News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After highschool job.

Started by charger_cody, March 24, 2010, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Ok guys I am getting as much info as I possibly can on what I should get into after highschool. I WILL be living with my parents after highschool for atleast a year to get my basics out of the way at a community college then after that I will be going to a university. I have not a clue what I want to do as a job to get ready for the big world while I have the time. I need everyones suggestions about what I should do that pays decent and won't tie me away from my school. I worked fast food for 3 years of my life and didn't enjoy a minute of it. But I am open to ANYTHING.  :2thumbs:

Cody

chargergirl

Check into the Work Study programs at your school. If you qualify you can be working at the same college you are studying at. We had a few working with us in Biology and it was a great help. You get to know the staff and have the inside scoop on who's a great teacher and who is just ok. I took a class in Nutrition during the summer & found out the first week it was a medical pre-req. I was about to dump the class when all the pre-med and nursing students told me he was the best to take it with...that and Phys and Anat classes. He was awesome and made a difficult class great. It's that kind of info that can make or break a class. Work at the college.
Trust your Woobie!

Darkman

My advice is:

Write down a list of 5 things you are most passionate about (rate them too 1 being most passionate to 5 being least passionate)
Write down a list of 5 things you would be interested about (rate them from 1 to 5)
Write down a list of 5 things you could do if you had to.

If you are truly passionate about something, then you can do it as both a career and hobby, but if you are interested in it, then make sure it doesn't have anything to do with your hobbies as you will not do it for work and play.

Also decide if you want it to be a career or just a job to pay the bills!

If you can't find 5 things to fill each list, then you have already narrowed down what to do next!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Darkman on March 24, 2010, 10:36:15 PM
My advice is:

Write down a list of 5 things you are most passionate about (rate them too 1 being most passionate to 5 being least passionate)
Write down a list of 5 things you would be interested about (rate them from 1 to 5)
Write down a list of 5 things you could do if you had to.

If you are truly passionate about something, then you can do it as both a career and hobby, but if you are interested in it, then make sure it doesn't have anything to do with your hobbies as you will not do it for work and play.

Also decide if you want it to be a career or just a job to pay the bills!

If you can't find 5 things to fill each list, then you have already narrowed down what to do next!

Thats all very good advice. I would also try and figure out something that you can do that the world might need.

As a very fat and lazy society we live in now   heating and air conditioning is a good example. No matter what welfare leech or working for a living you got to stay warm in the winter and most likely run the AC in the summer.

Autobody  is a very good field as there are more cars on the road then ever before that get into wrecks everyday that insurance usually pays to fix. Not every one is a classic car restoration guy working for the guy paying cash. Keep in mind that your body could go out on you at age 40 doing autobody. What would you do then.......learn the entire field. Maybe you could then manage a shop or work for an insurance company doing  estimates. See where I am going with this..........look ahead and plan for the best and worst case situations.

The one thing I know you havent even thought about as a young kid is what happens if you have a disc go out of your back or a knee go bad or a shoulder go bad and maybe cant work that job due to that injury later. What are you gonna do at 45 years of age if you cant do the job you went to school for because your body broke down. Maybe even find a field where you dont work with your body. Use your head! Wear nice clothes and stay clean all day at work!

Todd

Darkman

Growing up as a kid, I was surrounded by all the men in my family working hard to support their families (nothing wrong with that!). They would work long hard hours come home filthy dirty, smelly, tired and grumpy! Now that they are on in age, they have all had hip/knee replacements, arthritis, bad backs and can barely move. It was a long running joke that I vowed I would never carry a toolbox to work and carry a briefcase. I always (from a young age) wanted a university degree and now I have 2! I work in an office managing a civil construction business. I come home to my family and look forward to spending time with the family, but now have found time to undertake a charger project (my other hobbies were shelved).

So I agree, get a job that you won't bust yourself over and come home happy and clean! To this day I am the only one out of my entire family that has a university education (and boy do the parents love to rub it in to everyone else!  :icon_smile_big: )
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

charger_cody

Hmm good advice guys. I'm taking it all in. There were 3 things that I was in fact thinking about.
1) Real estate
2)Construction
3)A/c Heating Repair or instalation

But there were some downfalls that my parents pointed out, in realestate ou have to take classes, not that much but some, and you have to start out paying $1000 to be employed by a company, I think thats what he said. Both my parents did realestate. So I think they would know.

Construction- Don't you need some type of degree or certificate?

A/C Heat- Also need certificate or??

Cody

no318

I am a community college instructor.  I have seen MANY students graduate with a 2 year technical degree and make just as much or more money than their peers with 4 year degrees (and larger student loans).  In the automotive industry today, as much of the job is technical knowlege, reasoning, and problem solving skills as it is changing parts.  The more technical things get, the less people are able to do it, which makes a person more valuable.  This is not only with auto repair, but many areas of technical skills. 

I agree that people aren't going to live without HVAC, but this also applies to auto repair, auto collision repair, diesel truck and eqpt, electicians, contractors, machinists, welders/fabricator, etc, etc.

I have also found that many of these successful technicians, don't "waste" their training at middle age, but instead change their direction and move into the next level of shop ownership, specialized repairs (ie, transmission bench building, driveability diagnosis, etc.), service managment, technical trainers, parts distribution, etc. 

I know that it is not for everyone, but there are ALOT of good, interested young people that are advised against a 2 year degree to not "sell themselves short", which isn't always good counsel.  I have 2 years AAS and a BS.   

charger_cody

Well I guess I should have specified on why i'm going to college. After my basics I will be going to OU (Oklahoma University) for some type of enginering. I am MOST interested in aircrafts. So "Aircraft engineer"? I want to do something with airplanes, without the military.

Cody

ITSA426

Cody go find a local airport fixed base operator or flight school, and start looking to pump gas and learn some basic flight line skills.  You develop a good safety sense and an appreciation for taking care of other people's really expensive equipment.  That's a non-military entry point into the aviation industry.

I got an Airframe & Powerplant mechanics license and turned a love of aircraft into a good paying career as a "highly paid, highly skilled, professional in a rewarding industry," at least in the school ads.  I left the industry with an Inspection Authorization and a Designated Mechanic Examiner authorization.  Somewhere in there I picked up a Commercial pilots license with instrument and multi engine ratings. 

I worked on fabric covered antique airplanes to composite structures, helicopters, sailplane, opposed and radial recip engines to  turbines.  The variety is endless.  I finished by working for a major airline which took a lot of the fun out of the job but paid better.

I loved going to work every day, bought a boat load of quality tools and made more money than a lot of engineers.  I was never unemployed until I decided to give it up.  But you tend to need to be willing to move around.  There's a reason those tool boxes have wheels.  Been laid off a few times but could always find another job.  It's a lot of responsibility but the rewards are well worth it.

twodko

Hey Cody,

ITSA426 offers sage advice. You MUST have an A&P license (Airframe & Powerplant) to wrench on aircraft. Local airports are, indeed, the perfect place to start. I was a aircraft mechanic in the Navy back in the day. Speaking only of Naval aviation, they teach you to wrench ONLY on the Navy's aircraft and don't provide any transferable basis for earning an A&P in civilian life. The Air Force, on the other hand does get its mechanic A&P certified. Go the civilian route and you'll learn everything from ground wires to checking for water in the fuel tanks to how to safety wire to metalurgy and on up. Go for it!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

charger_cody

Great guys!!! You both have opened my eyes. First thing tomorrow I will be driving to Tink Afb to see what I could get myself into as a college student with a highschool diploma.  :cheers: :cheers:

Cody

ITSA426

Don't be afraid to look around small general aviation airports.

twodko

What he said Cody.

I could be wrong but Tinker might be a deadend for you. Good Luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

73-charger-383

It's a ways away from you, but i'm graduating from this college in a month or so....we we're actually just out there (the aviation campus) for a class, and the place is amazing.  -Plus Digi-Key (my employer)  has been adding jobs like crazy to keep up with expansion, so part time work wouldn't be that hard to find....

--the people graduating from this program are getting 100% placement, and making REALLY good money.  I guy I know from years past is pulling over 100K per year, and getting flown around the world to upkeep helicoptors..

http://www.northlandcollege.edu/aviation/

If you into aviation, it's definatly worth checking out.....PM me if you want more info.

Skinypete

Hey buddy!

If your looking for a good job with decent pay ($8.50 start) part time in the evenings apply to UPS.  You get great benefits and raises every year.

https://upsjobs.managehr.com/

I've been working there for over a year and a half and it beats the hell outta fast food!

DJMIII
DJMIII

stripedelete

Theres alot of good advice here.  I very much agree with what ChargerGirl has to say about "work study" programs in what ever you're persuing.   It will help with finding what you will enjoy/really interests you.

A coupe of other things:

1. Statistics show a direct correlation between the level of education you obtain and the amount of money you will make over a lifetime.

2. I came across one that might be worth checking into if you like the outdoors.  Wetlands Engineer.  I had to work with one once.  He operated as an independent and had a pretty good gig going.  The EPA and the Army Corp of Engineers are not going away.

Good luck.

charger_cody

Quote from: Skinypete on March 25, 2010, 09:22:00 PM
Hey buddy!

If your looking for a good job with decent pay ($8.50 start) part time in the evenings apply to UPS.  You get great benefits and raises every year.

https://upsjobs.managehr.com/

I've been working there for over a year and a half and it beats the hell outta fast food!

DJMIII

This completely slipped my mind!!!!!!  :slap:

Quote from: 73-charger-383 on March 25, 2010, 05:56:43 PM
It's a ways away from you, but i'm graduating from this college in a month or so....we we're actually just out there (the aviation campus) for a class, and the place is amazing.  -Plus Digi-Key (my employer)  has been adding jobs like crazy to keep up with expansion, so part time work wouldn't be that hard to find....

--the people graduating from this program are getting 100% placement, and making REALLY good money.  I guy I know from years past is pulling over 100K per year, and getting flown around the world to upkeep helicoptors..

http://www.northlandcollege.edu/aviation/

If you into aviation, it's definatly worth checking out.....PM me if you want more info.

You have a PM!!!  :cheers:

I think I found out what I am going to do..... I am going to make a complete list of my choice and I am going to make a resume'. I'm going to apply to every position I am interested in and if I get more than one call I am going to take the one that benefits me most. Speaking of benefits, getting benefits from a job would save me a ton of money. :scratchchin:

Cody

69bronzeT5

Quote from: charger_cody on March 25, 2010, 08:17:35 AM
Hmm good advice guys. I'm taking it all in. There were 3 things that I was in fact thinking about.
1) Real estate

My mom and uncle are realtors. However, my mom has stopped doing it for a while. In real estate, you learn fast you have no life. I'm serious, people call at 11pm at night asking about houses!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dukeboy_01

With summer coming on...you might look at your area rural electric coop...I worked brush crew there for a 1000 hour temp position and knocked down 12 bucks an hour while I was in college.  I work for a generation and transmission power company now with my business administration degree....I've always found good money near power lines.  I am not rich by any means, but electrical power has been good to me.  I work with a bunch of GREAT guys too, most of them are pranksters, but we have a very good time at work, and I love my job.  I do the purchasing/inventory control for 2 and sometimes 3 warehouses.  Somethin to think about too.  Good luck buddy!  Adam

charger_cody

Quote from: dukeboy_01 on March 31, 2010, 07:15:19 AM
With summer coming on...you might look at your area rural electric coop...I worked brush crew there for a 1000 hour temp position and knocked down 12 bucks an hour while I was in college.  I work for a generation and transmission power company now with my business administration degree....I've always found good money near power lines.  I am not rich by any means, but electrical power has been good to me.  I work with a bunch of GREAT guys too, most of them are pranksters, but we have a very good time at work, and I love my job.  I do the purchasing/inventory control for 2 and sometimes 3 warehouses.  Somethin to think about too.  Good luck buddy!  Adam

Hey thanks man, I will definitely keep this in mind. Where would I go to look for this kind of job? OG&E?

Cody

snagm z

charger cody,

Environmental Science Engineering are the best fields to get into with regards to the construction industry.
erosion sediment control, wetlands delineation, waterways, reforestation. I bid a job a year ago that had turtle sniffing dogs included in the price.
The tree huggers are taking over.

steve
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger