News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Richard Pryor RIP

Started by Ponch ®, December 10, 2005, 05:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

:icon_smile_sad:

Pathbreaking Comedian Richard Pryor Dies

By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES -
Richard Pryor, the caustic yet perceptive actor-comedian who lived dangerously close to the edge both on stage and off, died Saturday. He was 65.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

Pryor died shortly before 8 a.m. of a heart attack after being taken to a hospital from his home in the San Fernando Valley, said his business manager, Karen Finch. He had been ill for years with multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease of the nervous system.

"We loved him and will miss you," his ex-wife, Flynn Pryor, said from her Florida home.

Pryor was regarded early in his career as one of the most foul-mouthed comics in the business, but he gained a wide following for his expletive-filled but universal and frequently personal insights into modern life and race relations.

His audacious style influenced an array of stand-up artists, including
Eddie Murphy,
Arsenio Hall and
Damon Wayans, as well as
Robin Williams, David Letterman and others.

A series of hit comedies in the '70s and '80s, as well as filmed versions of his concert performances, helped make him Pryor one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood. He was one of the first black performers to have enough leverage to cut his own Hollywood deals. In 1983, he signed a $40 million, five-year contract with Columbia Pictures.

His films included "Stir Crazy," "Silver Streak," "Which Way Is Up?" and "Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip."

Throughout his career, Pryor focused on racial inequality, once joking as the host of the 1977
Academy Awards that
Harry Belafonte and
Sidney Poitier were the only black members of the Academy.

Pryor once marveled "that I live in racist America and I'm uneducated, yet a lot of people love me and like what I do, and I can make a living from it. You can't do much better than that."

In 1980, he nearly lost his life when he suffered severe burns over 50 percent of his body while freebasing cocaine at his home. An admitted "junkie" at the time, Pryor spent six weeks recovering from the burns and much longer from drug and alcohol dependence.

He battled multiple sclerosis throughout the '90s.

In his last movie, the 1991 bomb "Another You," Pryor's poor health was clearly evident. Pryor made a comeback attempt the following year, returning to standup comedy in clubs and on television while looking thin and frail, and with noticeable speech and movement difficulties.

In 1995, he played an embittered multiple sclerosis patient in an episode of the television series "Chicago Hope." The role earned him an Emmy nomination as best guest actor in a drama series.

"To be diagnosed was the hardest thing because I didn't know what they were talking about," he said. "And the doctor said `Don't worry, in three months you'll know.'

"So I went about my business and then, one day, it jumped me. I couldn't get up. ... Your muscles trick you; they did me."

While Pryor's material sounds modest when compared with some of today's raunchier comedians, it was startling material when first introduced. He never apologized for it.

In his 1977 NBC television series "The Richard Pryor Show," he threatened to cancel his contract with the network after NBC's censors objected to a skit in which Pryor appeared naked save for a flesh-colored loincloth to suggest he was emasculated.

In his later years Pryor mellowed considerably, and his film roles looked more like easy paychecks than artistic endeavors. His robust work gave way to torpid efforts like "Harlem Nights," "Brewster's Millions" and "Hear No Evil, See No Evil."

Pryor was married six times. He and Flynn Pryor had a son, Steven. Previous children included another son, Richard, and daughters Elizabeth, Rain and Renee.

Daughter Rain became an actress. In an interview in 2005, she told the Philadelphia Inquirer that her father always "put his life right out there for you to look at. I took that approach because I saw how well audiences respond to it. I try to make you laugh at life."

LINK
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ChargerBill

Oh man... :'(

He had some hard times, got caught up in the lifestyle years back, had MS and some bad breaks... I always thought he was hillarious and in his candid interviews seemed like a real nice guy.

Rest in Peace funny man...
Life is a highway...

golden73

Charger_Fan

I thought he was already dead? :ahum:

He was cool...RIP, Richard.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

694spdRT

That is sad news..I was just watching a Saturday Night Live best moments countdown that had his skit with Chevy Chase.

Rest in Peace Richard.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

TruckDriver

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 10, 2005, 05:55:01 PM
I thought he was already dead? :ahum:

He was cool...RIP, Richard.

HA! ME TOO!

RIP.... I always liked him and his movies. He will be missed.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

greenpigs

I'm sure he is knocking the bottom out of it somewhere up there.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Telvis

I thought he died years ago....Well....I'm out of touch.

JimShine

I knew it was coming soon. I saw a thing on TV with him recently and he was unrecognizeable. He was one of the funniest mofo's to hit this rock called earth. A sad day, but also a great day knowing he is no longer in the state MS has left him in for over the last decade.

Charger4404spd

BLACKWOLF

:'( :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_shock: :icon_smile_sad: :angel: HAIL TO THE KING. I CAN IMAGINE WHAT HEAVEN IS LIKE NOW! HIM, JACKIE GLEASON, AND SAM KINISON. HOLY MOLY!
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

Old Moparz

Yes, I saw that earlier today, it's sad. He was always in the top few of my favorite comedians. It was tough seeing him perform on stage after he was already battling MS. He could only do about 45 minutes before he was exhausted. I remember one thing he said in an interview about MS, & that he was shocked that all the other crazy things he did didn't kill him, but that MS was going to do him in. The movie he did, "Harlem Nights" wasn't one of his best, but to see him with Redd Foxx & Eddie Murphy together was very cool.

He'll be missed quite a bit. Shit, I had already missed his stuff for years after he became ill. (RIP)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

6pkrunner

Him and Carlin were my favourite comedians.

Afflyer

I saw the movie "Stir Crazy" in the theatre when I was a kid.  I thought he was hilarious.  He's now laughing with all the great comedians.

RIP

:-\
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"