News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installed a Tachometer wire today...

Started by Dans 68, March 22, 2010, 08:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Here  I am, getting ready for MATS, all the gauges having been refurbished, the tachometer and clock kits installed, and I'm ready to put the instrument panel back in. Being a relatively smart man, I hooked everything up to ensure I have the proper power and signals everywhere before I screw it in. So when I hook up the tach...nothing. "It worked fine when I hard wired it to the coil and battery" I silently moaned. I checked the ground. Good. I checked the 12 volt supply. Good also. Then I checked the coil wire. Nothing. So I looked under the dash to see if there was a break somewhere. Was there ever...the previous owner never hooked up the wire to the coil! It was simply wound around another wire. The tachometer was not an original option, and I knew there was no the properly located tachometer wire going through the cowl, but I thought the previous owner had snaked it through somewhere else. So I knew what needed to be done.  :hack:

I drilled a new hole in the cowl, installed a rubber grommet, snaked the wire (16 ga) through to the tachometer, and connected the wire to the negative side of the coil. All is fine once more. Just another hour spent on the car is all.  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

troy.70R/T

did you start with a non-tach guage cluster? Is it possiable to add a Tach to a non guage cluster? besides the Tach what would I need to change?? where did you find a tach? do they make repo's? thanks Troy

Dans 68

Quote from: troy.70R/T on March 27, 2010, 07:46:37 PM
did you start with a non-tach guage cluster? Is it possiable to add a Tach to a non guage cluster? besides the Tach what would I need to change?? where did you find a tach? do they make repo's? thanks Troy

While my car came from the factory without a tic-toc-tac, it was added later by the previous owner but never hooked up. It is very simple to add the tic-toc-tac in place of the factory clock in a ralley cluster. Adding the wiring (12 volt supply, negative coil wire) is really the simplest part of the upgrade. You can get a tach from a number of suppliers (RTE, Charger Specialities, OER, etc.)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

troy.70R/T