News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley or just leave the Edelbrock

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, March 16, 2010, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71383bee

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 21, 2010, 09:41:01 PM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 21, 2010, 07:30:13 PM
I put the 600 CFM 3310 Holley on my stock 383 and it runs great. I still need to do a final adjust on the air fuel mixture but it is running good. I dont have the kickdown linkage hooked up yet. The eddy lever would not hook up to the Holley, but was able to hook up the accelerator cable. I still need a few more fasteners to get all hooked up right.

Is there a certain way to adjust the kickdown linkage? I have heard that you really need to get this adjust right or you can screw up your transmission? Anybody have any comments about this?

Thanks,

The 3310 is a 750 cfm carb.....is that the one you used or was it the 600cfm unit. just wondering ?

Glad to hear it's running better, not surprised to hear that  ;)

For the throttle ; you need the correct Mopar adapter to maintain proper pedal ratio. The part number is Holley # 20-7  :yesnod:

Once you have that you can connect the kickdown linkage and make adjustments accordingly. Don't drive without the kickdown properly adjusted or you will burn up the transmission.

Ron

YES...VERY IMPORTANT!  DON'T DRIVE IT!  Not until you get the kickdown working properly. 

Do you have the 1 piece or 3 piece set up?
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

ACUDANUT

Yea, without the kickdown lever hooked up you will burn out the transmission. IMO that 600 Holley is too lean for a 383. You need a Holley 740. :Twocents:

Sixt8Chrgr

My mistake, the Holley is List 1850-4 which I am pretty sure is a 600 CFM.

I did drive the car about 15 miles or so. The transmission is still working, but I want drive it again.

I will get part number 20-7.

Thanks,

71383bee

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 22, 2010, 06:53:03 AM

I did drive the car about 15 miles or so. The transmission is still working, but I want drive it again.

Thanks,

15 MILES!  Did you at least wire the lever on the tranny wide open! 

Man this is NO joke.  I can guarantee you have already damaged your tranny.  You may not notice it right away, But with out the proper line pressure it will FRY it...period end of story.

Most stories I have heard is that it will only take about 7 to 10 miles without the kick down to do considerable damage.  The wire wide open deal is an old time trick that is to be used in an emergency to get you to a garage or home in a relatively short distance. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Sixt8Chrgr

Does Holley part number 20-67 work in conjunction with 20-7 or is it a either or application?

Thanks,

flyinlow

[
Is there a certain way to adjust the kickdown linkage? I have heard that you really need to get this adjust right or you can screw up your transmission? Anybody have any comments about this?

Hook the throttle pressure linkage up.  Your torkflight will love you for it.

I have driven 727 /904 and 518's  short distances with it unhooked using small throttle openings (AKA Toyota

Preus without a stuck throttle) . Did not appear to damage it.

At large throttle opening the bands and clutches may slip due to low hydraulic pressure in the transmission.

You will need the Holley bracket for Mopars that Ron suggested. This matches the ark of the carb with the ark of

the transmission throttle lever.

Adjust the linkage so that wide open carb happens at the same point as max throttle pressure.

Throttle peassure linkage should start to move just off idle.

Holding the  throttle pressure linkage at max the carb should be able to stay at idle. That is why there is a slot to

prevent a jammed throttle pressure linkage from jamming the carb wide open.

Test drive: At small throttle openings the trans should shift at low rpms with no engine rev up on the 2-3 shift.

At medium throttle , med rpm shifts and firmer

At full throttle , 5000 rpm+ shifts  , firm shift

Trans should downshift at normal speeds with sudden full throttle application.

Adjustments: If engine revs on 2-3 shift  or shifts early at WOT it may need more throttle pressure

If trans shifts late at small throttle openings or dos not want to down shift into first as you slow to a

stop it may need less throttle pressure.

I am not a transmission expert, but this is how I have done it over the years.   :Twocents:

Sixt8Chrgr

I shifted the transmission myself for most of the trip. I only let it shift by it self three times or so. I downshifted a few times, but otherwise I let it downshift. Is shifting yourself take some of the risk out of damaging the transmission?

What is done is done, if I fried it oh well...lesson learned.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 71383bee on March 22, 2010, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 22, 2010, 06:53:03 AM

Thanks,

Is wide open when the transmission lever is pushed all the way back to the rear of the car? maybe it was not 15 miles but not too far from that.

15 MILES!  Did you at least wire the lever on the tranny wide open! 

Man this is NO joke.  I can guarantee you have already damaged your tranny.  You may not notice it right away, But with out the proper line pressure it will FRY it...period end of story.

Most stories I have heard is that it will only take about 7 to 10 miles without the kick down to do considerable damage.  The wire wide open deal is an old time trick that is to be used in an emergency to get you to a garage or home in a relatively short distance. 

Is

Sixt8Chrgr

Thanks Flyinlow. I think I understand how to do it. Just to clarify a point. With wide open carb the transmission linkage should be pushed all the way back towards the rear of the car which pushes the lever on the transmission down. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks,

flyinlow

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 22, 2010, 02:56:40 PM
Thanks Flyinlow. I think I understand how to do it. Just to clarify a point. With wide open carb the transmission linkage should be pushed all the way back towards the rear of the car which pushes the lever on the transmission down. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks,

Yep.

As I understand it, as you open the throttle you increase the hydrualic preasure to the clutch packs and servos ,clamping them tighter for high power operations. For some reason the preasures are highest in reverse.

John Kunkle or RD could probably explane it better or more correctly.

Craig

Sixt8Chrgr

Well the 600 Holley seems to be the right choice for now.

I got the carb tuned right and bumped the initial timing to 15 degrees and the ole stocker 383 4 barrell will stand up now. I am running P255 60R15 tires on the rear 3.23 posi gears and from a standing stop...then punching it the car does a reasonable burnout. With the Eddy and 10 degrees timing the old girl was a bit sluggish. But now with the Holley and the bump in timing the car runs good.

Thanks Ron.

Lawrence

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 27, 2010, 09:06:23 PM
Well the 600 Holley seems to be the right choice for now.

I got the carb tuned right and bumped the initial timing to 15 degrees and the ole stocker 383 4 barrell will stand up now. I am running P255 60R15 tires on the rear 3.23 posi gears and from a standing stop...then punching it the car does a reasonable burnout. With the Eddy and 10 degrees timing the old girl was a bit sluggish. But now with the Holley and the bump in timing the car runs good.

Thanks Ron.

Lawrence

Right on....amazing what some tuning and a good carb will do for performance.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs