News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF on my friggen brakes

Started by rp23g7, March 30, 2010, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp23g7

So, i checked my brakes last week, and the front shoes were down to the rivits, almost scrapping.

So i replaced them today, 10" by 2.5", drums are original, just a slight scoring on both. Wheel Cylinders look good, like they have been replaced within the last few yrs. Master Cyl looks pretty new also.

So i replace the shoes and grease the bearings and put everything back together, and adjust them, and bleed them for good measure, and take it for a drive......and my friggen car makes a immediate left turn when braking. GRRRR. WTH, it stopped ok 30 min before i replaced them.

I took it apart again thinking the wheel cyl was sticking, and had my wife gently press on the brake, the wheel cyl in working good, the springs are not retracting very well but it seems they apply the brakes good. I bop each of the shoes for good measure and put it back together and try again, same thing. Think the shoes need some time to wear into the drums?

Cooter

I assume you installed the shoes properly? IE: Short shoe in the FRONT, long shoe in the REAR?
This is a common problem with drum brakes...Even though everything is new, you almost ALWAYS end up with some kind of pulling upon braking problem...If the shoes are oriented properly, then I'm leaning towards an adjustment problem...One side is adjusted slightly tighter than the other most likely....I've also found that with MOST drum brake set ups, you have to drive the car and perform a few "Panic" stops and then go back and RE-adjust them Again...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rp23g7

Quote from: Cooter on March 30, 2010, 10:31:55 PM
I assume you installed the shoes properly? IE: Short shoe in the FRONT, long shoe in the REAR?
This is a common problem with drum brakes...Even though everything is new, you almost ALWAYS end up with some kind of pulling upon braking problem...If the shoes are oriented properly, then I'm leaning towards an adjustment problem...One side is adjusted slightly tighter than the other most likely....I've also found that with MOST drum brake set ups, you have to drive the car and perform a few "Panic" stops and then go back and RE-adjust them Again...

Yeah, i took it apart the second time to make sure i had the primary in front and secondary in the rear.  I will let it go a day or so and adjust it again, and see what happens.  I may have some wheel cylinders in my future.  Thanks Cooter

y3chargerrt

Do you use your emergency brake? The cable could be sticking.

rp23g7

Quote from: y3chargerrt on March 31, 2010, 06:27:35 AM
Do you use your emergency brake? The cable could be sticking.

I never use it, its not even adjusted. just did my fronts, seemed a bit better on the way to work.  I will see what happens.

HPP

If you got any grease, goop, or gunk on any of the shoes while working on them, you can also create uneven grip when steeping on the brakes. I'd vote for changing the adjustment first. See if you can rig up some means of measure the OD of the installed shoes and then adjust them to be similar. Also verify that your drums are the same ID. If one has been turned down and the other has not, then equal adjustment of the shoes will result in unequal braking.

rp23g7

HMMM thinking about it, i may have reversed the springs on the one side.   I may have put the long spring on the front, as i was facing the other way, so to speak when i installed that side.

ACUDANUT

Oh yes, I remember those days. Trust me, throw those brakes out and go front Disc. I have a buddy with a 73 Charger that has everything to convert yours. He only wants 200 bucks !!

rp23g7

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 31, 2010, 08:23:48 AM
Oh yes, I remember those days. Trust me, throw those brakes out and go front Disc. I have a buddy with a 73 Charger that has everything to convert yours. He only wants 200 bucks !!

How long does that job usually take, casually?  a afternoon?

Cooter

Well, you will have a basic afternoon for the AVERAGE mechanically inclined person, then there's the front end realign...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rp23g7

Quote from: Cooter on March 31, 2010, 11:19:55 AM
Well, you will have a basic afternoon for the AVERAGE mechanically inclined person, then there's the front end realign...

Yeah, the front end alighn.  When i win the lottery i am gonna buy a building and put a alighnment rack, a lift , a tire machine and a balancer in it.  And let you guys use it of course.

rp23g7

And the answer everyone has been waiting for...........................grease on the shoe, oopps.  Took it all apart, sanded the shoes, soaked the drums down in gas, put it all back together and adjusted them again and took it for a drive.  All Better