News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New seats are coming along

Started by 70charginglizard, December 09, 2005, 09:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Well I've got the old skins stripped and new skins wrapped around the first bucket and the rear bench.

Lotta work.

I still have to install the new hog rings. I,m still waiting for those to show up. (Ordered some from e-bay)

Heres a pic of the new skins on a couple of the frames for ya all.

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Heres that buckling problem I told you all about earlier.

I'm going to try some additional 1 inch foam in this area and see if that helps.
70charginglizard

Charger4404spd

Hope you have a set of hog-ring pliers. Sure wished I had spent the few extra dollars when I did mine.

70charginglizard

Yep.
Just bought a set yesterday for 10 bucks
came with 2. A bent one and a straight one.

Now all I'm waiting for are the hog rigs.

Why don't they sell those at your local hardware store? I looked at a bunch of places and they all looked at me like. (why would we have something like that?????)

Arn't hog rings considered to me hardware??? What makes them so special that your local hardware stores can't carry them?

Makes me mad   :icon_smile_angry:
70charginglizard

Charger4404spd

ANy ulpolstry(sp) shop will have them.

70charginglizard

I know but there are not a lot of upholstery shops around and I would think that it would just be something the local hardware stores would keep on hand. No biggie though. I'm just bitching.
70charginglizard

jwilk01

Go to a chrysler or some other dealership.  They will have hog rings, I work at a Kia dealership and we use them all the time.

Later
Josh

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hotrod98

Are those Legendary or PUI seat covers?
I've been hearing some complaints about the PUI covers not fitting as well as the Legendary covers.
In the past, I've always order my Legendary covers through Year One, but they've started carrying the PUI covers now. I plan to start buying direct from legendary, even though you can't get those 20% off discounts like we always get from Year One.
As for hog rings, they're about 1/10 th of the cost if you buy them from an upholstery supply house.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

70charginglizard

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 09, 2005, 03:19:49 PM
Are those Legendary or PUI seat covers?
I've been hearing some complaints about the PUI covers not fitting as well as the Legendary covers.
In the past, I've always order my Legendary covers through Year One, but they've started carrying the PUI covers now. I plan to start buying direct from legendary, even though you can't get those 20% off discounts like we always get from Year One.
As for hog rings, they're about 1/10 th of the cost if you buy them from an upholstery supply house.

There from PUI
I'm not too worried. I'm sure I'll figure something out to make um fit better.
I really like the pui guy I dealt with. Very professional
So even if the seats are not a perfect fit I got a really good deal and enjoyed the quality service I got.
and there made in America. That was another big sell point for me.  ;)
70charginglizard

MGBRingo

I have upholstered in my past life as my dad had a shop when I was growing up.

The buckling is caused by the cover being too large for the seat foam.  Two things will solve the problem.  The seat foam needs to be quite a bit larger so that you have to really stretch the cover over it and then fasten it down with hog rings so it is tight and smooth.

I assume you already know this but the proper way to instrall that top cover is to turn it inside out and then roll it down over the seat making sure it lines up straight and is tight to the seat as you go.  The alignment as you roll it down over the seat will make a big difference in how it looks.  Get that straight and the fastening is a piece of cake.

hotrod98

With most mopar seats, you can't roll the covers over the foam since some of them are actually attached to the foam. I've restored numerous mopars and they are quite a bit different from fords or chevys. I agree with you though that they should be a very tight fit. We've actually had to put the covers in the clothes drier so that they would stretch over the foam and frame. The leather covers for my 71 cuda were the most fun since the leather doesn't stretch like the vinyl.
Just stay with it, you'll have them looking great in no time.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

694spdRT

Thanks for posting this. We will be doing the same thing with my brother in laws '70. I haven't experienced Mopar high back seat recovering yet so it should be fun.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Daytona R/T SE

I got my hog rings and pliers at the local farm supply store, That's what they were made for in the first place-HOGS!

70charginglizard

Well it's been a straight 6 hours tooth and nail but I finished the rears and one of the front buckets.

Man what a lot a work I feel like my hands gonna fall off

Installing hog rings suck. But the effort was worth it. The backs look great.

I already put um back in the car.

Whats ya think?
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

I don't have the first bucket in but it's completed. Here it is

I put about 1/2 inch of extra foam in it but it still has a few little buckling issues Hopefully time will fix this.

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Now for the big question of the day.
Should I changed my seat belts to black now that I've got to a two tone thing in the middles
or should I just stick with Green seat belts?

If I do keep um green I'm going to have to redye them

Anyone here know where ya have to go to get dk green seat belt dye?
70charginglizard

triple_green

Hi Kelly,

I need green seatbelts for my 69. Are they the same as your 70s.

3X

mtdouglass@att.net
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

70charginglizard

I think so but not sure. I'd ask one of our 69 buddies in here. Maybe one of them guys know.
According to my lasons restoration book it states that 68,69 and 70 seat belt hardware is the same but the seat belts they sell, well it doesn't really say anything about those because I guess they just sell a generic one that works across all models.

How do you like the back seats? Nice hu?
70charginglizard

694spdRT

Quote from: triple_green on December 10, 2005, 01:05:53 PM
Hi Kelly,

I need green seatbelts for my 69. Are they the same as your 70s.

3X

mtdouglass@att.net

I know the shoudler harnesses changed in 1970. I can't remember on the rest though.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

70charginglizard

We all,
I didn't manage much today because my arms are soooooo tired from yesterday. But I did manage to get the seat tracks back on the driver side bucket and get it back into the car so you all can get an idea how things will look when complete.
Here are the pics.

One more seat to go and i'll be done.  ;)
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

inhrmswy

DAMMNNN!!!!!   :P :P
Those look so freakin good it should be illegal.   When I get to that point with mine I will be comming to you for help, thats for sure.
Great job Kelly

Big Lebowski

So dude, I thought you were into the A-1 canvas deal, what's the difference between PUI, Legendary, and A-1 canvas?
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."