News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RD's Roadrunner *update 5-3-11, she runs w/vid*

Started by RD, March 21, 2010, 03:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Spring break was no break I tell ya.  I decided to bite the bullet and get my RR painted.  Little did I know that my project would turn into a rust hunting and destroy adventure.

Now, those that know me realize that I have never done body work on any car EVER, and to be honest, I never wanted to learn either.  But, I bit the bullet and commenced to start the trial by fire (literally and figuratively).  

First, in order to replace rusty panels you need to know how to shape sheetmetal and weld, of which I knew nothing of either.  Luckily, I have a buddy who does and he taught me enough to make me dangerous so that I may learn the hard way (i.e. make mistakes and fix them) Thanks Russ! (moparguy01).  I did alot of the sanding, filling, sheetmetal fab, and welding.  *disclaimer, I HAVE NEVER WELDED BEFORE IN MY LIFE* I learned the hard way on how to do this.  Granted, it would have been easier if I had a welder with gas, but I did not.  So it was flux core for me and a crap load of patience and contorted angles.  My ability to weld progressed immensely from each panel to the next and the last one I was actually proud of.  

Oh well, this car has not seen its original color (spinnaker white btw) since 1978 so I am happy with it.  So, without further adieu, the pictures of what she looked like to what she now looks like.  Hope you enjoy it.

Jamey

What she looked like when I first got her:

4 years ago got the trunk and engine bay painted:

AND FINALLY.. AFTER 6 YEARS, SHE IS PAINTED!

prior owners makeshift patch panel.. yes that is pieces of sheetmetal riveted and sealed together

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

Looks good in white, i use to have a 74 RR back in 84, loved that car.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

Man that does look like a lot of work,.. that white looks good too..  :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

Looks good Jamie!  :cheers:

Now, if you have the time I could use some help on doing the body work and painting on my Dakota :yesnod: :D
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

That's a lot of work but you got it done bud. Good job!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

thanks everyone, i am really excited about it (if you couldnt tell  :)  )  I will be putting the engine (size yet to be determined) back in it soon and get her ready for the cruise/show circuit this year.

For what it is worth, I did all the bodywork without an english wheel, without any big body shop tools.  I did have a angle grinder, die grinder, DA sander, fiberglass resin, bondo, 110v flux core Clarke welder (el cheapo), and sheet metal (22 gauge) I bought from a local hardware shop (in varying sizes).  All the sheetmetal was shaped by hand and/or hammer.  Not that hard considering the RR's patch panels were in decently sloped areas.  The hardest part was the wheel trim area.

Make no mistake, the car is not perfect, far from it actually.  But, it is good enough to be a decent driver and get me out on the road.

Anyone can do what I just did, believe it or not.  I am now extremely comfortable with completing my rusty 73 Charger now too!  So, when that one is started, a huge amount of pictures will be oncoming also.

Thank you again, and I will be adding pictures as I get the decal kit on, interior complete, etc.

69charger2002

looks like a good driver Jamey! congrats, nice to see all hard work pay off when she finally gets painted. sweet!
:2thumbs:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Finn

You did all of that in FIVE DAYS?!?  :buff: :faint:

Hats off to you man!  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

squeakfinder

Look's good in white. At the rate your going I'd say you won't have a problem getting it on the road by summer.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Hemidog

Man, are you trying to make us look bad with all that work?   ;)

jaak

Looks great! This post is real inspirational. I have been doing the bodywork on my Charger on-and-off for the last couple of years, and its nearly ready for paint. I'm hoping to take a few days vacation in the next month or two, to finish it up and get it painted.

Keep up the good work,
Jason

Belgium R/T -68

You really gave me some selfconfidence :2thumbs: Now I'm sure I will try welding aswell.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Lennard

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

NHCharger

Wow, very impressive. Did you go base/clear or just single stage?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RD

Quote from: NHCharger on March 21, 2010, 06:41:05 PM
Wow, very impressive. Did you go base/clear or just single stage?

single stage.  i am kinda a purist when it comes to the look of my mopars in regards to body fit and finish.... now the engine and drivetrain is something different altogether.

RD

Quote from: Hemidog on March 21, 2010, 02:18:35 PM
Man, are you trying to make us look bad with all that work?   ;)

nope hehe.. guilty conscience? :D

Quote from: squeakfinder on March 21, 2010, 02:07:33 PM
Look's good in white. At the rate your going I'd say you won't have a problem getting it on the road by summer.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

i sure hope not.. i hope i have it done by the end of spring!

thanks for the kind comments fellers

firefighter3931

Nice work Jamey !  :coolgleamA:

Looking forward to the rest of the build pics  :icon_smile_big:

What are you doing for a powerplant ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 21, 2010, 09:23:39 PM
Nice work Jamey !  :coolgleamA:

Looking forward to the rest of the build pics  :icon_smile_big:

What are you doing for a powerplant ?

Ron

well, i have a lil 400 (came with one) that I am thinking of slapping a set of 516 (big valve) heads on to raise the compression, but i am contemplating something a tad larger.. just have to wait to see if my money situation pans out.  somewhat cryptic, but i am really not sure right now.

Jamey

nh_mopar_fan

I'm of the same mind as you when it comes to bodywork.

That is nice work!

:2thumbs:

Todd Wilson

No need to do P90X that week. You busted your butt with the body work! 

Todd