News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The ^ < v game...who wants to play? It's addicting, so watch out....

Started by ChargerBill, December 09, 2005, 05:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

^ still doesn't get Strats comment. HA HA.

< doesn't have a clue as to what strats comment was about

v hopefully will be able to explain exactly how much pure energy it would take to heat a city the size of Boston for an entire winter. How much mass would it take.

Old Moparz

^   You need to contact Cuda Ken for translating Strats posts & hope he uses the spell checker when he answers.

<   Heating Boston: Heat (denoted by Q) is thermal energy: the energy of a system of particles randomly colliding with each other and objects in their environment. It has dimensions of energy, but it is NOT a state variable: unlike temperature, its value does depend on the past history of the system. For instance, a system can be isothermally expanded by adding heat, or its pressure can be slowly decreased without the addition of heat. Yet the final pressure, temperature and volume are the same.

The temperature of a substance changes as heat energy is added to it. The heat capacity (denoted by C) of an object is the ratio of change in heat to change in temperature, and the specific heat (denoted by c) of a substance is the heat capacity per unit mass. We therefore have

DQ = m c DT.
Some useful specfic heats are:
water 4.186 kJ / kg K
ice 2.135
water vapor 2.009
human tissue 3.558
air .963

Ice and water vapor (steam) are alternate phases of water. For a given substance at a given pressure, phase changes occur at well-defined temperatures. For water at standard atmospheric pressure (at the surface of the earth), those are 273.15K and 373.15K: 0 C and 100C, the freezing and boiling points, which define the Celsius degree, and therefore the Kelvin. For a given substance, the heat change per unit mass required for a phase transition is called the
latent heat of fusion Lf, in the case of heat lost while changing from a liquid to a solid, or the
latent heat of vaporization Lv, in the case of heat gained while changing from liquid to vapor.

This means that
DQ = m L.
The latent heat of fusion of water is 335 kJ / kg, and the latent heat of vaporization of water is 2260 kJ / kg at 100 C. Note that the heat added or lost during a phase change does not affect the temperature during the phase change. Icewater is at 0 C until all of the water has frozen; when melting, it is at 0 C until all of the ice has melted. Likewise, water is at 100 C until all the water has boiled away; if the water / steam system is in a closed environment, the steam is at 100 C until the water has all evaporated. Hence we can graph the temperature vs heat of a substance:

The horizontal portions of the graph represent the phase changes. Note that the horizontal scale is measured in calories; 1 calorie = 4.186 J.

Body Temperature Regulation
Since you are a warm-blooded animal, your body attempts to keep its internal temperature constant. Human life is only compatible with a narrow range of temperatures:

Temperature (C) Symptoms
28 muscle failure
30 loss of body temp. control
33 loss of consciousness
37 normal
42 central nervous system breakdown
44 death by irreversible protein damage

Your body is constantly generating heat, and so it must take active steps to lose that heat. The following table illustrates the power cost of various common activities. The units indicate that the cost depends on an area: the surface area of your body. This is due to the fact that metabolic processes scale with area rather than mass or volume. This in turn is because your metabolism functions by maintaining concentration gradients across cell membranes, which are inherently two dimensional structures.
Activity Energy Cost (kJ / m2 hr)
sleeping 150
sitting 210
working at a desk 250
standing 350
washing or dressing 420
walking (3 mph) 590
bicycling 1050
swimming 1465
running 2510

Approximately 80 % of the energy used by your body ends up as waste heat. The other side of this coin occurs during cold weather: your body must then work to stay warm. The mechanisms which either are used by your body or affect its function are conduction, convection, radiation and evaporation.
Conduction is the flow of heat energy from regions of warmer temperature to regions of cooler temperature. As we can see from the following equation for the heat current, or rate of heat flow:

DQ / Dt = k A DT / Dx,
conduction is analogous to electric current, fluid flow and diffusion. The thermal conductivity k corresponds to the electrical conductivity or the diffusion constant, and the temperature difference corresponds to the potential or concentration difference. Note that in the electrical analogy, Dx / k A corresponds to resistance; this is the common R-value of insulation. When multiple layers of insulating material are used (ie., in clothing), the total resistance to heat flow is just the sum of the individual resistances. Some useful conductivities are given in the following table:
substance conductivity in W m / m2 K
air (0 C) .024
He / O2 mixture for diving .138
H2 O (20 C) .59
Cu 414
human tissue .21
fur or down .0042

We write the units here in a redundant form in order to emphasize the fact that thermal conduction is a function of both a surface area and a gradient.
Assume that you walk at 2.2 mph on flat ground. At this speed, an average person burns 14 kJ / min, 80% of which must be lost in heat . Consider first the conduction of heat from the center of your body to the skin. Assuming that the average area (inside the body) through which heat is conducted is 1 square meter and that the average distance the heat must travel is 10 cm, the temperature difference necessary to maintain normal body temperture is 89 K! Clearly your body cannot rely on conduction for this service.

Now consider the conduction of heat away from the skin. Due to the nature of the surface of your body, it has a private climate about 3 mm deep through which the temperature changes from skin temperature to the surrounding air temperature. At room temperature (20 C), a person with 2 square meters of body surface area must (when nude) have a skin temperature of almost 32 C to lose this much heat when the air is still.

Convection is the movement of heat by currents in the medium, ie., the wind. The convection current in Watts is

DQ / Dt = 14.5 A v1/2 DT.
when A is measured in m2 and v is the (wind) speed in m / s. This equation is an empirical equation: it is a fit to experimental data. Hence the units of the coefficient reflect the units that the measurements were made in: in this case, 14.5 W / m2 (m / s)1/2 K.
Still air actually has a convection velocity of .23 m / s (called natural convection) because warm air rises. For the body in air, convection is in series with private climate conduction. Within the body, blood convection is used to move the heat from the inside of your body to your skin. Here the area is the surface area of the capillary bed, which for the average adult male is about 160 square meters. Using the skin temperature and heat current above, we see that the blood flow through the capillaries must be around .3 mm / s in order to move the excess heat from the 37 C interior to the surface. Since the specific heat of blood is larger than that of air, we expect the convection coefficient to be larger for blood; this coupled with the fact that capillary velocities are somewhat larger than this means that internal convection through the circulatory system is usually sufficient to keep the temperature essentially constant throughout the interior of the body.

Radiation is the emission of electromagnetic energy, which your body does in the infrared wavelengths. The radiation current (in Watts) is

DQ / Dt = e s A (Tb4 - Ta4),
where e is the emissivity, a dimensionless radiation "effectiveness", which is of order 1 for human skin. s is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67 * 10- 8 W / m2 K4). The temperature must be in K due to the fourth power dependence; "b" denotes body, while "a" denotes ambient, or air, temperature. With the skin and ambient temperatures in the above scenario, your body's radiation power output is about 146 W.
Evaporation is of course simply the change of phase of sweat. The rate of sweat is then related to the thermal current by the latent heat of vaporization:

We can summarize the various modes of heat transfer with the following diagram:

In this applet, you will be given the exposed surface area and temperature of a human body, the ambient temperature, conductivity and wind velocity, and the rate of water loss through sweat and exhalation. From these you will compute the total thermal current as the body maintains its internal temperature. Use the private climate depth for conduction currents. Note that a negative current implies that the body is absorbing heat from the surroundings.

Summarization:
Based on the above info, it should be a lot.

V   Hates anything with math.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChargerBill

^ has WAAAAY too much time on his hands

< can warm his seat by ripping a good one

v wants to smell it
Life is a highway...

69_500

^ finds the odor compelling, and doesn't mind how it lingers

< finds it hard to resist cracking a smile when a fart is just plain nasty, and he has control of all the power windows in a car

v is too ethical to make someone suffer through such a horendous occasion

Old Moparz

^  You've never been in my car after a good Mexican dinner & some beers then.

<  Would be totally bored at work if it weren't for the internet, it's a slow week.

V  Wants to move to Boston with Charger Bill to split heating expenses & save.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

andy74

^may have the right idea,after the holidays we can talk

<is getting ready to drink himself stupid for the holidays

v should think about it,we can use another roomate

ChargerBill

^ probably is the fridge raiding, up 'til 3 a.m. partying type of roomie  ;)

< could afford to save some money on heating...propane is at frigging $3.07 a gallon here!!

v doesn't have any idea what to say next
Life is a highway...

Khyron

^ is right. I had to think

< hates to think

V never gave thinking a try

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Old Moparz

^  Isn't aware of the free website called www.no_thought_required.com that lets you copy & paste answers to avoid thinking.

<  Had a good vacation last week where I did virtually nothing, & met Tony Levin on New Year's eve.   http://www.tonylevin.com/

V  Has been spending less time on the Charger, & more time on re-creating a scale model of the White House made from dried apricots, condom wrappers & Liquid Nails adhesive.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Telvis

^ Likes exploring his feminine side.

< Likes exploring all sides of most feminines

V Wishes they could be explored like a feminine

Old Moparz

^   Has been buying waaaaay too many things on ebay & hasn't simplified himself yet. It's so out of control that he started bidding & buying stuff he had listed for sale & didn't realize it until he signed for the 3rd item for the UPS guy.

<   If my feminine side needs any exploring, I'm all for it. But it'll have to be by a pack of horny lesbians that are just as hot as Angelina Jolie.

V   Once ate too many burritos before clothes shopping & had to fart while trying on new pants. Much to their surprise, it wasn't a fart so they had to buy the pants with designer skid marks. Funny part is that the sales clerk asked them for their phone number.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

MOPARHOUND!

^   Clueless that brevity is the soul of wit

<   Running at full sprint, like after swatting a bee's nest because.....

v    ....... thinks 1st gen's are cool.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Charger_Fan

^ I'd take one...for the right price. :D

< Can't believe he actually read about a third of Moparz' "heating Boston" lick-n-stick.

V Overdosed on bean & cheese burritos for lunch...and will probably end up sleeping on the couch tonight.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

andy74

^has a bean and cheese buritto in each hand,and types with his toes
<actually had a hot ham and cheese sub,mmmmmmmmmmmm
v will be hungry now

Brock Samson

^    Can't sell Four Wheel Drive Magnums...    :pity:

<    Dosen't think Gold is Bronze...    :icon_smile_big:

V     Is about to hit the Post button...    :icon_smile_shy:

captnsim

^ watches to many cartoons  :yesnod:

< stays up too late reading old threads  ::)

v is wondering what the hell this is all about  :scratchchin:  

moparsons

^ found this post cause he missed ChargerBill

<  is having a slow night at work....hence posting on this amusing old thread.

v  is about to make fun of me and  ^  for still playing this game.

FLG

^This guys a little dumb for playing this game

<Was dumb enough to read through the first 2 pages only to realize its a old thread and quite long

v Is debating about who got hit with more balls, Rock Hudson or Yogi Berra??

captnsim

^ didn't read far enough to get a turn at the doll  :pity:

< missed the doll my first time too  :slap:

v How was the doll after this long?  :eek2:  :rofl:

moparsons

^ read way too far to get to the doll

< went back to see what the doll thing was about

V  is going to say something about the doll

Manfred318

^ still thinking about Rock Hudsons balls

< completely missed out on the doll thing

v will probably go back and read about the doll

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Mr.Woolery

^  Is completely wrong about me going back to read about the doll.  I won't

<  Doesn't care about dolls.

v   Hopefully won't bring up anything about a doll either.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

moparstuart

^ must really hate dolls ?

<  I really like the fox show doll house , hate that they cancelled it

\/   this person still plays with dolls
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

gers1968rt

^  needs a new crystal ball cuz he's wrong.

<  looked for the doll parts but won't have time before supper is served.

v  after being married for as long as he has, he has replaced food for sex and now he can't even get in his own pants.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

jb666

^ must have been talking about Chuck, cause I just dropped 60 lbs and never felt better. Plus I lowered my Cholesterol.

< needs a life cause he's sitting here on Thanksgiving participating in such shananigans.

v needs to advise a mod to lock this topic and go enjoy the day.