News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I alone?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, April 08, 2010, 03:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

When I go to carshows or other events where chargers and other Mopars are around I find myself looking for the imperfections I think I have on my car. It's just like I want to see how others have solved certain issues or how "perfect" they have polished a
molding, how big are the gaps etc. Anybody else having this sickness? Never had this before, then I just enjoyed the cars.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

68X426

You are not alone. It's every car, every time for me. :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

oldcarnut

I don't go looking for imperfections but like in anythings else, if you have worked with something long enough, you can spot things that others wouldn't notice or give a second thought.  It happens with me on other things besides cars.  Take for instance machine or tool and die work.  I was a machinist and a toolmaker for almost 15yrs so now when I get parts or stuff made I tend to have a more critical eye for defects, poor machine work, or the quality that I otherwise wouldn't pay attention to.  Same thing now when I repair CNC machine equipment when I have to go behind others and see their work.  I would only see it as a problem if it made you want to criticize or make fun of others maybe with less talent.  Nothing wrong with looking at things to see how else something got done or even to improve your own.   Sometimes ignorance can be bliss or it can be a headache.

69bronzeT5

Your not alone Per.....I was doing the same thing this summer. Especially considering the Mopars my Duster was surrounded by.....

However, I've used it as inspiration and motive. For this year the whole engine compartment will be redone (so it's not gold!), I got the new tires and Rallye wheels on, redoing the carpet and headliner, new front bumper and repainted grille and I'll make sure the car is reliable so I won't be worried and load the trunk full of tools (hence why it's sitting low in the back).
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

baullz

Oh ya you are not alone I was just at a show on the 27th of March and I love to nit pick things on other cars.  I dont know why I do it but I do. 

One of the major things I really look at on 69-70 Chargers are the taillights and how most of the time they are dull and unpolished.  This just makes me want to get mine looking better then new, it gives me motivation just like 69bronzeT5 said.

BB1

Delete my profile

Belgium R/T -68

I think one of the problems is that I see things on my car that propably nobody else will see and that's why I want to know
how it looks on other cars. In the beginning of the project it was more looking for ideas and seeing how others had made certain
details so I guess it has to do where you are in a project.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tan top

yeah its like that when your in the paint work/ body  game , your looking for  gaps ,  off color panels , masking lines  , patchy metallic thats just in the parking lot   :smilie_help: :image_294343::image_294343:    :yesnod: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Magnumcharger

Sorry to say...I'm the biggest nit-picker I know.
And yes, that means I go to car shows and pick the cars apart. Not to be funny, but I think it's a touch of OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder).
And it extends into everything I do.

So sometimes I have to take a chill pill (as my wife says) and accept the fact that NOTHING is perfect.
And no, I don't point out the flaws I see to anybody - especially the owner of the vehicle.

However, it has served me well in my present occupation of Non Destructive testing inspector. Any defect I find in an aircraft could potentially cost people their lives. So it pays to be analytical.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Scaregrabber

I stopped that activity a few years ago. I really try now just to enjoy the different cars and overlook what I consider are flaws. I'm really trying to make the hobby more fun for myself and would like to get back to the time when I drove my cars everyday and had fun by streetracing them and not sitting around at an outdoor car show.

Sheldon