News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aaaargg... i have diff killing Charger

Started by kingjoop, April 09, 2010, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingjoop

I give it up... my Charger eats diffs  :eek2:

Today my 3rd diff (8 3/4) got killend by my Charger..  :flame: i had only 50 miles on it this time..

here's how it started..

when i was rebuilding the car, i got myself a brand new diff @ randy's ring a pinion.. 4.10 with yukon locker.. my charger killed it after about 300 miles... wrong oil? i was thinking.. but no.. Randy's ring a pinion sayd it was alright.. so i put in my spare diff (highway gear) so i could drive and orderd a new diff again.. after 150 miles.. the diff got killed again.. wtf? i swapped the driveline axle with my buddy's Charger hoping that was the problem.. new diff arived.. got in and tonight it freaking broke down again after 50 miles..

anybody knows what going on? i'm getting crazy (and broke) here  :brickwall:

thanks  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mauve66

axle end play not set right?? maybe that would effect the axle bearings though???
sure sucks, hope it gets better
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger RT

what fails on them? Is it the same issue on all of them?
Tim

tan top

Quote from: RD on April 09, 2010, 06:23:28 PM
pinion angle not right maybe?

thats what i was thinking  :scratchchin:  but  50 miles thats quick  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kingjoop

first time it was my locker that got broke:

pic:

2nd time.. dunno... not the locker, course it didnt had any  :icon_smile_big: i just trown it in the corner of the garage.. ill have to go out to the garage and check it  :coolgleamA:
i remember i was on the highway, not going that fast and a big boom and high noise.. and when i stopped oil was comming out of the front (bearing)..

3rd one.. i just putted the car in the garage tonight and left it course i was not in the mood..  :-\
same thing.. i was driving about 40m/h and big bang and high noise again.. i just drove it home.. (went ok, but strange high noise)..

Charger RT

I assume you are swapping out pumpkins and reusing the housing?
If so are you getting the housing very very clean?
Is the metal getting to the axle bearings? And have they been geeting replaced with the pumkins?
Tim

kingjoop

eeuh... my english aint that good  :scratchchin: so dont understand all..  :angel:

what i've done is replace the whole diff, so including the housing..

i took out the axles from the 8 3/4 housing and checked the splines (nothing went wrong there)... cleaned the axles and housing... put them back in with the new diff (housing, ring and pinion and locker)..

it has brand new heavy duty springs (summit) under it.. and adjustable pinion snubber..

elacruze

What abuse is the rear end taking?
Burnouts?
Holeshots?
Donuts?

Maybe you just need a Dana 60.  :shruggy:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

You are sure you don't have two different size tires on either side of the rear right? 1/2 inch in difference can cause you all kinds of problems...

Remember that today, most metal parts are being machined and manufactured cheaper and cheaper...I can only hope that Randy's R&P isn't secoming to this practice in order to keep profits up....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Has the differential housing been checked for straightness from axle bearing to axle bearing?

bordin34

Is that your Charger I remember doing endless donuts in a couple videos?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

kingjoop

yes, sometimes i abuse the car with donuts and burnouts.. but last 2 diff's i didn't...  :angel:

think i better put my ride in the shed for a while and save up for a dana60  :scratchchin: don't wanna put to mutch money in experimenting anymore  :-\

tan top

Quote from: Charger RT on April 09, 2010, 07:01:16 PM
Is the metal getting to the axle bearings? And have they been geeting replaced with the pumkins?
Tim

yes that was my next thought ! :scratchchin: 

could be your driving style  needs a DANA ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger RT

Quote from: kingjoop on April 09, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
eeuh... my english aint that good  :scratchchin: so dont understand all..  :angel:

what i've done is replace the whole diff, so including the housing..

i took out the axles from the 8 3/4 housing and checked the splines (nothing went wrong there)... cleaned the axles and housing... put them back in with the new diff (housing, ring and pinion and locker)..

it has brand new heavy duty springs (summit) under it.. and adjustable pinion snubber..
Do you have a 500 CI engine in it like your signiture shows?

What housing numbers are on the 8 3/4 center sections you are using?

Your english is just fine. I would not have known it was your second language if you did not post it. The problem is we use many words for the same thing. For an example the center section of the rear I have heard called many things over the years. center section, chunk, pumpkin, pig and a few more I can't think of right now.
Tim

kingjoop

Yes, a 500 stroker engine  :cheers:

742 cases (those are the one Randy's ring a pinion used for me).. d*mm things cost me 1400$ and they told me it would be no trouble with the 500 stroker in front of it..  :shruggy:

ah.. i see.. i understood the pumpkin, but could not connect the word to a mopart  :lol:

kingjoop

Quote from: tan top on April 10, 2010, 06:08:49 AM
Tim

yes that was my next thought ! :scratchchin: 

could be your driving style  needs a DANA ;)

this morning i started to save $$ for the Moser dana  :D or someone here mus have a spare dana i could buy   :D
stupid shipping will cost me a furtune to the Netherlands  :brickwall:

Rob R

Your housing is BENT...and bent bad...did you weld on it?

elacruze

Tim

Oh daaaaammm.....

Yeah I missed the obvious, I trust you are cleaning all the scraps from previous explosions out of the housing, end to end?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

kingjoop

Quote from: Rob R on April 10, 2010, 09:29:52 AM
Your housing is BENT...and bent bad...did you weld on it?

i didn't.. not sure if previous owner did?   :shruggy:

i have a swaybar on top of my 8 3/4, would that have anything to do with it?  :shruggy:

Quote from: elacruze on April 10, 2010, 09:36:51 AM

Oh daaaaammm.....

Yeah I missed the obvious, I trust you are cleaning all the scraps from previous explosions out of the housing, end to end?

Yes, cleaned it all out.. also used high presure water to clean the 8 /34 itself..

Manifold

I'm with the bend housing crowd... or, any chance the rear end isn't mounted square in the car? Maybe the new springs have contributed to having the housing misaligned - did you start eating third members before or after the new springs?

Good luck figuring this one out. I would think the 8 3/4 would be adequate for your setup.

kingjoop

i'm the second owner of this car... car has been sitting in a shed since 1972 till i got it in feb. 2004.. i never drove it before the rebuild..

first i had a different problem with the car.. it snapt my tranny end housing (a few times) when i put the pedal to the metal... i shorted my driveline axle by a inch and had to buy a new tranny (i hated this becourse the wrecked one was a new tranny rebuild up 2 1100HP (manuel valve)).. but that problem is solved now.. but still having the diff problem.. this drive line has cost me to mutch money now.. wanna get the car fixed so i can start enjoying it since i got it :brickwall: :eek2:

:cheers:

Rob R

The car has been in the ditch...(dukes of hazard kinda thing) the shock plates are most likely bent a bit along with the rear end housing.When you see spider and axle gears eaten up like that the housing is to blame . And when the tail shaft breaks alignment is the issue... :Twocents:

b5blue

I question "Locker" locker is for drag racing in a straight line you want a limited slip (Tru Trac) Those "doughnuts" would raise hell on a locker rear with your large rear tires traction and all that torque I would think!  :shruggy:

flyinlow

Wheel hop? Doing burnouts or donuts over rough pavement?

I would think a healthy 8 3/4 axle with street tires and a good suspension could do lots of burnouts without breaking.