News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

swap 318 by 360? HELP

Started by mister bungle, March 21, 2010, 03:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister bungle

Hi guys,
For my 69 Charger i would like to change my regular 318ci by a 360ci. Is this possible without major other modifications. Some say, i have to change the engine mounts, oil pan,and the convertor/flexplate. Others say it can easely be done without all the above. Could i have your opinion please. I live oversea, and it is not so easy to get the exact information over here.
Thanx
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

1968_Charger

i did the swap by myself, and im no mechanic. you will need the mounts. and the 360 is externally balanced so you will need a flexplate for it. the oilpan will work on the 360 as long as its out of a car. the truck oilpan is different. other than that it drops right in.   :2thumbs:

mister bungle

Thanx 68, i´m more confident now.
Do you feel the diffrence between these engines? i´m not planning to change the gearing...
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

1968_Charger

well i swapped out an old 318 with at least a cam, maybe more(not sure about the motor because it was in the car when i got it) and put in a rebuilt stock 360. the 360 is a little more powerful but its not a huge difference. a mildly built 360 would probably be a big difference though.

Ponch ®

When I was planning on doing this a few years back(going from a 318 to a 360), I was told that there's a way to McGyver the existing engine mounts (It's only one thats different- don't remember which one). You use a metal tube (like an alternator spacer, for example) cut down to size to make the bolt fit. Of course, if you can swing the $150 fazoles for new Schumacher mounts, by all means do it.

B&M makes a flexplate that's already balanced so you can just bolt it on and make the 360 fit the 904 tranny. I don't remember the part number, but you can look it up. I actually have a brand new one that I don't think I'm ever gonna use. If you want it, hit me up and we'll work out a deal.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

1968_Charger

yea the b&m flexplate is the one i used. but i dont remember the part number either.