News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve Cover Gasket recommendation

Started by hawaiico, December 08, 2005, 12:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiico

On the 440 engine wtih the high performance cast exhaust manifolds I've had two gasket failures from heat.   Not good!   Any recommendations for a gasket that works well with the cast AL Mopar high performance valve covers???   Bob ???
Have Charger, Will Travel .......

cudaken

Bob, I have never had a valve cover fail from heat, well that I know of. On my BB's I use 1975 and up gaskets. They are composite gaskes, real stiff. Helps when installing them. Might be the same for the LA engines in the same years.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Chryco Psycho

I use the Fel Pro compostion , Not rubbber or cork

dkn1997

ehrenberg sells them on ebay, he calls them problem solvers.  I bought a set.  they have a shield built into the manifold gasket that's supposed to prevent burning vc gaskets.  He says they are OEM police from the late 70's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Mopar-383-440-Exhaust-Valve-Cover-PROBLEM-SOLVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34202QQitemZ4596622803QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

check 'em out.

I  got a set and plan on using them.  Also, I got a set of Cometic MLS valve cover gaskets, very rigid.  I plan on a very light layer of sealant between gasket and cover itself, then install dry on the head.  I will let you know how it works out. 

RECHRGED

cudaken

dkn1997, thanks for posting those. I have never seen anything like that before. I still never had a problem with heat causing the valve cover gaskets going bad, but 75% of the time I run headers.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

Fel pro makes the same exhaust gaskets, the problem is that while it May save the valve cover gasket the exhaust gasket seems to fail on a regular basis which is why I never use exhaust  gaskets

hawaiico

Thanks for the input.  You mean you never use this type of exhaust gasket??  bob
Have Charger, Will Travel .......

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 09, 2005, 02:47:47 AM
I use the Fel Pro compostion , Not rubbber or cork

Same here...works great.   :thumbs:

I use Ultra Copper high heat permatex between the gasket and valvecover....nothing between the gasket and head. Make sure the head is clean and dry before reinstalling the valvecover and don't overtorque the gaskets.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I use no gasket between the exhaust manifold & the head ever , same as when it left the factory , I do put a thin layer of ultra Copper silicone to make sure it seals & then it never seems to leak