News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's this foil stuff under my intake??

Started by sixpack_sid, March 27, 2010, 09:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am restoring a '68 Charger. I recently bought a used 440 engine out of a 77 New Yorker. I was cleaning up the engine and noticed under the intake manifold, there is some foil insulation. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement part-and what is it's purpose?
Thanks! :smilielol:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

maxwellwedge

Throw it in the trash and don't worry about it!  ;D

A few threads about it. It was more a noise thing for the luxo-barges.

1BAD68

I know of a 70 RT thats unrestored and has that foil on the valley pan.
I think it was a heat barrier to keep the carb and intake cooler.

A383Wing

Yup...it's on my 66 Charger 383 big blocks as well....it's the insulation barrier to keep engine heat from the underside of the intake.

Factory stuff right there....put it on ebay and make a fortune  :D

Nacho-RT74

temperature ? as far I know is sound insulation, not temperature
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 27, 2010, 11:34:03 PM
temperature ? as far I know is sound insulation, not temperature

I actually have heard both versions....but from what I have heard and read on other forums about the insulation stuff, it was for keeping heat off the underside of intake....

Again, from what I was told.....

Most people take that stuff and toss it anyway...along with the front & rear valley plates that is usually there (see pics below)

sixpack_sid

When I restored my 73 charger I found the foil under the intake of my 400. I did throw it away and when I started running it, it would stall out on me after it warmed up. I ultimately changed the intake. Now that I'm working on this car-it hit me that maybe the foil is a heat shield. I ruined the foil when cleaning the engine and would like to replace it. Does anyone know where I can get it?
Thanks for the help!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

A383Wing

I have heard people using house insulation and foil wrap from the kitchen

histoy

The foil was to reduce noise, not to reduce heat.   There is a heat crossover passage built into the stock intake manifold to help improve fuel vaporization.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: histoy on March 28, 2010, 10:27:19 AM
The foil was to reduce noise, not to reduce heat.   There is a heat crossover passage built into the stock intake manifold to help improve fuel vaporization.

Yep, sound deadner.

BBD

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 27, 2010, 10:52:48 PM
I know of a 70 RT thats unrestored and has that foil on the valley pan.
I think it was a heat barrier to keep the carb and intake cooler.

Never seen them on anything (talking 440 here - can't comment on 383's) but lo-horse 440's. It was for sound insulation. Does that survivor have its original motor? Is it an orange motor? Could have been a mistake at the engine dress-up department as well. One thing I have learned over the years - I have not seen them all and never say never!

A383Wing