News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Emissions standards

Started by Troy, April 01, 2010, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

The new rules, jointly written by the Transportation Department and the Environmental Protection Agency, set emissions and mileage standards that will translate to a fleet average of 35.5 miles a gallon by 2016, nearly a 40 percent improvement over today's fuel economy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/science/earth/02emit.html

I've been looking for a new car for a few months and can't find anything that I like that gets much better than low 30s. I know there are some really good engineers out there but, honestly, I think the only way any company is going to meet this is to kill off any large/luxury models and, for American manufacturers, severely reduce the number of trucks in the fleet. The article also goes on to state that the regulations will increase the cost of each vehicle by $1,000. Is this for the technology or the fees/fines? Smaller manufacturers don't have to comply of course but do have to purchase "credits" from the bigger ones.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

I saw actually heard that on TV last night,.. more feel good stuff, by that time another Admin. will be in office - who knows maybe they'll set a 40 MPG standard for two years after they're gone..
Now Troy, we're not going to go all political now are we, I hear the Admins. here take a dim view on that sort of thing...
    :smilielol:

Brock Samson

the new trend is to turbo 4 clys... even sixes are making north of 250 HP these days...

here's one that i saw today,.. maybe worth a look see...

http://jalopnik.com/5505977/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-274-hp-34-mpg-no-manual

Charger 1

What bothers me is that if they do start producing cars that get 35 mpg or better, then you can be sure that gas prices will increase.  So, we will get more miles per gallon, but gas will cost more per gallon - where's the savings???  Kind of cancels each other out.

Brock Lee

They are not out to save you one penny. They are out to reduce fuel consumption and emissions, even if it means you have to pay more.

Tilar

It's all about making more money for less work. If the government can force the automobile manufacturers that they own to get better gas mileage and use less fuel, Then the oil companies that they are in the back pocket of won't have to work near as hard to make more money and the people that run government can get more kickbacks.  That's not too political is it?  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

resq302

And so starts the push for electric cars.......
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger RT

We use to make nice cars that did more them 30 mpg. But cheap fuel atopped them from being made.

I have a 92 dodge daytona iroc r/t. Its a 2.2 turbo with a 5 speed fully loaded and weighs 3100lbs. In stock trim it put out 224 hp. I have a 3 inch exhaust on mine and raised the boost up 4 more psi to 15 and beat the crap out of it and get a mixed city highway of 28. (probably 30% city 70% highway) If I do straight highway and stay out of the boost it will do a good bit over 30 and it is 18 years old. We already could do these numbers and make a car that is fun to drive and fit 4 people.
Tim

Mike DC

The earth won't give us 100 million barrels of (cheap, sweet, light grade) oil per day over the long term. 

So let's all blame the US government for starting to try to deal with it. 

elacruze

Quote from: resq302 on April 01, 2010, 05:12:37 PM
And so starts the push for electric cars.......

Precisely.
This is not about using less gasoline, or saving the environment, or saving you any money. It's about creating an artificial environment where gasoline is not the only economical fuel alternative.

Bastiges.

Write. Vote.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Mike DC

We can't write & vote ourselves another 20-30 million barrels of oil per day.  We struggle to find enough new stuff to offset the declines in existing fields. 

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 01, 2010, 08:15:10 PM

The earth won't give us 100 million barrels of (cheap, sweet, light grade) oil per day over the long term. 

So let's all blame the US government for starting to try to deal with it. 

I didn't say that. Just pointing out that it's 6 years away and, as far as I can tell, the only companies that might hit the target are Toyota and Honda (and a bunch of others that won't pass US crash test standards).

The article did point out that the manufacturers are at least happy that they now only have a single standard to deal with instead of multiple ones for different states. Although, California is planning changes for 2017 so that's short-lived.

Quote from: Charger RT on April 01, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
We use to make nice cars that did more them 30 mpg. But cheap fuel atopped them from being made.

I have a 92 dodge daytona iroc r/t. Its a 2.2 turbo with a 5 speed fully loaded and weighs 3100lbs. In stock trim it put out 224 hp. I have a 3 inch exhaust on mine and raised the boost up 4 more psi to 15 and beat the crap out of it and get a mixed city highway of 28. (probably 30% city 70% highway) If I do straight highway and stay out of the boost it will do a good bit over 30 and it is 18 years old. We already could do these numbers and make a car that is fun to drive and fit 4 people.
Tim
Yeah, I remember those days. My step dad has a 1996 Camry V6 that averages about 32 mpg. I don't think the new ones get that kind of mileage. It's a full size passenger car with plenty of room and plenty of power. I won't claim to know why the cars have seem to have gotten worse over time - although I know that some have gotten much better (ie anything with a direct injection engine).

The vehicles I have been looking at recently aren't SUVs, trucks, or even full size cars. Unless I get the bottom of the line economy model (or some hybrids) I'm really not seeing a lot that beats 30 mpg. I was looking to double the mileage of my Tahoe (18-20) but, if I can't, it's not worth having 2 vehicles (1 for towing and one for daily driver duties).

Troy

Troy

Ok, so I guess I should have asked: is this realistic or not? What targets are these manufacturers hitting today?

Troy

Mike DC

Sorry Troy, I didn't mean to go after your original post.  I was reacting to the whole thread's mood.

The incongruencies between the requirements are indeed a problem.  

As I understand it, the luxury foreign makes like Benz & BMW get exemptions in Cali for their low total numbers being imported compared to the domestic & Asian brands.  In english it means that the rich get an exemption for their fun cars unlike the rest of us.  

That state is infuriating.  They seem to regard it as their duty to raise the CAFE requirement on principle just because everyone else has met it now.  A few times in the past the OEMs have muttered about wishing they could stage a boycott and stop selling cars in Cali until the state eases up.  I wouldn't blame them one bit if they did. 

After going to the OEM's auto show a few months ago, I've really been bowled over by the sheer size of what the're making.  Not just the SUVs/trucks, I mean literally everything they're putting on the road these days.  The cubic feet is growing and the density of components per volume is growing too.  IMHO we're not serious about MPG improvements until the size arms-race stops.

Troy

I agree. That was sort of my reasoning behind dumping the Tahoe - it's overkill for driving myself to work. However, it's a great compromise in a tow vehicle which is why I bought it. It's cheaper to pay for the gas than a second car though (payments, maintenance, insurance, registration). The only way this will work is if I buy an old(er) truck and a used car but then I start running into reliability issues - which is what put me in this situation in the first place. Vicious circle. If I had a family and needed a large vehicle so we could all go places together it would be the same deal. I'd end up driving myself 95% of the time. People are willing to do it just for the convenience (I know I will do nearly anything to lessen frustration in my life).

As for the government's role, I think they rarely do anything on principal. In that second link I believe it said the manufacturers paid $500 million in penalties for not meeting the CAFE standards. I wonder what that's paying for? In this day and age with so much technology and parts crossover between brands why do they still let the smaller manufacturers skate? Never mind, I know the answer.

Troy

Silver R/T

How would someone afford a new car if they're working part-time making minimum wage?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 02, 2010, 10:57:26 AM
How would someone afford a new car if they're working part-time making minimum wage?
They would walk or take a bus to school, learn a new skill, and get a better job. Heck, jump online and learn - it's cheaper. Owning a car is not a right (nor a necessity in many places). If they have to have a car they should do what most other people with low incomes do - buy a used one. New cars haven't been affordable to minimum wage earners for as long as I've been alive (and probably not since cars were invented).

Troy

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
They would walk or take a bus to school, learn a new skill, and get a better job. Heck, jump online and learn - it's cheaper. Owning a car is not a right (nor a necessity in many places). If they have to have a car they should do what most other people with low incomes do - buy a used one. New cars haven't been affordable to minimum wage earners for as long as I've been alive (and probably not since cars were invented).

Troy

Henry Ford made his cars available to low income families. I think all car companies could learn a thing or two from H. Ford
Maybe they could sell more cars that way instead of complaining how their cars don't sell and take OUR money for bailouts.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 02, 2010, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2010, 11:30:47 AM

Troy

Henry Ford made his cars available to low income families. I think all car companies could learn a thing or two from H. Ford
Maybe they could sell more cars that way instead of complaining how their cars don't sell and take OUR money for bailouts.
Better check your facts - the Model T was aimed at middle class (or "average") families.

A quote from the man himself:
"I will build a car for the great multitude. It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise. But it will be so low in price that no man making a good salary will be unable to own one—and enjoy with his family the blessing of hours of pleasure in God's great open spaces."

The initial price was approximately equivalent to 1 year's pay for the average worker. I believe that would be around $35,000 today. Ford was so intent on making the Model T affordable that he cut his profit margins - but still did ok due to  increased sales. This gave Ford (the company) a considerable increase in market share. Over time, this massive increase in sales led to efficiencies in production which allowed the price to drop on it's own. By the 1920s this would have been about 4 months wages.

Troy

Mike DC

For 100+ million americans, the automobile/gasoline/insurance amounts to a utility that is not govt-regulated like water or electricity is.  

Troy

Insurance is (for the most part). Ohio requires insurance for every vehicle but does nothing to control costs. It's generally used as another revenue enhancement tactic (randomly send out proof of insurance requests and fine/suspend the owners whether the car was drivable or being driven).

The automobile is still a choice - either on it's own or due to other choices the person has made. Even though some people will disagree, so is cable/satellite, telephone, and internet service. On the other had, it's much harder to live without water (and, in part, indoor plumbing!). Electricity is a modern convenience but pretty much a necessity for most people (light!).

But any way, it's not the government's job to make sure we can all afford cars or the gas to put in them. Cleaning up the air is a noble goal and something the government should be concerned with. One thing I have learned is that it's a bad idea to set others up to fail (especially co-workers) so I originally asked this to see if that's the case. Are the manufacturers being saddled with unrealistic expectations in order to generate more revenue?

Wouldn't it also make sense to do something about coal? Electric cars will just increase our reliance on the main energy source that pollutes more than oil.

Troy

Silver R/T

It sucks that American car makers are losing to competition. My cousin just bought a brand new Kia Soul. Thing is hideous imo but the chose it cause her payment is considerably low, gets great mpg and offers 10 yr warranty. If Big Three could make same offers to customers I'm sure they could sell many more cars and bring jobs back to U.S.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

QuoteWouldn't it also make sense to do something about coal? Electric cars will just increase our reliance on the main energy source that pollutes more than oil.

I think we need to start bringing down our oil dependency a lot worse than we need to worry about the air.   

NHCharger

In the past the automakers had an ace up their sleeve. SUV's were classified as light trucks and their sales were not factored into the automakers annual MPG's for the CAFE standards. So the auto makers pushed the sales of these SUV's, avoided the CAFE standards on their entire fleet and made a huge profit as an added bonus. With these new standards set by the government the SUV's are no longer excluded. However it may be a mute point since SUV sales have plummeted with the recession and higher gas prices.

As far as gas mileage my boss said he has rented several cars while traveling in Europe that got 50-70 MPG and had plenty of giddy up. They weren't full size or SUV's. He said they'd never get released over here because of the crash standards our government has.   
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel