News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you check the fuel pump on a 99 Cavalier?

Started by sixpack_sid, March 20, 2010, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I know it's not a mopar, but I see you guys are very knowledgeable and wanted your input. I have a 99 Cavalier 4 cylAT. It's my daughter's car. When driving it today, the car stalled on her. When I tried to start it again, it would start up, but cut out right away. I can't get it to stay running. There is no check engine light on, but the battery light came on when it stalled. I checked the battery pos cable and it was pretty corroded. I cleaned it up as much as I could, but when I tried to start it, it did the same thing. Any ideas what the problem could be? I was thinking maybe I could check to see if it's getting fuel...does anyone know how to check the fuel pump?
Thanks for the help!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BigBlackDodge

I'm guessing crank or cam shaft sensor.

Take to advance auto/Pep Boys/Autozone kinda places and they'll check your code for free...........in hopes that you buy the part from them.

BBD

mikepmcs

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on March 20, 2010, 07:40:50 PM
I'm guessing crank or cam shaft sensor.

BBD

Concur.  I'm leaning towards crank sensor.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger 1

Try to start it one more time, but this time press down on the accelerator pedal just a little bit on hold it there while cranking and see if it will start and stay running while your foot keeps the accelerator pedal pressed down that same amount as when cranking.  If it will start and stay running like this then check the IAC.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Charger 1 on March 20, 2010, 08:59:54 PM
Try to start it one more time, but this time press down on the accelerator pedal just a little bit on hold it there while cranking and see if it will start and stay running while your foot keeps the accelerator pedal pressed down that same amount as when cranking.  If it will start and stay running like this then check the IAC.

It does not stay running when I step on the gas. It actually backfires when I step on the gas, then cuts out. Any other ideas?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

mikepmcs

if you wanna check the pump. make sure it's quiet, roll up the windows and turn the key to the on position(not start).  You should hear a momentary hum of the fuel pump if it's working. do that a couple times.  
still leaning towards crank sensor unless you tell me you can't hear the pump. and check all the fuses as well.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

elacruze

This is the site for you-

http://www.j-body.org/

I have a '96 Sunfire and '00 Cavalier, and I've never found a question about them with no answer on that site. I've been a member for years.

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

rt green

third string oil changer

sixpack_sid

It's a 2.2 engine. I changed the crankshaft sensor today-the car is doing the same thing. All fuses are good. Any other suggestions?

Cooter

These cars Are FAMOUS for the ECM's(PCM) going bad(Mounted behind the front bumper, behind the inner spalsh shield on the passenger side)...Although it sounds like a fuel pump problem, it is easy enough to check..While the "Hum" test will confirm the pumps running when the key is cycled, it will NOT tell you the fuel pressure...PRessure is the key on F.I. systems..Unless you have a garage that is willing to let you use their fuel pressure gauge set, you will have to take it to a shop, or simply pull the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump to see if that worked....Oh yes, the joys of working on late model stuff...
Makes replacing the fuel pump on a BB Charger sound like a breeze huh?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

vancamp

it takes all of a couple minutes to check fuel pressure if you know someone with a gauge.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: vancamp on March 21, 2010, 08:17:37 PM
it takes all of a couple minutes to check fuel pressure if you know someone with a gauge.
Very true. FInd a shop and it will tell you the PSI the pump is putting out. I beleive it has to be 30 psi or better.

rt green

sometimes you can take a rubber hammer and pound on the tank[to jiggle the pump] while you have someone turn it over. if it fires up, then you have your answer.
third string oil changer

Silver R/T

Get repair manual and it will tell you exactly how to check your fuel pump. Get a multimeter and check pump resistance, your repair manual will tell you correct readings, or maybe google it somewhere. I bet its not your pump that's the problem.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

I removed the fuel filter tonight-what a pain! :brickwall: There was a plastic covered clip holding it on and it broke away as I was trying to remove the filter. I checked the old filter when I got it off, and it's not blocked. The new filter has a plastic clip that doesn't look the same as the old broken one. Is there a retaining clip on the nylon pressurized fuel line where it pops in? The new filter clip will not fit in the hose and I don't want to booger up the hose by forcing it in.
Any help would be great! I don't want to have to buy a new fuel line, too! :ahum:

Cooter

Checking fuel filters on F.I. cars isn't like carb'd cars...The filter could infact be clogged under Pressure and you won't know it until you put it back on and under around 50PSI of fuel press....

Did you happen to break the "Slip clip" on the actual plastic fuel line?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sixpack_sid

Guess what?! I didn't want to put more time or parts into my daughter's car, so I towed it to the garage. After 3 hrs of diagnostic, fuel system, elec. system testing they found out what was wrong with it. IT WAS OUT OF GAS!!! :RantExplode: The gas guage is broken!
I had asked my daughter if there was gas in the car when I was checking it out-" Oh Yeah Dad. I filled it not even a week ago!" Today when I told her what the garage said-she goes to me "Oh yeah, the gas guage has been broken since I bought the car!" She has 3 years of college.....somebody shoot me!!  :eyes:

She owes $141.40 to the garage to have them tell her she has no gas in her car!! And they only put a gallon in for her-just enough to get to the gas station!
Thanks for all the help guys! You can't fix stupid!

Bob

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 25, 2010, 08:02:51 AM
Guess what?! I didn't want to put more time or parts into my daughter's car, so I towed it to the garage. After 3 hrs of diagnostic, fuel system, elec. system testing they found out what was wrong with it. IT WAS OUT OF GAS!!! :RantExplode: The gas guage is broken!
I had asked my daughter if there was gas in the car when I was checking it out-" Oh Yeah Dad. I filled it not even a week ago!" Today when I told her what the garage said-she goes to me "Oh yeah, the gas guage has been broken since I bought the car!" She has 3 years of college.....somebody shoot me!!  :eyes:

She owes $141.40 to the garage to have them tell her she has no gas in her car!! And they only put a gallon in for her-just enough to get to the gas station!
Thanks for all the help guys! You can't fix stupid!

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Did the same thing with my charger 5 years ago.

elacruze

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 25, 2010, 08:02:51 AM

Ouch!

I didn't even think of that, but these cars are notorious for lying below the 1/4 mark...my sunfire will go to about 1/8 then suddenly jump up to 1/4 and promptly run out of gas, still showing 1/4...

My girls have probably spent a lot more $ than I know about having somebody bring them gas besides me...
:brickwall:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.