News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD correct hookup

Started by J-440, April 03, 2010, 01:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

If any of ya'll have an MSD 6AL box with Blaster coil I wanna know something.  Do you use the magnetic pickup connector (green and violet wires) coming from one side of the ignition box or the white stand alone wire that goes to....where?  The guys at INDY said to omit the green/violet wires but to use the white wire.  Does the white wire go to the negative terminal on the coil?  Thanks for the help. :2thumbs:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

J-440

Another thing.  I've been reading up on this subject b/c it's been posted before and yes, I have read them all.  I guess I'm the only schmuck on here with a different ignition system than you guys.  Apparently, my system does not use the green/violet wires coming out of the box.  My system uses the white one but I don't know where it goes.  Also, the ballast resistor is gone (don't need it) but do I still need the voltage regulator?  Thanks again.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

CB

I run the same (6AL module) and in the middle of redoing the electrics in the engine bay.
look at the tech page from MSD:

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions(1).pdf

here's the little drawing from MSD:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

:shruggy:

WHITE WIRE: This wire is used to connect to the points, electronic ignition
amplifier output or to the Yellow wire of an MSD Timing Accessory.
When this wire is used, the Magnetic Pickup (=Violet and Green) connector is not used.

(These wires are routed together in one harness to form the Magnetic
Pickup connector. The connector plugs directly into an MSD
Distributor or Crank Trigger. It will also connect to factory magnetic
pickups or other aftermarket pickups. The Violet wire is positive (+)
and the Green is negative (-). When these wires are used, the White
wire is not.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500