to have one here in th US.
But again nice belts.
Tim

Hemidog

Looks nice, but is fastening the shoulder strap to the package tray enough in a crash?  :scratchchin:
Just asking..
I guess it's better than the 2-point harness.

charger Downunder

[/quote]

charger Downunder

Quote from: Hemidog on April 11, 2010, 05:00:06 PM
Looks nice, but is fastening the shoulder strap to the package tray enough in a crash?  :scratchchin:
Just asking..
I guess it's better than the 2-point harness.
On the top side of the package tray there is a metal reinforsing plate it comes in the kit.
[/quote]

doctor4766

Quote from: charger Downunder on April 11, 2010, 06:39:41 PM
Quote from: roger01 on April 11, 2010, 08:33:22 AM
good job ....who makes those belts
Klippan Belts Used

I too have installed retractables in my '69 (front only) using the original mounting holes at the bottom and the top hanger. The belt angle is awkward.
The problem I have is if the car's on any sort of angle, the belts are almost impossible to pull out.
How did you get around that issue if you even had it?
Gotta love a '69

charger Downunder

The belts i used on the front are designed to be on an angle. They are hard to get started only if on a very steep slope.When the car is level no problem.
75/90 was the retractor angle i ordered for the front.
If you have a lumpy cam it can wobble the retractor ball in these modern belts and make it hard to put on while the engine is running.
[/quote]

Derwud

Wish we could get those rear kits here, probably a legal nightmare...
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

alfaitalia

Quote from: charger Downunder on April 11, 2010, 03:29:31 AM
My young kids want to ride in the charger all the time so to make it safer i switched out the original belts and got modern ones.
The hardest part of the job was working out what belts to buy.
I only had to drill two 12mm holes in the rear parcel shelf, all of the original mounting positions were used.
No more shoulder belt across my neck and now i am not chasing the front belts from between the seat and console. I have listed what i used and provided pics to assist anyone else doing the conversion. These are Aussie belts and part numbers.

Klippan Belts Used

One K7654 75/90 Retractor front right side use on left side with 350mm stalk buckle.

One K7655 75/90 Retractor front left side use on right side with 350mm stalk buckle.

Two K7099 Drop link 250mm to use on front belts.

One K1637 Lap belt for rear centre webb buckle 275mm.

Two K5186 180/180 retractor.These mount under parcel shelf and you can draw the belt up through the original shoulder belt slots with webb buckle 275mm.

Two K6040 Retractor cover for front belts.I had to modify this slightly.

Two Seat belt guides from cuda/challenger i had to modify these slightly to get them to work.

Wow ....different topic but did not know they ever built a right hand drive B charger. I was (miss)informed that all Bs were left hand drive.....unless you converted it of course. Was it just for 1970 or is there such a thing as a RHD 69 Charger? It would be amazing to find one of those for use here in the UK.......another Country where we drive on the correct side of the road!!! LOL!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

charger Downunder

Mate the car was built left hand drive, converted to right hand drive in Australia in 1970. I remember in Sydney there was about 15 Chargers in the early 80"s that had been converted to right hand drive from 68-70. Don't know where these early right hand drive Chargers are today just don't see them anymore.
[/quote]

alfaitalia

Cool...Would love to find a  right hook 69....not gonna happen though...and I certainly would not want the expense of converting one.....my project is gonna be pricey enough as it is! I don't mind driving LHD cars on the left side of the road in fact I've owned two...a German spec current shape Beetle (just a fill in car..honest!) and a mid eighties Lancia Delta Integrals...great car I should have kept, even with the golden body lightener!...but the only time it gets a bit dodgy is overtaking...most of the time the car is half way over the centre line before you can see the oncoming truck!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!