News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lost Spark on my buddy's 383

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, April 01, 2010, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

My roommates Road Runner is just getting put back together.  We had it started the other night and he drove it up the block, turned around and throttled it and there was nothing there.  We timed it and got it running a little better and when he put it in gear he pulled ahead a little then throttled it again and it lit the tires up.  When he let off the gas it killed and we've not had it started since.

It doesn't seem to be sparking at all now, and he had a new coil on it.  We replaced the coild and still no help.  He has a brand new resister and ECU on it.  Everything was running fine prior to this.  He's definitely getting fuel, we checked that.  There wasn't any spark at the plug when we pulled the plug though.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, or what direction to go in trouble shooting this?  The 383 was just rebuilt before he bought it, the carb looks like a 750 Holley Double Pumper with no vacuum advance, fyi.

I think the timing was set at 32 degrees.  Isn't that quite early?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

A383Wing

Does the distributor rotor go around when cranking? Do you have 12v power to "+" term of coil when key is on or cranking? Possible bad pick-up coil in dist also.

First things I would check

BLUE68RT4ME

He has 12v when cranking, not when on.  What does that mean?   :scratchchin:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

A383Wing

Bad resistor is what I would check first....

BLUE68RT4ME

Thanks for the help.  He seems to be getting 8v when on and 8v when cranking now.
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Problem solved... pigtail on distributor wasn't fully fastened.  Sorry to bug you!
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

billschroeder5842

Good for you! The easy and cheap fixes are always best!
Texas Proud!

BLUE68RT4ME

Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Nacho-RT74

but sometimes the harder to locate!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on April 01, 2010, 11:27:23 PM
Thanks for the help.  He seems to be getting 8v when on and 8v when cranking now.

The 8v cranking kinda bothers me....I would think closer to batt voltage would be the norm...at least that's how it works on all my cars that have electronic ignition (the mopar style)

BLUE68RT4ME

Yeah, it all came around after he got the connection fixed.  It runs good now.   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"