News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone with 2.76's or higher gears in their wingcar?

Started by hemi68charger, March 16, 2010, 01:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Anyone with 2.76's or higher gears in their wingcar? likes, dislikes, etc........

Once I get this C500 trade done, I'm thinking of swapping out the 4.10's in the Dana my Daytona has in favor of a higher gear...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

3:54 will do you great .    My 69 charger i'm building a daytona clone out of has the 2:76 great gas milage but not alot of go off the line .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on March 16, 2010, 01:32:09 PM
    3:54 will do you great .    My 69 charger i'm building a daytona clone out of has the 2:76 great gas milage but not alot of go off the line .

The 3.54's I had in Dana were, like you stated, a good gear.. In this day and age, if she's too sluggish, then no go, but if she still has enough torque to get off the line, great. I personally do more fun driving on the highway than from light to light racing.... Ultimately, I'll probably end up with 3.54's and 275's on 15's in the rear.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

chargerboy69

I am not fortunate enough to own such a car, however I did have them in my 69 a couple years back.  They are not much fun driving through town, stop light to stop light stinks.  However, I am guessing I could have seen 140 on the highway.  I dumped them and went with a 3.55 gear.  Much better through town, but quite a bit of difference at highway rpm's.  If you do a lot of highway driving they are for you.  Just bought a set of 3.91's, we will see how that goes.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

pettybird

we had 2.76's in the B5 car and it was great on the highway.  we have 3.23's now.  I wouldn't go with anything else. 

the extra grunt of the deeper gears simply isn't worth the RPM penalty on the highway.  my bird runs 14.30's with nothing but a hemi grind cam, and my friend's daytona does 13.70's with better tires, the hemi cam, a 650 holley and a mopar aluminum intake.  we've tried different gears for the hell of it and saw nearly no difference in times. 

Marty has 3.55's, and they'll stay, as the newer, smaller motor won't have any trouble with the revs. 

moparstuart

my 3:55 in the bird and 3:54 in the 69 runner are just fine for me on the hwy .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

If you're going to keep the Dana60 in place, AFAIK you'll have to stick with 3.54's or numerically higher gearing.  Last I heard, they did not make any ring gears larger than that due to the size limitation of the housing itself.

Obviously, 8-3/4" housings/units don't have the same size restrictions.

I could be wrong on this, as it's been a few years since I did some exploration on the subject.

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2010, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 16, 2010, 01:32:09 PM

The 3.54's I had in Dana were, like you stated, a good gear.. In this day and age, if she's too sluggish, then no go, but if she still has enough torque to get off the line, great. I personally do more fun driving on the highway than from light to light racing.... Ultimately, I'll probably end up with 3.54's and 275's on 15's in the rear.

I have a 3.55 gear with 275/60-15 tires on my Daytona and love every minute of it, I had the same set up in my '70 SuperBee.  My 'bird had 3.54's with the same size tire and it worked great there too.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

62 Max

Quote from: hemigeno on March 16, 2010, 03:53:11 PM
If you're going to keep the Dana60 in place, AFAIK you'll have to stick with 3.54's or numerically higher gearing.  Last I heard, they did not make any ring gears larger than that due to the size limitation of the housing itself.

Obviously, 8-3/4" housings/units don't have the same size restrictions.

I could be wrong on this, as it's been a few years since I did some exploration on the subject.

Chevrolet had a 3.31 Dana 60 gear set availiable for mid 70's 1/2 ton pickups.May still be availiable through a GM dealer.The Dana 60 I put in my 62 Savoy wagon also has 3.31's

A383Wing

I got 2.76's in the purple car...that's what's gonna stay in it....cruises down the freeway just fine....best MPG I have got is 24.5......usually average around 18-20

I also have a set of 3.31's for an 8-3/4....pinion bearing is bad....

Mike DC

At one point I know there existed a "Dana 61" rear diff casting that was built just to cram a higher gearset into a Dana 60.  That might be the 3.31 that was referred to, I'm not sure. 

62 Max

The Dana 61 was used by Ford in mid 70's,3.00 and 3.07 were availiable.Beside the 3.31,3.73 were also aviliable in the Dana 60.

oldcarnut

Has anyone kept the lower gears for city but went with the od tranny setup for the hwy trips? Probably would apply to more of the clones but I wondered how it worked out if anyone has done it.

A383Wing

Friend of mine had the OD trans in his 'Bird for trip to Talladega in '99...he had the 3.54 Dana and used the OD for freeway driving. Has since removed it in the last year or so to restore the 'Bird

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on March 17, 2010, 08:58:52 AM
Friend of mine had the OD trans in his 'Bird for trip to Talladega in '99...he had the 3.54 Dana and used the OD for freeway driving. Has since removed it in the last year or so to restore the 'Bird

Would love to have an OD, but I'm sure my money would go further if I just changed out the 4.10's.......

Thanks everyone for your input,
Troy
Troy

Khyron

i have 3.91's in my charger now, 275 55 R 15's in the back.... they suck on the highway :(

Gonna go with 3.55's or 3.23's

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

A383Wing

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 17, 2010, 09:09:37 AM

Would love to have an OD, but I'm sure my money would go further if I just changed out the 4.10's.......

Thanks everyone for your input,
Troy

Troy...only issue with the OD trans is he could not get the 18 spline clutch disc that was stock for the Hemi....he had to get the 23 spline disc....I think he said his final ratio was around 2.6 or so

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 62 Max on March 17, 2010, 07:20:09 AM
The Dana 61 was used by Ford in mid 70's,3.00 and 3.07 were availiable.Beside the 3.31,3.73 were also aviliable in the Dana 60.

I always thought a 3.7 gear would be about perfect for me.

SBBob

I used a stock 833 OD out of a mid 80's Dodge P/U truck.  Basically a 3 speed with 4 an O/D.  On the trip to Talledega the 3.54 Dana was reduced to a final 2.56 ratio.  Had to change to a 10 1/2" 23 spline clutch.  Simply invert the 3/4 leaver and you are done.  Mine was an alum case, so really never got on it to hard, but was only going to ues it for the trip - I LOVED it so much and I drive the car alot it stayed in until I resto the car in 2007.  Got as high as 19 MPG on the trip and the top end is endless.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

C5X DAYTONA

Go to YOUTUBE.  Type in 1969 Dodge Daytona Road Race.   The Daytona with the Black Stripe (my car) has 2.76 and bone stock motor and stock exhaust.  The Daytona with the white stripe is Joe's from Best Of Show Automotive and has 3.55s and a cam and mufflers.    You be the judge but remember.  The car with 3.55s even got the jump..   
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2010, 01:22:34 PM
Anyone with 2.76's or higher gears in their wingcar? likes, dislikes, etc........

Once I get this C500 trade done, I'm thinking of swapping out the 4.10's in the Dana my Daytona has in favor of a higher gear...

Troy
2.76 with a lock up converter in one of our Daytona's  550hp and 16mpg.    14mpg towing a empty flat bed to Talladega in October.     3.23s in my other Daytona with a gear vendor overdrive.  That car has a 500 inch motor with ac and gets 15 mpg and has 610hp.       Also did a 3.81sec 0-60mph and 7.95sec in the 1/8 mile with that motor in my other Daytona with a 4 speed and 3.23s last summer.   If you are going to travel and distance and hate being in the slow lane than 2.76 is the (only) way to go.     
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.