News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

7 Years Later...it runs!

Started by Ponch ®, April 03, 2010, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Some of you old timers (going back to the old site) may remember my woes. Once upon a time I tried to install a 4 bbl intake and carb. Intake doesn't fit. Try several intakes and none fit. Next thing I know, the car is parked for years. Finally a buddy of mine and his dad said "let's trailer it to our house and we'll get it running". So we did that a few months ago. Threw the 2bbl intake and carb on and now it runs again. Still not driveable...somewhere along the line the original kickdown and throttle linkages got lost (and evidently they're harder to find than a matching numbers hemi cuda), so now it needs that. The carb spits out gas, so we can only run it for a few minutes at a time. But it's getting there!

sheck it out, meng!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knXBvJXbrA

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

tan top

thats great , got it fired up after all this time   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

One small step for Mopar, One giant leap for Ponch. :2thumbs:

Now, lets see about this linkage fellas..... There has to be something out there for you...............

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Brock Samson

moparstuart

who knew ponch had an old charger :shruggy: :D :D :D :D :D :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on April 03, 2010, 05:01:21 PM
who knew ponch had an old charger :shruggy: :D :D :D :D :D :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

...and I plan on converting it to a 4 door!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

MoparManJim

NHCharger

nice. I thought the motor was damaged during your misadventure in mechanics. Good to see that it's OK.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

CB

:woohoo:

Hope to see some more vids of your 'old' Charger!

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Nacho-RT74

I guess you meant THE CHARGER!

Ponch, why is taking so long just to begin the project ?, wondering :shruggy:

I hope hear it running will give you a push to begin the project!!!

GOOD LUCK!

If I'm able to go to Cali again ( was on project this year ), count on me to help with some wrenchs!!!  :METAL:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mauve66

i've seen new complete linkage kits for over $300, they don't sell the individual pieces, of course those are 4bbl also if your still gonna try to go back that way
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RD

woot, sounds good man!!  so what be your plans now?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Finn

Nice, man!
Ill probably see you at Spring Fling yeah?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

TK73

WAY COOL!!  Line it out and get to cruisin!!

:2thumbs:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Brock Samson

i agree linkages were one of the hardest parts i had to find and make work,.. If it wasn't for Mike at Common's  :2thumbs: here in south city, my car would probably still be laid up.

alcusswhen

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 03, 2010, 02:55:49 PM
Some of you old timers (going back to the old site) may remember my woes. Once upon a time I tried to install a 4 bbl intake and carb. Intake doesn't fit. Try several intakes and none fit. Next thing I know, the car is parked for years. Finally a buddy of mine and his dad said "let's trailer it to our house and we'll get it running". So we did that a few months ago. Threw the 2bbl intake and carb on and now it runs again. Still not driveable...somewhere along the line the original kickdown and throttle linkages got lost (and evidently they're harder to find than a matching numbers hemi cuda), so now it needs that. The carb spits out gas, so we can only run it for a few minutes at a time. But it's getting there!

sheck it out, meng!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knXBvJXbrA

Ebay always has kick down linkage for sale. Also you need to have a machine shop check your intake. You may find that over the years the heads got a face cut and instead of cutting the intake side to line up the manifold, they cut the manifold. Truth thats the only reason any LA small block intake wouldn't fit.

Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

greenpigs

Get a manual valve body for the transmission. Then see if you can score a used 500 cfm holley 2 bbl.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Smokey Bear

Quotewoot, sounds good man!!  so what be your plans now?

I see it is now for sale on Craigslist. Hopefully it will go to a good home (and not be converted to 4-doors).

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1672716575.html

Ponch ®

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 04, 2010, 10:44:09 AM

Ponch, why is taking so long just to begin the project ?, wondering :shruggy:

A few reasons. One was that I got busy trying to finish school (which I did). But mostly it was that it got to the point where I just had no clue what to do / how to fix it. People here tried to help me but there's only so much that can be done that way. But my buddy and his dad eventually stepped in and helped me out.

Quote from: Finn on April 04, 2010, 11:37:37 AM
Nice, man!
Ill probably see you at Spring Fling yeah?

Yep..Ill be there, but more than likely with the 4-door mobile, since there's no way I can get this one on the road in 2 weeks.

Quote from: alcusswhen on April 04, 2010, 12:10:06 PM

Ebay always has kick down linkage for sale. Also you need to have a machine shop check your intake. You may find that over the years the heads got a face cut and instead of cutting the intake side to line up the manifold, they cut the manifold. Truth thats the only reason any LA small block intake wouldn't fit.

I've been looking for one there and can't seem to find one. There was one for an e body about 2 weeks ago, but someone beat me to it.  I met a guy at MATS that has a yard in SoCal and said if I go over there he'll pull one for me. I just haven't had time to go.

Quote from: Smokey Bear on April 04, 2010, 10:08:56 PM
Quotewoot, sounds good man!!  so what be your plans now?

I see it is now for sale on Craigslist. Hopefully it will go to a good home (and not be converted to 4-doors).

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1672716575.html

yep...It's more of a feeler. I don't necessarily want to sell it, but I have a good "in" on a somewhat more desirable MOPAR, and I've always said that's the only reason (short of some desperate financial catastrophe) that I would sell it. If it goes and I can get the other car, great. If it doesn't...well, it's not like I need it or want it gone. Hence why my asking price is a little high and I can be a prick to the lowballers.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 04, 2010, 11:02:15 PMHence why my asking price is a little high and I can be a prick to the lowballers.

CAN be?   :shruggy:      :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 05, 2010, 01:10:32 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 04, 2010, 11:02:15 PMHence why my asking price is a little high and I can be a prick to the lowballers.

CAN be?   :shruggy:      :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:

lol...

seriously, i tried selling it last summer on craigslist. I had one guy call me and offer me some rottweiler puppies from his kennel in trade. Another guy offered me a Toyota mini truck. And then I had the one asshole who'd call me about once a month pretending that he hadn't talked to me before, proceed to lowball me, and then tell me that my car wasn't worth crap because "it's not a 71 or older" and that there was a car just like mine down the street from him selling for half the price. The last time he called I just went "so go buy it then...why call me in the 1st place?"

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 05, 2010, 01:19:07 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on April 05, 2010, 01:10:32 PM

CAN be?   :shruggy:      :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:

lol...

seriously, i tried selling it last summer on craigslist. I had one guy call me and offer me some rottweiler puppies from his kennel in trade. Another guy offered me a Toyota mini truck. And then I had the one asshole who'd call me about once a month pretending that he hadn't talked to me before, proceed to lowball me, and then tell me that my car wasn't worth crap because "it's not a 71 or older" and that there was a car just like mine down the street from him selling for half the price. The last time he called I just went "so go buy it then...why call me in the 1st place?"
I have crazy retail people do that to me every day play dumb like they never called before
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

would any of you fine folks happen to know if a 2bbl kickdown linkage off a 68-70 car would work on my 74?

Cooter

If it's a 318 2BBL/ 904 car, I got it.....ALL of it....BUT (You know there's always a but)....It ain't going for no $25.00...........
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ponch ®

Quote from: Cooter on April 09, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
If it's a 318 2BBL/ 904 car, I got it.....ALL of it....BUT (You know there's always a but)....It ain't going for no $25.00...........

then?  :D