News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering box problem

Started by Charger1970, December 11, 2005, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1970

I installed my Firm Feel, INC. Stage II box today along with a new pittman arm. I filled the reservoir with fluid and started the engine.

The steering wheel drove itself full left. I can overcome the steering and steer it full right but at any time if I release the wheel it will drive itself quickly full left.

Any idea what's causing this?

PS: The old box worked fine, just sloppy and leaking.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Charger4404spd

You will need to adjust the valve on top of the box. Put the front of the car on jack stands. Loosen the two bolts slightly on the valve and tap the valve in one direction. Put the wheels straight ahead, start the engine. If the steering goes to the left LESS, you are going in the right direction with the valve. If not, tap the valve in the other direction, start the car. Keep adjusting till you can start the car and the wheels remain centered.

Just 6T9 CHGR

You need to adjust the shuttle valve bolted to the top of the box.    Loosen the 2 bolts on the valve and tap the valve either foreward or back slightly (do it one way initially) then start the engine

DO NOT PUT YOUR ARM THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN STARTING THE CAR!!!

See if it gets better or worse (wheel turning by itself)   if its worse, shut off & tap the valve the opposite way)    If its getting better, tap i the same direction a bit more.

The valve has to be centered over the return ports.   If not. the wheel will turn byitself either way because a port is partially blocked.
Good luck :cheers:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

Haha, I see Im not the only ONE FINGER TYPER!

Charger4404spd

Guess I should say too that when you tap the valve in a direction, only move approx. 1/8" at a time. It doesnt take much!

Charger1970

Thanks for the replies. I am all "straight" now...har har

PS: I'm loving the Firm Feel box.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT