News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Tail light Panel

Started by Darkman, March 24, 2010, 01:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Hey Charger freaks!

I am planning my Charger rebuild at the moment, and I have sorted all the bits and pieces I want to to to the body but need some advice on the tail light panel.

I have decided to keep the 68 tail lights in the 68 as the look is growing on me, and will paint the car in B7 blue (or similar), but am unsure of what to do with the tail light panel

Should I paint it black or match the body colour?

It has the chrome moulding around the panel. If I am to paint it black, then the moulding would stay, but if it was to be body colour, the moulding would go. It won't have a vinyl roof either.

What do you guys think?
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Hemidog

8WHEELER

My  :Twocents:  it always looks better black, than painted body color.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Darkman

It's a tough decision! I like the look of both styles. I want to get it right the first time!

suntech

moldings, and satin black inside them :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Troy

I think it looks weird without the blacked out tail panel as it's a distinguishing feature of the car. Usually, when it's removed it looks like the owner was just too cheap/lazy to do it right. In the end, it really depends on how "correct" the rest of the car is. The farther away you get from stock the more liberties you can take.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mike DC

Yeah the black will win you the most votes from the crowd. 

IMHO the factory setup looks pretty good.  Although I've wondered about also eliminating the strip of body-colored paint below the lower trim strip.  (Between the chrome bumper and the blacked out area.)  Like just blacking that out too.  Maybe keep the trim piece running through the middle of the big resulting black area, maybe not. 

Sometimes guys like to do the blackout in satin or even glossy black.  Over-restoring these cars is popular and I've got no beef against it. 

But you're interested in staying original there really was no shine to it.  Mopar's "organisol" black paint was about the flattest finish they could give it.  It was like a flat black with texturing.       

twodko

Its your car so finish it the way you want it to look.....but

For me, the car came with a blacked out tail panel shot with organisol. It's a feature that sets our cars apart and looks great INMO.
If you do choose body color put the trim back on the tail panel. I think it would look very odd without it.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Darkman

Thanks for the advice guys. The more I think about it, the more I like the look of the black panel. So black panel it is (considering all the trim is already there)

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of original Chargers, but this one will not be restored back to full original/stock.

Cooter

That red car looks like they forgot something on the taillight panel...Too much color...Black out the area...I hate to see 69's and 70's done with body color as well....Kinda like an elevator in an out house, just don't work...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

1BAD68

Darkman, your Charger looks like it was a RR1 burgundy car  :2thumbs:

Ryan

Quote from: Darkman on March 24, 2010, 04:48:40 AM
It's a tough decision! I like the look of both styles. I want to get it right the first time!

Sorry but I am not a fan of that look. It takes away alot of character from the rear of the car.
Paint it low gloss black like it should be and use the mouldings :2thumbs:
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Silver R/T

Definitely keep it black. It gives it that Ferrari look.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

skip68

BLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACKBLACK.....................

It looks like it's missing something if you do it like the red car.   :rotz:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

elitecustombody

paint it black,please, love the 68 tail,

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Darkman

So the feeling I'm getting is that maybe I should paint it black  :rofl:

Rest at ease, the more I think about it, the more I want it black!

However, if I paint it low gloss black, and put a clear over it, won't that make it glossy?

Darkman

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 24, 2010, 05:22:14 PM
Darkman, your Charger looks like it was a RR1 burgundy car  :2thumbs:

That's right. It was RR1. According to the fender tag. This car is a tripple red it has/had a red vinyl roof on it, red exterior and red interior (even though the tag said it was a black vinyl roof), apparently one of four ever made. Since the tag said it was a black, I don't buy the fact that it was an original red roof from the factory. However, since I'm not a fan of vinyl roof, it will not be going back on the car anyway

68charger383

Quote from: Troy on March 24, 2010, 10:11:20 AM
I think it looks weird without the blacked out tail panel as it's a distinguishing feature of the car. Usually, when it's removed it looks like the owner was just too cheap/lazy to do it right. In the end, it really depends on how "correct" the rest of the car is. The farther away you get from stock the more liberties you can take.

Troy

Here's mine if you want to see it in a blue. I think the black makes the blue stand out even more!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Darkman

:2thumbs:  :coolgleamA: That settles it, black it is!

Hemidog

That's the right answer!  :2thumbs:

Bob T

Yep the right answer is black  :lol:  , just looks nude otherwise  :icon_smile_big:

saw this one on the net a while back tho, not black,  but it seems to work on this car
Old Dog, Old Tricks.