News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ballast resistor smoking

Started by billschroeder5842, March 27, 2010, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I replaced my ballast resitor on my 69 with a 393. I'm not sure the old one was working or not, but the car ran real rough and the plastic electircal wire tips from the harness seemed melted from excessive heat. Th e new one has an exposed element on the back where as the old one was sealed.

I replaced the resistor and turned the key on "run" without starting it to check connections and continuity. I quickly noticed that the resistor swtarted to smoke so I turned the key off  and disconnected the ballast resistor wires. Looks like no harm.

Is there a problem or is the smoke just the new resistor heating up for the first time and buring off "its new-ness?"

I'm real cautious as I allready melted on harness this year!
Texas Proud!

maxwellwedge

I have had a new repro smoke on me once - turned out ok. Like you said - maybe the newness - varnish burning off etc. But, sounds like you had other problems if your terminals look melted. Keep a good eye on it. If you have points it is not a good idea to keep the key in the on position as this can burn your points.

bakerhillpins

If your terminals are melted you might want to think about replacing them. If they got hot enough to melt/discolor then the crimp connection in the terminal is probably compromised and will only get worse.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

billschroeder5842

Thanks. I played with it a bit more and the smoke went away...

Now I have other problems, see "mean green wire"
Texas Proud!

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on March 27, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
Thanks. I played with it a bit more and the smoke went away...

Now I have other problems, see "mean green wire"

As you said my friend, the easy fixes are always the best! ;)  Hope you get the Green Wire issue solved!   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

skip68

They will smoke at first.   :yesnod:    Nothing to worry about.   :2thumbs:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69bronzeT5

I put a brand new ballast resistor in my Duster in Feburary and it never smoked? :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TylerCharger69

There is a difference in points style resistors and ECU style resistors.....for what it's worth