News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tuners on new Hemi question

Started by Troy, March 22, 2010, 09:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

A friend has a 2006 Charger R/T and asked me about using a chip to increase his fuel mileage. I know most people use a chip for better performance but, sometimes, they also see some mileage gains. He's not the type of guy to drive like a maniac so he won't be hurting mileage after adding the chip by doing burnouts all day. I'm thinking that he'd probably see an improvement with a cold air intake first - and it would be cheaper. Does anyone have real world experience with this?

Also, he was looking at the Diablo Sport but whoever he was talking to told him it would have to be programmed. I thought you could just plug it in on the "base tune" and tweak it later if necessary?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I don't think they've done chips in a while.  It is all the tuner stuff now.  Atleast I haven't seen any for chips for new Challengers or Chargers.  And I frequent lxforums.com and challengertalk.com.

The only "chip" I know of is a little resistor chip that sells on ebay and it junk.

Best thing is the Diablo.  Can increase gas mileage and power.

Troy

Maybe I worded it wrong? "Doohicky" wouldn't have been very descriptive but I'm looking for experience with anything aftermarket that plugs in and modifies the fuel/ignition that will improve (or could improve) fuel mileage.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Black Charger

My 2006 SRT8 is stock but now that it's paid off, it won't stay that way for long. I was also looking at the Diablo tuner, but there are others as well. The hardcore LX guys are really the ones to ask about this. If you like, I could go to the boards and see if I can't find out the info you are looking for.

Better yet, if your friend hasn't already, I would strongly suggest he join a couple of the LX forums. I have learned more about my car from those forums than anywhere else. They keep LX owners informed of everything from step-by-step repairs to current TSBs and recall information. Here are two that I like:

www.chargerforums.com

www.lxforums.com

mauve66

i had superchips (actually a tuner, not a chip anymore, with all tuners you have to program the vehicle but its only a couple of buttons, anyone can do it in about 5 mins) on my 05 ram and it increased power and fuel mileage and i drove it like it was a big block dodge, right now i think the diablo tuner is the best one out there, and yes a cold air intake will do a little bit for the mileage and power but the biggest change will come from the tuner
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment