News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decision Time - Sell Charger or RR / WIW?

Started by Rallye Mike, April 06, 2010, 08:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rallye Mike

It's been awhile so I have forgotten my password and secret question, so I am back with a slightly changed name.
I'm not a guy who normally asks for opinions on personal stuff, but I'm going to pose a question hoping for more insight into a decision I just can't seem to make. I have been flip-flopping on this for more than a year and it's driving me nuts:

I've been slowly trimming down the Mopar fleet to what is now 4 hobby cars. Now I'm set on reducing to only 3 total, but I can't seem to pull the trigger. One of these has to go:

1. 1974 440 Rallye Charger, non-matching 71 440/727, all stock, Yellow on black with the performance hood paint and not many other options other than AM/FM and bucket seats. Factory Mopar 15x8 Rallye wheels and newer BFGs. Restored in 1988-1991 with all NOS and original parts. Average paint quality. Never rusty. Great car but never gets driven, so it needs some work like a carb cleaning and adjustment, the clock died, and some of the boots on the front suspension components are shot. Only 213 of these were made. Owned it since 1987.

2. 1972 Roadrunner, 400/727, factory Hemi orange over black, buckets, perfect grille, moderate options, no rust, complete but needing the engine and trans rebuilt. Mostly original paint but the trunk, firewall, and engine compartment have been re-painted (resto started), and front suspension completely rebuilt. It looks like the pic below (without a sunroof chopped into it). Needs paint and would be sold assembled with a core trans and 72 factory replacement 400 engine block. $5k in repro parts to go with the car. The only thing missing to complete is the exhaust tips. About 7,000 of these were made. Owned it since about 2001.

Other factors:
I already have another Charger (72)
One of the reasons I don't drive the 74 is the mushier, isolated 73-74 suspension
Money raised selling them or finishing them is not too much a factor
I have limited time these days because of work commitments
I'm more of a racer than a chrome polisher or numbers guy
Neither of these cars, even though I have owned them awhile, really have a lot of sentimental value to me, though I do like them both.

Which one should go?
What is either worth in todays market?

73rallye440magnum

Hi Mike,

Your '74 is similar to my '73 u-code. Mine is currently for sale for $13,500. Mine does need a little more work than yours, but my resto is more recent. I can't read the market right now. There is a butt for every seat though.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

69bronzeT5

I'd keep the Roadrunner Mike because it's SWEET!!! :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

PocketThunder

+1   I'd keep the road runner also.   :Twocents:   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Bob

41husk

I would sell the Charger, only because you already have a 72 Charger the 72 road runner would be a nice contrast, 72 Dodge B body and 72 Plymouth B body.  What is the other car you are keeping?  You said cutting down to 3 cars You have the 2 Chargers and the RR, whats the fourth that you are not considering selling?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

tan top

keep the charger  :scratchchin: :yesnod: hmmm keep the roadrunner  :yesnod: :scratchchin:  no help am i  :slap:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on April 07, 2010, 08:44:53 AM

I would sell the Charger, only because you already have a 72 Charger the 72 road runner would be a nice contrast, 72 Dodge B body and 72 Plymouth B body.  What is the other car you are keeping?  You said cutting down to 3 cars You have the 2 Chargers and the RR, whats the fourth that you are not considering selling?

I agree, keep the Road Runner since you have a similar Charger already. Variety is the spice of life.   :D

I'd lean towards keeping the Road Runner no matter what though, I love the lines Plymouth had those years over Dodge.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

kurgan383

Keep the RR, it sound like your other charger (the '72) is more fun / less work to drive anyway.

Rallye Mike

QuoteYour '74 is similar to my '73 u-code. Mine is currently for sale for $13,500. Mine does need a little more work than yours, but my resto is more recent. I can't read the market right now. There is a butt for every seat though.

Yellow and red for Rallye's seemed to be pretty popular with most of the other "cool" colors gone by 73-74. I'm watching a yellow 400/speed 73 Rallye on eBay. It will be interesting to see what it pulls.

QuoteWhat is the other car you are keeping?  You said cutting down to 3 cars You have the 2 Chargers and the RR, whats the fourth that you are not considering selling?

60 Plymouth. I'd sell everything I own and live in it before I'd let it go.

Well, thanks for the feedback guys. I don't know if I'm any closer to a decision, but I do admit I have been leaning toward keeping the RR lately.

69*F5*SE

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Mopar440+6

Quote from: Rallye Mike on April 06, 2010, 08:18:30 PMIt looks like the pic below (without a sunroof chopped into it).

Mike, I was about to call you out until I read the above sentence. That car belongs to one of the other members in the car club I belong to and he has a ton of work into that particular car. IIRC, the sunroof was a factory job on that car.

As for your dilemma of which car to get rid of I would say get rid of the one you like the least even if that means that the one you like more doesn't get driven as much....
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

71383bee

Another vote for the Roadrunner.

The charger is sweet, but you already pointed out the downside of the 73/74 cars.  If you want to run hard its easier in a pre-73 unit...plus the 72 rr grill is AWESOME!
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

nh_mopar_fan

Hmmmmm, I know someone here that is looking for a 3rd gen.....

:scratchchin:

Purple68

Keep the Roadrunner, let someone else have a Charger.  :yesnod:

mikesbbody

Rallye Mike

Well, seems pretty consistent and that's where I have been leaning anyway. I just have to figure out a reasonable price and do it. Hard to believe I had the 74 for 23 years. I have rolled this thing out of the garage every year for the past 5 thinking it was time to sell it, and then I drive it and put it back. Maybe this time I can finally pull the trigger.