News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trade or not to trade?

Started by wickerdave, April 09, 2010, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wickerdave

I have a 1968 Charger, with 383HP Auto/floor console, 727 etc.  needs to be restored but everything is there. Interior and glass in good shape, underside in good shape. Intenntion is to rotisserie restore the car.  The other night a fellow shows up at my door, has seen my charger setting in front of my garage. He looking for a 68 Charger and wants to trade me his 1970 Charger 500 for my 68. 500 is a 383 car, auto/console etc.  I have only seen pictursa so far but his seems to be in a bit better shape than mine but I need to see in person. I do believe his interior my be not to good and I beleive that was the major upgrade for a 500 (high backed bucket seats)  What do you think, trade or no trade I'm not sure if I like the front end on the 70 vs. my 68 and 70 headlights are electric which he says will oen but have to be closed by hand, mine of course are vacume.

PocketThunder

It sounds like its entirely up to what year you prefer.  I'd vote for which ever car needs the least work though, in this case maybe the 1970.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ITSA426

Less working time is more driving time.

68X426

If you are not fixing the 68, then why get a 70 that needs fixing? :shruggy: :shruggy:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

I'm not a fan of the 70 so there's no way I'd trade one of my 68s for one of those (unless it was completed lopsided like a six pack car for a 318 and then I'd probably flip it). The 500 is nothing special in a 70 so I wouldn't rely on that as much as I would overall condition. If you like the 70 and the car is in better shape than go for it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TeeWJay426

Depends on condition. You didn't mention if this was an even trade or not, and if his is road ready now (sounds like yours isn't....). If his is driveable now, while yours is awaiting a resto, I'd go for it..... btu you need to see the car for yourself and make that determination.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

wickerdave

I'm sure that he is thinking even trade, I'm thinking trade +$. He says his 70 was parked five years ago after breaking a power steering hose, and he guarantees that with a new battery, power steering hose and gas, it will run.  His dash has no pad so I'm assuming his interior is trashed.  Mine is not. He says underside in great shape but being parked in a field for five years has got to have taken a toll I have never started my 383,(needs new wiring and can't get spark) but it turns over freely. Also I have two complete 440 engines with 727 transmissions in the shed.  I think the two things holding me back is that mine is a 68 (year I graduated and had a 68 charger) and that wrap around bumper on the 70. :shruggy: I guess I will have to wait and inspect his car.

kingjoop

in Holland we say 'Ruilen = Huilen'  :D

meaning; trading leads to crying..  ::)

1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

b5blue

I have a 70, all buckets are high back, the key is in the column, emergency flasher is part of the turn switch assembly, swaybar set up is moved inboard more on the lower control arms, 500 option is just a level of trim not a performance package, yes headlight doors are electric, dash is grained not ribbed and radios are a 1 year item so they are pricey (the radios have a slight "peak" to the face and cover plate), the door locks inside are moved from the 68/69 position a few inches, though rare "Bullet" shaped Ralley side mirrors were available in chrome or body color. Front bumpers, the rubber pads that go on the front over riders and grills are very pricey, that is most of the things changed and all I want to add is a car that "just sits" for 5 years can have many new issues like seals drying out and rust forming in the brake lines and rotors/drums to check for.    

Scaregrabber

I much prefer 70's so for me if they were equal condition I wouldn't be able to trade fast enough. However this decision is strictly yours, Only you can decide which you prefer and inspect both cars to see which one will have the best chance of keeping you interested.

Sheldon

hemi68charger

Quote from: kingjoop on April 10, 2010, 10:47:30 AM
in Holland we say 'Ruilen = Huilen'  :D

meaning; trading leads to crying..  ::)

Not for me.....  :icon_smile_big:

Seriously Dave, it boils down to which car you prefer and like better, for whatever reason (Rarity, emotional attachment, potential upgrade, getting on the road faster, etc.) As you already know, you need to either see a lot of photos of the car or in person.

Troy-trade,,,,,,, AB
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

model maker

Ask yourself this , " Why does the other guy want to trade ? :popcrn: :Twocents:
MODEL MAKER

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on April 09, 2010, 02:07:03 PM
I'm not a fan of the 70 so there's no way I'd trade one of my 68s for one of those (unless it was completed lopsided like a six pack car for a 318 and then I'd probably flip it). Troy

agreed, i've never been able to get over the front bumper.... sorry guys :(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Khyron on April 11, 2010, 10:54:32 PM
I'm not a fan of the 70 so there's no way I'd trade one of my 68s for one of those (unless it was completed lopsided like a six pack car for a 318 and then I'd probably flip it). Troy

Gotta agree with that. Looks like a giant catfish rolling down the road at you from the front
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Brock Samson

oh, that's gonna leave a mark!  :-\   :lol:

tan top

Quote from: model maker on April 11, 2010, 10:12:10 PM
Ask yourself this , " Why does the other guy want to trade ? :popcrn: :Twocents:

yeah thats a point , wonder why :scratchchin: :popcrn:

one thing i would think about !! if i were rebuilding A charger & doing it to how i wanted , but  keeping to what was available as an option that model year !!    70 as there were some awesome  high impack colors to chose from & much better intteriors  :Twocents:  SE  :yesnod:
hope this  makes sence  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
think i would still go for the 68 , but  but then again i like the 70 also  :shruggy: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Khyron

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 12, 2010, 12:51:07 AM
oh, that's gonna leave a mark!  :-\   :lol:

what??? I thought I was tactful ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Cooter

Only way I'd do it would be if I need a donor car to convert to a General Lee....Otherwise, the '68 would stay...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Green71R/T

The 68 has more parts that are being produced so it will be an easier project.You know what your car needs already.I believe the resale value is better on a 68.You know where my vote is.

squeakfinder

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on April 12, 2010, 12:28:35 AM
Quote from: Khyron on April 11, 2010, 10:54:32 PM

Gotta agree with that. Looks like a giant catfish rolling down the road at you from the front

Not enough  :poke:

There's just something about the front of a 70 that remind's me of.......

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

wickerdave

The guy that wants to trade wants my 68 to convert to a General Lee clone.  Thank you all for your opinions.  They confirm what I guess I've known all along. A. The 68 doesn't leave my property, and B. it's time to start the restoration.  Guess I'd better dig out my plans for building a rotisserie and get started.  I also have a guide for building a pavement ripping 440 on a budget that a guy I met put together for me.  He was an engine builder for Dick Landy for about 10 years.  Has some neat veteran drag racers tricks built in.  Be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

Darkman

Quote from: wickerdave on April 12, 2010, 08:41:58 PM
The guy that wants to trade wants my 68 to convert to a General Lee clone.  

All the more reason not to trade. As much as I enjoy seeing General Lee clones, I think they should be kept to the 69 (although the 68's do look good as a GL).

Glad to see that you have decided to keep the 68!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Khyron

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 12, 2010, 08:40:44 PM

Not enough  :poke:

There's just something about the front of a 70 that remind's me of.......

ohhhhhhhh i would take that :)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.