News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny wont go to 3rd when it's warmed up

Started by kingjoop, April 07, 2010, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingjoop

We are having a little trouble with a 727 tranny when it's getting warm.

From a cold start the tranny works great, it has a manuel valve body and console shifter. No trouble at al... but when we keep driving and the car is getting warmed up it wont go to 3rd gear anymore.  :shruggy:

Someone knows what this could be? Thanks!  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

RD

does it just rev up without movement or stay in 2nd gear?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

kingjoop

lisiecki1

stuck valve in the valve body once everything expands from the heat maybe?  or a slipping band when the trans fluid gets warm and thins out?

how many miles on the trans and valve body?

How does the fluid look/smell on the dipstick?

Any additives in the trans fluid?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

elacruze

Could be as simple as a loose valve body, leaks when expanded. Could be cracked. Could be worn clutches, could be a worn pump.
Could be a worn governor or spool.

How long have you noticed it, how quickly did it come on?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

kingjoop

Quote from: lisiecki1 on April 08, 2010, 07:34:03 AM
stuck valve in the valve body once everything expands from the heat maybe?  or a slipping band when the trans fluid gets warm and thins out?

how many miles on the trans and valve body?

How does the fluid look/smell on the dipstick?

Any additives in the trans fluid?

the tranny was recently rebuild (according to the previous owner), let's say a few 1000 miles on it...

fluid looks and smell great.. oil that comes out looks brand new.. filter is clean to..

Not sure what you mean with your last line, never had english @ school (i'm Dutch) :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: elacruze on April 08, 2010, 10:52:58 AM

How long have you noticed it, how quickly did it come on?

pretty quick.. was on the road when it started.. first a few shifts for/back-ward did the job till home.. since then always when the tranny gets warmed-up  :scratchchin:

elacruze

Starting to sound like a check ball not seating well, maybe a little dirt. If 1 and 2 gear are firm even when hot, more likely that 3 gear circuit has a problem. Low pressure from leaks cracks or pump would likely show up in 1-2 also. I'll step aside and let the auto trans gurus take it from here, that's about the end of my knowledge.

If I was at home alone, I'd take the pan off and degrease the valve body best I could, but I'd probably take the wrong thing loose and lose a ball or spring.  :misbehaving:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

John_Kunkel

Since it has a manual VB I doubt if that's the problem because there isn't much to go wrong in a manual.

Since it relates to temperature and the fluid gets thinner with temperature there is probably excessive leakage somewhere in the front clutch, the thicker cold fluid won't leak at the same rate that the thinner warm fluid will.

The front clutch is used for both 3rd gear and Reverse, how is Reverse if you give it hard throttle when warmed up?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

kingjoop

Reverse works ok, when it's in Reverse and you put your feet down it starts spinning the wheels..

John_Kunkel

It could still be a front clutch problem because the line pressure triples in Reverse.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.