News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BMWs anyone??

Started by Foreman72, April 08, 2010, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

Does anyone here dabble in the world of BMWs at all? I will be buying an E30 soon (91 325i) and I was wondering if anyone else has one in their garage... :popcrn:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

RD

I have a 94 318i 4 door and I love it.  Nice 4 cylinder, decent mpg (29-31), rwd, MAGNIFICENT HANDLING AND RIDE, very very comfortable seating, lots of room, sunroof and very reliable.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HITMAN 149

i want a 2001 740I sport!!!!!!! next year... OR IF WE EVER GET OUR NEW CONTRACT!! RAISE & OUR RETRO PAY FROM THE CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!  :flame:
i have lots pf friends w/ beemers and they LOVE EMMMMMMMMMM!!! lol
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

elacruze

I'll just drive my Charger.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

THE STIG

Dude, bimmers are generally well built rides my dad had a late 80's 318 many years ago he scored at an auction that he used as a beater, and then my brother in law had a mid 90s 325i a few years ago, both of these cars had about a million miles on them and both ran extremly well. The only real problems I can recall was that my dad kept replacing the tire on the same wheel, (don't really recall why) and my brother in law got pulled over a lot for dumb petty shit. Both of these cars outlived their usefulness and were sold to new owners, my brother in law even sold his for a little more than he initally paid for it. Personally the E30 and E36 are my favorite body styles but they really don't have a whole lot going on in the performance category, at least not by todays standards, or when compared to a Big Block Mopar. In general a used BMW will probably be more reliable than a comprabale Honda, GM, Ford or what ever else you may be looking at but you will probably also pay more, but then you can have more fun on the twisty roads. Some things to know about BMW 1.All are Rear Whel Drive 2.The numbers in the model name refer to the series and engine displacement i.e. a 325 is a 3 series with a 2.5L straight 6, 3. Don't call a BMW car "beemer" that term refers to a BMW motorcycle, the cars are "bimmers". That last one may sound like useless information but if you make that mistake in the presance of a BMW enthusiast it would be like some yokel asking you if your Charger has a 350 in it.

If your looking for specific problem areas, the 2.5 "i" engine uses a rubber timing belt that will last about 50k-60k miles and should be replaced in these intervals or it will break, A high idle may be due to a defective idle control valve, look for a white residue around the radiator, If it's a stick a replacmnt clutch will run you about $1000. Check the steering components for signs of power steering leaks if the steering rack needs replaced that's another grand. These are some of the bigger and more expensive issues common to the early 90s E30s there are a few others but those seem to be the big ones. You can also check out this http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Buyers-Guide-Fred-Larimer/dp/0760310998/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270822197&sr=1-8, it's a good source but it's not a repair manual it's a buyers guide so it may not be worth the $25 but you can check you local library. Any thing else you would like to know?