News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever get to the point where you think about giving up?

Started by 451-74Charger, March 26, 2010, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

I have had my Charger 9 years, have not so much as undone a bolt (other than to remove bumpers).
I keep thinking, how long do I let it sit before I throw in the towel and sell it.
I know my wife wont let me, and I cant do much on it without building my garage, trouble is every time i get enough money to start building something happens (usually losing a job or having a baby sort of puts the brakes on any project). This time BOTH happen together. but Im still here and working (for now at least).
I have 2 other cars that need work on them, that at least I can drive 1 of those.
I have seen so many people give up on their dreams and felt sorry for them, but now know even more the reasons and feelings they had.
Dont worry, im not going anywhere, in fact im using this "down" time to re-evaluate how I can get this project going with the limited resources I have at hand, and the great support I get from this site.
My goal was to drive my Charger by my 40th, that may not happen, but there is always a possibility.
If I stick with the old 318 and 904, and just freshen up the body, i can drive it. However, i wanted to strip to a bare shell and paint properly, leading the joints etc, so no bondo.
but that can be a later restoration if I want

Matthan

If you are thinking about what you did not get done yesterday, then you are not doing anything today.

694spdRT

If you don't have the time, resources etc. to do a full resto then I would freshen up the body and get it back on the road. There are plenty of cars running around like that.(probably most)

I did the ground up thing on my '69 and I can't say that it is any more fun to drive than my '68 was with the 80's enamel paint job and bondoed up quarters. At least you can get some enjoyment out of it that way vs leaving it sit for another 10 or 20 years.  :Twocents:  
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

resq302

Hell, I'm to that point everyday with something in my life.  Usually, I just take a deep breath, step away from the project or whatever is bothering me for a while and then return to it another day.  This way it gives me time to settle down, relax, and then you can think more clearly.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Skyview69

I've had my 71 for 20 years...still not near finished.  I've had my 69 now for 5 years...Haven't been able to touch it.  Like you said things happen and the cars always take a back seat to family and housing...but I still have them and I will hopefully keep them. I plan to make lots of progress on the 71 this summer and hope to ahave a driver by early next summer.  It will happen just stick with it

Road Dog

My 69 has never been restored, but if things need fixin at the time it gets fixed. I 've been talking lately about selling mine. It needs stuff done new trunk floor (not terrible , but still) Gonna need a motor rebuild probably in the next year or 3. I've got a 3 year old now and my priority money wise is not the car. I've owned it since 1978 and it is my first car. Only plus is it still looks decent and I can take it out and drive it every weekend. Sometimes I just think about what will needs to be done and think about selling.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

89MOPAR

You should consider figuring out how to put 3-4 months of living expenses aside. Until you do that and can keep it there, UNTOUCHED, you'll probably feel guilty spending money on the car that should go to bills, family, house, etc.

Then each big roadbump in the future will seem a little smaller.  It's free advice, and that's what its worth.  But i can tell you it's a lot easier for me to justify buying new drag radials/springs/etc with money in the bank and a 1yr old kid, than if i was on the edge of being broke with a baby.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Troy

Every day. Seriously. And I don't have a wife, kids, or a house. There are times when working on a project (or multiple projects in my case) just gets to be overwhelming. Coming here and seeing other people's progress and learning how to do things right tend to lessen the anxiety and make all things seem possible. Without that I'd have sold out long ago. I'd probably have a finished, drivable car though so even that's not a bad situation to be in. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemi68charger

This is exactly why I gave up my '68 Hemi Charger R/T project and Dana (my former '69 T7 Charger 500 4-speed car) in trade for my current Daytona. Got tired of running after money/funds that always seemed to end up in of all places; groceries, kid's stuff, bills, home projects, etc. Everyone here pretty much knows the story. Now, I have a nice driver and collar room for the next project, my replacement '69 Charger 500.

Life is too short sometimes for the average Joe to be chasing too many dream cars.... unless you're Mr. Trump, Leno or the latest winner of Survivor, you simply have to make realistic decisions.. More than likely, it'll put a smile on your face and miles under your tires.......

AB (Troy)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

I agree with all of the above.  Your gonna be 40 soon?  Well, you're not getting any younger and pretty soon you'll be turning 50 and still no Charger to drive.  So i'd get that car back on the road as soon as possible and skip the full blown resto for now and wait till your kids are grown up.  They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

451-74Charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 26, 2010, 11:53:05 AM
  They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:

I think that is motivation right there !!!

grdprx

I agree with all of the above.  Your gonna be 40 soon?  Well, you're not getting any younger and pretty soon you'll be turning 50 and still no Charger to drive.  So i'd get that car back on the road as soon as possible and skip the full blown resto for now and wait till your kids are grown up.  They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:

That's what I'm trying to do, get memories with the kids.  I asked my 4 year old if he wanted a Charger when he grew up.  He replies, "No, it doesn't move and you always have to fix it!  I want mom's car.  She can go buy a new one."  I tell him that mom can't afford a new car, to which he replies.  "Then she can run!"

Fix the car, and enjoy it!  I tried to get mine running by my 30th.  That was last year.  Almost made it this year, but now I am shooting for the summer.  I enjoy every acomplishment made on the car though!

bull

Oh yea, several times I've considered quitting and many times very seriously. And sometimes looking at other people's cars makes it worse because when I look at how perfect some of them are I think of all the time involved to do what they've done and it's actually a little frustrating. I think the key to it is to take little bites each day. Some days all you do is organize your garage or clean up a couple bolts and other days you'll install the engine or half the interior but it all counts toward progress. Just keep plugging away because I can guarantee that if you quit you'll wish you hadn't.

Patronus

Sometimes, its such a big project. Kinda creeps you out when you take it apart and are like...."well sure hope I can get her back together." Thats where this place comes in, always someone here to help. I think the hardest part (for me) is seeing everyones nice cars on here. What usually takes 4-5 years Im doing in 6 months....
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hemi68charger

Quote from: 451-74Charger on March 26, 2010, 12:03:37 PM
 They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:

100%. I have vague, albeit fond, memories of myself and my Dad with his '69 Daytona when he had it new... Now, I want my kids, Julie and Jacob, to experience the exact same thing... One difference though,,,,,,,,,,,, I won't be thinking of my Daytona as "just another car" like my Dad did back in the day....... :)

You can't experience moments like this with a garage-queen........

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

41husk

I would also suggest buying something that you can take to shows and cruises.  Maybe needs interior, paint etc.  I hated during the over 10 years that I was trying to finish my challenger, being the guy at the show telling the people showing there cars, " I have a convertible challenger in the garage"  and feeling that many simply did not believe you.  If I had not bought a car that wasn't real nice to show and enjoy, I would probably never had finished the challenger.  It also helped that I changed from a nut and bolt restoration, trailer Queen car to a nice driver after finding the original motor was missing and a few other issues. 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

grdprx

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 26, 2010, 12:31:15 PM
 They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:

100%. I have vague, albeit fond, memories of myself and my Dad with his '69 Daytona when he had it new... Now, I want my kids, Julie and Jacob, to experience the exact same thing... One difference though,,,,,,,,,,,, I won't be thinking of my Daytona as "just another car" like my Dad did back in the day....... :)

Awesome pic!

Road Dog

They wont have memories of riding arounding in "Dads" Charger while its parked in the garage throughout there childhood.   :Twocents:

My boy is 3 years 5 mo and loves riding in the car. Wife says I can't sell it for that reason and I agree. He'll have lots of pics and memories for sure.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

hemi68charger

Quote from: grdprx on March 26, 2010, 12:54:59 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 26, 2010, 12:31:15 PM

Awesome pic!

Thanks...  :icon_smile_big:   Proud Papa.....
Troy

FLG

Man reading all these replies sure makes me feel damn lucky where I am with my car.

I got her 3 years ago (I'm 21 now) and I've been doing all I can to keep her drivable and keep gathering parts on the side.

I wish I made further progress but recently things have gotten really well for me. The new engine should be done this month, than its the tranny, all the interior pieces, trunk floor, and a pass quarter panel, bulge hood and a few other things and its time to save cash and get her ready for the shop. I'm not touching the car until I gather the rest of the parts. There's no point in taking a car apart when you don't have the funds to put it back together. Plus I get to enjoy it every week. I've grown to LOVE the fact its unrestored, I can lean on it and sit on the front bumper, I don't need to worry so much about where I park...but I can't wait till its perfect.

If its going to take you too long and you want to enjoy the car either freshen it up and get her on the road..or sell yours and find a driver. You can score one for pretty cheap if you look around. There's even a forum member selling a clean 3rd gen driver for around 5k if you look in the sale section.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FLG on March 26, 2010, 01:00:10 PM
If its going to take you too long and you want to enjoy the car either freshen it up and get her on the road..or sell yours and find a driver. You can score one for pretty cheap if you look around. There's even a forum member selling a clean 3rd gen driver for around 5k if you look in the sale section.

When I get my "new" '69 Charger 500 next month, it'll have a kaleidoscope of a front clip, a Daytona butt stripe and a blue 440... But, who else can go drive a "Joe-Dirt" C500?   :icon_smile_big:

Like FLG, I'll gather parts I don't already have and get her running as an auto. Then, I'll paint and convert to a 4-speed later.......
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 26, 2010, 01:14:56 PM

When I get my "new" '69 Charger 500 next month, it'll have a kaleidoscope of a front clip, a Daytona butt stripe and a blue 440... But, who else can go drive a "Joe-Dirt" C500?   :icon_smile_big:

Like FLG, I'll gather parts I don't already have and get her running as an auto. Then, I'll paint and convert to a 4-speed later.......
you can borrow my wing for a while and really look like JOE   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on March 26, 2010, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 26, 2010, 01:14:56 PM

you can borrow my wing for a while and really look like JOE   

I'd have to get a limp-eyed front nose to do that..........   :lol:
Troy

694spdRT

My little boy just turned 21 months old. The last two toy cars we let him pick out(on his own) were a '70 Challenger R/T and a '69 Charger R/T.

I am hoping that trend continues as the little squirt gets older. I think "car car" even came before mama or dada on the first words list.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

472 R/T SE

The only time I got frustrated was around the early 90's.  There were several cars I wanted but couldn't afford.  I had a nice '68 Coronet R/T but wanted to move up.

So I changed professions doubling my pay.

Brock Samson

I was just thinking reading this that if I hadn't stuck to my guns and actually had gone off buying the good deals that came up along the way - i never would've got my dream car,.. I would've had second and third choices and still regretted not having the '69 R/T S.E. I wanted ever since i saw the new car introductions in a magazine in 1969,..
Could'a got a clone  '71 El Camino 454 LS-6 for $14K and at the same price a reference quality sea foam green, one owner, low mialage '66 Toronado - that's now in a museum collection, and there was that '72 Plum Crazy Six-Pack Challanger with the elastomeric bumpers the he needed only $6.5K for in the mid '90s...
But I stuck to my charger and I'm glad...
and i'm thinking your priorities are in the right place, so be proud of your self and your wifes' support for your charger..
Things will come along, as Lau Tzu said, "Nature does not hurry yet all things are accomplished"  :shruggy:

Death1970Proof

Im in a similar boat right now with my '70...

Im jobless and in college right now. The time and $$ is just hard to come by at the moment and the car is a MAJOR project that needs quite a bit of work.
I bought it because it was cheap at the time in '07, the prices were stupid on any old muscle in '06/7. I've already bought so many parts, but then again I feel like
throwing the towel in would be stupid because I have done took the car this far?? But at 28 with no money, things are tough.

Im conflicted. I would not get would what I wanted out of it either. I'd rather keep something than give it away after all I've done  :Twocents:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

mauve66

i've had mine for 17 yrs this May and only drove it for 2 of those, always put kids future and house first, i waited on the car cuase i had this "VISION" of what i wanted it to be. 

now the house is gone due to job loss, economy, bankruptcy,  and the kid has no idea what he wants to do with his life. now i'm starting to work on the car, the hell with everything else, i'll never make my vision but it will travel under its own power to the 1st Gen 45th BDAY next year, whether or not its in primer or has a full interior may still be an issue.......................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

terrible one

Wow some of you guys are troopers! And I thought 5 years was a long time. (Seems it when that's 1/4 of the life I've lived so far!) I've definitely been close to "giving up." Hell, I've done so if you count taking a year long break and hating the damn car giving up, but I've never really come close to "giving up" the car! No matter what it always calls me back for another asswhoopin'!

1969chargerrtse

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34954.0.html

Oh yeah, I was burnt out and frustrated many times, but I kept plugging on with help from here and determination to get things right.  I now have a beautiful driver and in about 30 mins I'm going for my coffee run.  As I see it, beautifying the roads.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

RD

dude, my RR has been a dream of mine since 2003.  i finally got it going where i want it to.  there are many things you can be doing to your car to get it going, dont set your goals so high that you think they are unattainable.. because.. (1) you will never reach that stage to start your project or (2) you will become depressed and put on a veil of impotence in regards to actually wanting to start on your car.

my advice:

lay out a specific plan on what you NEED done in order to enjoy your car again.  stick to the plan and START... above all, just start!!!

it sounds like you are wandering somewhat aimlessly in regards to your charger.... dont do this for 40 years like Moses, get in there and do IT!  The sooner you start and begin to enjoy what you are doing and see definitive progress, the blues will slowly fade away, I promise.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

resq302

RD is right.  When I got my charger in July of 2000, I was suddenly faced with an engine that had 3 spun main bearings and no oil pressure.  Granted, the outside of the car was pretty much perfect which is why I bought the car.  However, the undercarriage was spray bombed black and the interior was a mess.  Over the past 10 years, I have gotten the car slowly back to what it is now.  The important thing is that you set goals.  For me, I did one major project each year when I could afford it.  First and foremost was to get the car driving again which meant getting the engine rebuilt.  Then I could at least drive it around occasionally to vent stress or just for enjoyment.  Granted, nothing much to look at aside from the outside of the car.  The next year I chose to attack the interior or do that over the winter.  (cant remember which).  The following year, I addressed the trans that would pop out of third gear when I took my foot off the gas.  The next year I addressed the leaking rear axle seal and ended up rebuilding the entire rear axle just so it was done right.  Lets face it, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were our cars, well.... restoring them at least.  I always get compliments on my charger even when I thought it looked like total crap cause the interior was not there.  People still will appreciate your car especially if it is driven since you are out and about with it.  No matter what you do, you will always know there is stuff to do on your car even when the general public will not.  I know there is stuff on my car that bother me but I have learned to live with as there is more important things now in my life like my daughter and my house so you just learn to let the little things slide by with time.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bzabodyn

Oh yeah... I thought of throwing in the towel many thousands of dollars ago!  Been quite rough, but it's a story my kids will be able to tell their kids while the Charger's still in THEIR garage... after everything and the fact that this is probably the most significant car to ever be sold in my hometown (El Campo, TX), there's no way I'm letting it leave again.

I keep trying to justify the investment, but that side of it is difficult - it's a passion and an illness and just it costs a lot of money to play the game... It'll be one of the best damn HEMI Chargers in the world when it's done though!

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

OneofNoneRT

I dont think she would let me.. :laugh:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

John_Kunkel

I've not only thought about giving up, I've done it.

Case in point, my '62 Dart 2-door wagon project, after six months and $11K I realized that I no longer have the staying power for long-term projects; I now restrict myself to smaller short-term "tinkering" projects where the car isn't laid up for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Like the movie line, "A man's gotta know his limitations". 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.