News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Stock Pushrod Size

Started by 69charger440, April 01, 2010, 12:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger440

Well changed cams and now we have a clapping sound coming from drive train!! Guessing it is the push rods! We went from a bigger cam(.528 Lift) to a smaller cam (.496 lift). WHAT IS THE SIZE OF A STOCK PUSHROD FOR A 383?? I am not sure what push rod is in the motor right now but would like to compare them to stock rods!!

So we looked up a camshaft close to the same specs and it was suggesting 8.575 push-rods. We are using stock rockers also. Anyone using the same cam or close to it? If so what push rods are you using? We have to wait to order push-rods and the tool, Money is tight after MATS!!!!

This is the new camshaft specs!
CROWLER 32242 Hydraulic CAM
Dur: 271/284 @FULL
      222/234 @ 50
Lift:  486/496
Lobe separation: 112
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

69charger440

well checked the push rods and they are stock 383 push rods. So why do we a noise coming from valve train?

frederick

Stock length for a 383 B is either 8.550" or 8.575"depending measuring method.

How much preload have you got?

idahogrumpy

lol,,,, He wont check it!  :icon_smile_blackeye: :D Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

69charger440

Well check the preload on all lifters it is .020 at minimum. So we shouldn't have any problems with push rods. We are leaning towards exhaust leak! So I changed headers. The old ones are pretty trashed! Just waiting on header gaskets!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69charger440 on April 12, 2010, 11:34:01 AM
Well check the preload on all lifters it is .020 at minimum. So we shouldn't have any problems with push rods. We are leaning towards exhaust leak! So I changed headers. The old ones are pretty trashed! Just waiting on header gaskets!!

If you have .020 or more pre-load the pushrods are fine.  :yesnod:

Leaky headers sound like a noisy valvetrain so hopefully the new gaskets solve your noise issues. Another member replaced a bunch of lifters chasing a valvetrain noise and it turned out that he was missing 2 bolts from his ex manifolds. Replaced the missing bolts and problem was solved.

As for header gaskets ; the Percy's dead-soft aluminum gaskets are awesome, and reusable too !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69charger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 12, 2010, 11:40:51 AM

Leaky headers sound like a noisy valvetrain so hopefully the new gaskets solve your noise issues. Another member replaced a bunch of lifters chasing a valvetrain noise and it turned out that he was missing 2 bolts from his ex manifolds. Replaced the missing bolts and problem was solved.

As for header gaskets ; the Percy's dead-soft aluminum gaskets are awesome, and reusable too !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Well I guess we will have to wait and see!! We are just going to use the fel pro header gaskets. (we can get them today locally) Going to double them up on the side we have to noise coming from!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Oh Here you go GRUMPY   :slap: :icon_smile_blackeye: :moon:          Thanks for your help!!

Al

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 12, 2010, 11:40:51 AM

Hmm I only have .016 preload on the pushrods.  :o Is that going to be a problem ??
( I am installing a new cam, lifters, rocker arms (standard), and intend to reuse my pushrods as they seem ok.)

Al

Ron
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Al

A bit confusing my previous post.

2nd try:

I only have .016 preload on the pushrods.   :scratchchin: Is that going to be a problem ??
( I am installing a new cam, lifters, rocker arms (standard), and intend to reuse my pushrods as they seem ok.)

Al

firefighter3931

Quote from: Al on April 13, 2010, 12:26:37 PM
I only have .016 preload on the pushrods.   :scratchchin: Is that going to be a problem ??

That shouldn't be a problem Al. Some hyd lifters only use .002 preload with an adjustable valvetrain. Hyd lifters are designed to take up the slack when production tolerances are all over the map. The factory was sloppy and most engines had block decks that were uneven from corner to corner and often one bank is higher than the other.  :P

My old 446 was off .006 corner to corner and one bank was .008 taller than the other. The Crower hyd cam that was in that build ran fine. As long as you have some preload it will work fine.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Al

:2thumbs: That's good news Ron. Thanks for your reply !  :2thumbs:

Al

69charger440

well it was header leak. Thank god. And by the way that cam kicks butt. Awesome low end torque and accelaration. Thanks guys