News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

any edelbrock guru's??

Started by 73-charger-383, March 27, 2010, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

.. I rebuilt a carter/edelbrock carb this winter and am now wondering if i did something wrong, or if the carb is shot.  Prior to the rebuild, neither of the mixture screws had any effect on the carb.  I could turn them both all of the way in without getting any response.  --I rebuilt the carb (and yes i followed the directions)....now i can start the car, but can only get it to idle by "feathering" my hand over the top of it.  As long as i'm cutting off some of the air it runs great, but the second i take my hand away it dies.  >>> the adjustment screw still don't seem to be "working".  Even when i choke it (it's manual) i have to keep it near fully choked in order to get it to run.  --I know it sounds like i've got a huge vacuum leak, but i haven't been able to find one. 
>> the carb had sat installed on a different car without being drained over a Minnesota winter.   --could it be something internally (that i couldn't see during the rebuild)  got cracked or damaged, or is it more likely that i've just got something tuned crazy wrong with the carb itself. 

thanks

TylerCharger69

sounds like the idle circuitry wasnt cleaned out very well...may have some matter in there...How did you clean it before assembly?

73-charger-383

just spraying carb cleaner through all of the ports i could find, and of course just manually removing any crud that i saw while i was doing it.....what SHOULD have i done??...lol

73-charger-383

allright, i just went out and starting tearing down the carb one more time.....i'm just going to clean and reassemble it, hopefully i'll spot something.

TylerCharger69

You need air pressure for cleaning out all of those ports and canals going through there...If you look right directly above the mixture screws in the front...you'll see some round silver disc type things....those need to be removed for proper cleaning....the new kit should have replacements...they fit in real tight!!!

HPP

If you think you have a vacuum leak, have you tried disconnectng the power brake booster hose and plugging the port on the manifold? Some tmes boosters go bad and cause huge vacuum leaks that are hard to trace. same deal with vacum canisters on teh distributor. Plug all the hose connection son teh carb/intake.spacers and see if that changes the idle. If so, ou can eliminate leak on teh engine, then start pluggin thng in on eby one to see what makes it go haywire.

Also, I'll second the vote that more extensive carb cleaning is necessary that a spray jetcleaner. You need to soak these in a bucket of cleaner than blow everthing out with air.

Try that and see what happens.

73-charger-383

when i tore into it again i found the needles (if that the little triangle blocks) were stuck "up"  when the float was dropped down, they weren't following suit.  I took the floats off and pulled them out.  After i cleaned them up i reassembled them and they move freely now.  I also set the floats according to edelbrocks website and not the literature that came with the rebuild kit.  The kit said 15/16 hang, the website said 1 1/4 with a quarter inch tolerance.  I put it all back together late last night and it seems to be working alot closer to what it should.  I'm going to run back out in a bit and see if it actually fixed the problem or not.
--does it make sense that if they were sticking up, i'd have to choke it a ton to get it to run??

thanks for the help

73-charger-383

problem number 2 found....the fuel line was severly pinched right by the pump....now i'm wondering is i was having to choke it due to low supply......well....back to work