News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sandblasting vrs Bakingsoda blasting?

Started by Wicked72, March 22, 2010, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I was wondering if anyone had some exp on bakingsoda blasting. Ill be starting to strip the inside of my 72 soon but Its nasty in there... When I got the car it was completely filled with rat crap so I am considering using a bakingsoda blaster because even after 2 gallons of bleach and scrubbing for 3 days its still gross so Im hoping it will help with the smell. I have never used one so i was wondering what you guys think about them. :scratchchin:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

DC_1

I've done both.

Go with crushed glass on the inside and any rust areas. This will be more aggressive than soda which is good for stripping paint but will not remove rust or body filler. After soda blasting the panels will be smooth and need to be sanded to adhere epoxy or etch primer. Also, if you are going to use soda make sure the car is thoroughly cleaned as soda needs to be neutralized after blasting.

jaak

Be sure to read the tech sheet for the epoxy you are using....SPI strictly forbids using there epoxy on a soda blasted vehicle, infact its written in big bold letters....
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/tech%20sheets%20new/epOXY%202006.pdf

Jason

Wicked72

I think I might just da the outside. And the inside plus the engine bay and undercarriage I was thinking of just using play sand in my blaster. would sand be ok to use?

Cooter

Play sand will clog up sandblasters...That type sand attracts moisture too bad...You need sandblasting sand...It's not that expensive to buy a 100 LB bag for $5.00...Or at least that's what it costs here from my paint supplier...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TylerCharger69

Wicked72

bead blasting media costs about $80 for a 50lb bag lol so going with some blasting sand would be that way to go for me. Ill have to check my local body shop to see if they have any sand media.