News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley or just leave the Edelbrock

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, March 16, 2010, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I have 68 383 HP 4bbl with a 1406 Edelbrock and it runs ok but leans out while winding it up in low gear. Once the vacuum secondaries come in it runs better. I have a 600 Holley with vacuum secondaries and also what I am guessing is a 750 dual feed Holley with vacuum secondaries. I was thinking about putting the larger carb on to see the results. I am running stock everything. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

femtnmax

Unless the carb has a known history, usually you have to tune them to match the engine build.  Sounds like the Edy carb needs tuning...may include jet change, metering rods, etc.   The Holley many need tuning too.
Which is better...thats like Mopar vs Chevy vs Ford...lots of heated opinions.
Phil

71383bee

I would be warry of overcarbing.  

I run a 650 mighty demon and the smaller carb gives excellent throttle snap!  It is a bit soggy on the top end, but it is a street car so it is not really too noticeable.

Ooops I just noticed a typo...that's the top end...I realize with a bigger carb there is a bit more top end I can gain.  That's what I meant to say anyways. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 71383bee on March 17, 2010, 12:17:26 AM
I would be warry of overcarbing. 

I run a 650 mighty demon and the smaller carb gives excellent throttle snap!  It is a bit soggy on bottom end, but it is a street car so it is not really too noticeable.

yea that is what I was thinking too. I dont want to over carb.

I think I am having a drip down with the Eddy. Probably needs some lovin.

Cooter

Are you sure it's the carb "Leaning out"? Or....Could it be the Ignition, or something else like Stock Valve springs floating? How high are you winding that 383?...

Agreed, love the Holley's...However, I think you may have other problems..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

The Edelbrock carbs are notorious for going lean at mid throttle and often need some tuning.  :P

Personally, i'd try that 600 Holley on for size and see how the motor responds.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

frederick

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 17, 2010, 02:01:44 PM
The Edelbrock carbs are notorious for going lean at mid throttle and often need some tuning.  :P
How do you tune that out?
Installing a metering rod with a richer power stage, or do you have to modify part of the power stage by sanding the rod at the appropriate position?

Frederick

Sixt8Chrgr

When Ron speaks people listen. For those of you too young that is a spoof off of an old EF Hutton financial commercial.

Ron the Holley 600 that I have is a manual choke carb. Can I put an electric choke on the manual choke carb or is the choke not transferrable, alternatively I just have to run no choke. I am not goint to rig up a manual choke cable.

71383bee

I don't run a choke.  Its not a big del really.  If she's been sitting I got to feather it a bit, but after about a minute she's fine.  If I have been running her normal I can just start it up and drive.  The key is to sty out of it tell the car is really warmed up which is just good practice anyways. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

femtnmax

Quote from: frederick on March 17, 2010, 02:47:15 PM
Installing a metering rod with a richer power stage, or do you have to modify part of the power stage by sanding the rod at the appropriate position?Frederick
Mid throttle won't be on the power stage yet, but sanding/tapering the metering rods may work.  Buy a second set of rods and experiment.  Also try different metering rod springs.  A heavier spring will open (lift) the rods quicker against engine vacuum, thus richen quicker.
The only way I got my AVS tuned properly for my altitude was to use the cheapy Edel O2 sensor, about $100 from summit.  Was able to tune very well.  Had to widen the transfer slots to cure on off-idle lean condition, so the sensor was precise enough to do even that.
Phil

firefighter3931

Quote from: frederick on March 17, 2010, 02:47:15 PM

I replace the edelbrock carb with a Holley  ;)

The Edelbrock "Thunder" series carbs are much better in terms of the fuel curve as compared to the "performer". I would use a 600 performer on perhaps a mild 318 type street build but it's too small for a 383, inmo. By contrast, a 600 holley can work fine on a mild Big Block build as long as the cam is not too radical.

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 17, 2010, 07:44:08 PM

Ron the Holley 600 that I have is a manual choke carb. Can I put an electric choke on the manual choke carb or is the choke not transferrable, alternatively I just have to run no choke. I am not goint to rig up a manual choke cable.

No need for a choke....i never run one. Infact i allways remove the choke butterfly to improve flow on the primaries. It just takes a minute of feathering the throttle and then it'll settle into a nice even idle. Tuning also plays a big part in low speed manners and initial startup. The ignition curve and proper base timing make a huge difference.  ;)

Quote from: 71383bee on March 17, 2010, 07:56:55 PM
I don't run a choke.  Its not a big del really.  If she's been sitting I got to feather it a bit, but after about a minute she's fine.  If I have been running her normal I can just start it up and drive.  The key is to sty out of it tell the car is really warmed up which is just good practice anyways. 

Exactly...that's how i do it, even in below freezing temps.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sixt8Chrgr

Ok I will put the Holley on and go from there.

mjwebb

I have a 1406 on my 383, richened the metering rods and it purrs and runs/idles great

Brass

Quote:
"No need for a choke....i never run one."

Just curious - why is everyone so dead-set against using chokes?  I thought there was no harm in using them - only the advantage during a cold start-up.  Is that not so?  I'm using one for convenience, but now I'm wondering if its at a cost to HP.

oldschool

Quote from: Brass on March 18, 2010, 11:39:23 AM
Quote:

Just curious - why is everyone so dead-set against using chokes?  I thought there was no harm in using them - only the advantage during a cold start-up.  Is that not so?  I'm using one for convenience, but now I'm wondering if its at a cost to HP.
the choke airhorn and flap hurt airflow performance.you only need it a very short time. most of the time,you dont need it.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Cooter

Quote from: Brass on March 18, 2010, 11:39:23 AM
Quote:

Just curious - why is everyone so dead-set against using chokes?  I thought there was no harm in using them - only the advantage during a cold start-up.  Is that not so?  I'm using one for convenience, but now I'm wondering if its at a cost to HP.

Chokes are for Exactly what you stated..Convenience...I never run a choke on any Musclecar..And yes, the choke flap does cost a few CFM's on the primaries...Something like 10- 20 CFM or so...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brass

Sorry to have hi-jacked this thread but that's good to know.  I guess I'll eventually kick the choke to the curb and upgrade to the Proform mainbody.

ACUDANUT

Big blocks don't need them, But I always found that small blocks do. :shruggy:

flyinlow

So if your big block with a large intake plenum ,no choke,no intake heat and no heated air snorkle starts fine in 30* weather, just how rich is your holley jetted?

12:1 ? 11:1  ?  at part throtle and idle.

ACUDANUT

Good question.  I just use a stock Holley 750 on Big blocks.  Never drive them if it's 30 degree's out. I am a fair weather guy.

Sixt8Chrgr

I put the 600 CFM 3310 Holley on my stock 383 and it runs great. I still need to do a final adjust on the air fuel mixture but it is running good. I dont have the kickdown linkage hooked up yet. The eddy lever would not hook up to the Holley, but was able to hook up the accelerator cable. I still need a few more fasteners to get all hooked up right.

Is there a certain way to adjust the kickdown linkage? I have heard that you really need to get this adjust right or you can screw up your transmission? Anybody have any comments about this?

Thanks,

Cooter

Yes, you need to make sure it is adjusted correctly as that is what supplies the correct line pressure to the trans when at WOT, cruise, mid throttle, etc...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on March 21, 2010, 07:30:13 PM
I put the 600 CFM 3310 Holley on my stock 383 and it runs great. I still need to do a final adjust on the air fuel mixture but it is running good. I dont have the kickdown linkage hooked up yet. The eddy lever would not hook up to the Holley, but was able to hook up the accelerator cable. I still need a few more fasteners to get all hooked up right.

Is there a certain way to adjust the kickdown linkage? I have heard that you really need to get this adjust right or you can screw up your transmission? Anybody have any comments about this?

Thanks,

The 3310 is a 750 cfm carb.....is that the one you used or was it the 600cfm unit. just wondering ?

Glad to hear it's running better, not surprised to hear that  ;)

For the throttle ; you need the correct Mopar adapter to maintain proper pedal ratio. The part number is Holley # 20-7  :yesnod:

Once you have that you can connect the kickdown linkage and make adjustments accordingly. Don't drive without the kickdown properly adjusted or you will burn up the transmission.

Ron