News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Noisy Ass End

Started by Kyles69, March 27, 2010, 06:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyles69

Just had my 69 Charger's rear end completely gone through by a local shop!  I supplied the parts while he set it all up!  8 3/4 ring gear with new 3.55 gear set, all new master over haul kit and sure grip was added as well!  Now, I have to wear ear plugs while driving this car because when I let off the accelerator to coast there is a loud whine, but if I even just slightly tap the accelerator it goes away (it even does this when coasting in neutral however much more acceleration is required to quiet the noise down).  The sound will also go away once I've coasted to around 20 mph or below, however if cruising at 20mph and going over slight bumps the whine will come and go as going over the bumps!  One last thing....when making a left hand turn, I hear a loud chatter coming from the passenger side rear wheel about 75% of those left hand turns!  The loud whinning noises when letting off the accelerator were there before but not near as bad as they are now & only when letting off the accelerator! 

Seems to me that my local shop screwed up??!!  So now what gentlemen??  Thanks!!     

NMike

either it is a bad gear set, burr on the teeth, they didn't set up the pinion depth properly, didn't set the pinion bearing properly.

chances are that the third member is going to have to come out again.. :brickwall:

Back N Black

Yep, take her back to the shop and tell them to do it right this time. :Twocents:

terrible one

Quote from: Back N Black on March 27, 2010, 06:51:50 PM
Yep, take her back to the shop and tell them to do it right this time. :Twocents:

Agreed 100%. And by the sound of it it's too bad that you have to use them again!  :RantExplode:

gasoline_24

I had the exact same problem.  The pinion depth was way off and the preload was no were near where it should be.  I refused to take it back to the guy.  I figure if you screw it up once I am not going to give you another chance.  I had to buy a new set of gears and all new bearings, but it is back on and set up right.  I had similar problems with the tranny.

Kyles69

If I decide NOT to use the same guy, who do you recommend that I send my carrier too for proper (re)set up?

elacruze

Well, being a cheapskate, here's what I'd do.

Give the shop the opportunity to make it right. Tell them if their guy isn't up to it, send it out to somebody who is up to it.
Obviously, they should do this for you at zero cost to you.

If they refuse, document everything including the noise with a video camera, dated and witnessed, then send your diff off to someone well-known (Dr. Diff, Randy's R&P) Have them document what was wrong as they take it apart. Then send that bill to the shop who originally did the work, with a letter asking them to reimburse you and pointing out your good faith in not bringing consumer affairs or the BBB into their business.
:Twocents:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.