News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You guys seen this?

Started by Hemidog, March 19, 2010, 12:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

Apparently a guy won a ebay auction for a new challenger for 29k  :o
The seller screwed up the auctions reserve (erased it), and now the dealer refuses to let the car go.

I'm only halfway through the thread....  :eek2:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/new-2009-srt8-challenger-sells-29-1k-34598/

FLG

Does he realize he is possibly doing more bad than good?  :shruggy:

Anyone else see what's going to happen? The poor guy who messed up the auction is probably going to either loose his job, maybe foot the bill, or if he dosnt get the car he will probably loose his job anyways. I'm sorry but even if I signed a contract, if I knew someone would be out a lot of money or their job I couldn't go through with it. Because if it was me on the other side of that deal id hope to have an honest guy not screw me because I made a mistake. Your not hurting big business here, your hurting an individual who (we hope) earns a decent living to feed, and shelter himself and possibly his family. What a shame.

41husk

This guy is probably losing his job anyway, unless he is related to the boss.  :rotz:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bakerhillpins

Quote from: FLG on March 19, 2010, 01:14:56 PM
Does he realize he is possibly doing more bad than good?  :shruggy:

Anyone else see what's going to happen? The poor guy who messed up the auction is probably going to either loose his job, maybe foot the bill, or if he dosnt get the car he will probably loose his job anyways. I'm sorry but even if I signed a contract, if I knew someone would be out a lot of money or their job I couldn't go through with it. Because if it was me on the other side of that deal id hope to have an honest guy not screw me because I made a mistake. Your not hurting big business here, your hurting an individual who (we hope) earns a decent living to feed, and shelter himself and possibly his family. What a shame.

As much as I understand what you are saying and sympathize with the sales guy, the guy won the car via auction for that price with a binding contract via his bid. It's his and they should be compelled to complete the sale period. After all, they wrote the contract, all the guy did was agree to it.

There are plenty of us out here who work at jobs that if done incorrectly could result in large financial losses for the companies we work for. If we goof it up then the consequences are ours to deal with. I have personally been in this situation several times in my career as an engineer. It's not always fun to be there but that's how it goes. And yes, my family would be in the poop house if I hosed up my job, so it's important that I pay attention to what I am doing.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

41husk

I agree, they wrote the contract and the guy bid, but lets put the shoe on the other foot.  If the buyer completed the deal (agreed to pay the sale price) then never contacted the dealer, or called and said, my bank will not give me the loan.  I bet that dealer would simply relist and noe take a bid from that person again.  I know I have gotten the short end of the stick both buying and selling on ebay :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bakerhillpins

No doubt you have a valid point. But in that case the dealer could pursue legal avenues against the buyer, its just they decided not to. Most likely because they would be out more in the end (as well as you can't get blood from a stone), so its not financially prudent. They just move on and cut their losses. Which is probably how you approached the situation. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, we have all been there, its just how it goes.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

oldcarnut

:scratchchin: Hmmm, wonder how many Challengers the dealership had sold to others previously with huge over invoiced prices for profit and didn't feel bad about it.  Yeah the customers didn't have to pay it but bet they still had to take it in the shorts to get one.

HITMAN 149

yea i for one wouldn't want some poor bastard LOL esp w/ a family to feed to lose his job... BUT... geeee how many times do dealerships SCREW honest hardworking people over w/ high int rates for crappppy cars & such!!!!
just my  :Twocents:
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Black Charger

I'm with oldcarnut and hittman on this one. Given the enormous markup dealers put on just about everything they sell, I seriously doubt that the money lost (the money lost is more than likely profit and not dealer cost) on this Challenger will break them. Also, the dealer DID set a reserve that was lowered towards the end of the auction and the buyer met it. The dealer knew what they were getting into and given the way dealers these days have no problem with screwing a customer, I can't say I feel sorry for a dealer when the rare customer gets one over on them.

bull

$29k is still too much IMO.

Troy

Does anyone really consider an eBay auction a binding legal agreement? Seriously? How many deadbeat bidders do you read about? If there were any grounds to stand on John Schneider wouldn't have had to sell his GL twice.

As for screwing the dealer - how do you know that dealer marks all their car up and screws their customers? Just because it's a business doesn't mean they treat people badly (although I hate to say that considering my past experiences with Dodge dealers).

It's like all those people who rush to the gas station when some poor soul sets the wrong price - none of them ever tell the guy he's selling gas for 30 cents a gallon because they're too worried about stealing all they can.

I believe in personal responsibility but I also think common sense and decency trumps that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mikepmcs

i'm a member on that forum.  I took the liberty of posting troy's link back to here saying it made it to this site. opportunity to make a shameless plug. :icon_smile_big:

2009 29k, they aren't losing that much money and it's in LA, Ca.  I say it is brilliant marketing if you ask me.  That dealer has just gotten more recognition than it ever has.  The buyer also lives in LA #justsayin.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

HITMAN 149

ok don't get me wrong... im not saying we as a society should go out & screw everyone we can...  we alll know there are enough $cumbag scam artists in the world  :flame:.... and yes as decent human beings (which as far as im concerned.. all the members here are!!!  :2thumbs:)!!! but i guess it's nice to hear of the lil man winning one against the BIG man!!! lol
:angel:  :naughty: hahahaha
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Hemidog

Apparently, the guy eventually got the challenger for 29.1k plus taxes.

Page 128.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.