News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will my '04 cummins tow this?

Started by RECHRGD, March 16, 2010, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm looking at a 32', bumper pull car trailer with living quarters.  My truck is a 4X4 w/short bed, quad cab.  I don't want to have to go to a dually just to get this trailer.  Anybody ever pull anything like this with a short bed?  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

DC_1

Pulling, no problem, stopping on the other hand may be a little marginal. I know the trailer most likely has trailer breaks but my experience is the heavier the tow vehicle the more comfortable you feel with a heavy trailer behind you. I dont know about you, but I prefer to feel like I am towing something down the highway, not being pushed by something down the highway. Whats the weight you plan on for the trailer loaded? Is it the stock trailer hitch?

firefighter3931

Bob, the truck will have plenty of power to pull that load, no sweat.  :2thumbs:

You'll want a load leveler hitch with sway control to keep it stable at speed. The key is balancing the load in the trailer so you have enough tongue weight.  :yesnod:

A triaxle 32 footer would be my choice.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Thanks for the replies guys.  It's a 2005 and only has the dual axles.  I'm not sure of the weight yet, but I'll find out.  It sure won't be light by the time I shoe horn the 4000lb. Charger in there.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 16, 2010, 09:28:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.  It's a 2005 and only has the dual axles.  I'm not sure of the weight yet, but I'll find out.  It sure won't be light by the time I shoe horn the 4000lb. Charger in there.  Bob

Bob, if it's a tandem axle unit check the GVW rating to make sure you have enough capacity to carry all your goodies inside. The wheels should be 16in with a load range E tire to safely carry that load. I'm sure it will have 5200lb axles at least. Take the GVW and subtract the trailer weight to determine the maximum cargo capacity.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Bob, just some additional information :

There are 2 axle weight ratings : 5200lb & 7000lb

16in 235/80 tires :

load range D is 3000lb/tire = 12000lb total weight

load range E is 3500lb/tire = 14000lb total weight

The best combination would be 7000lb torsion axles with a 16in load range E tire. It allways better to have increased capacity.  :yesnod:

FWIW, i upgraded the tires on my 26ft enclosed from load range D to load range E and noticed a huge difference in stability and handleing. The sidewall on the E rated ST trailer tire was much stiffer.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ps. There should be a small plate/sticker on the front of the trailer detailing all the specifications : GVW, axle ratings etc...

RECHRGD

Good info again Ron!! Thanks.  I've got a call into the guy that's selling it.  It's about 250 miles from here.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

elacruze

You have a couple things to pay special attention to; short bed and 4x4.

Wheelbase equals stability. That's one reason long haulers use a 4 door duallie.
Tires are even more important-duallies don't have 4 only for the additional load capacity, but because you have twice as many sidewalls to keep the trailer tracking straight.
If you have tires which are larger than stock, you're affecting stability. Also if you have tires that are softer than stock, taller sidewalls etc. then you must be much more careful towing, especially with big trailers with heavy tongue weights. By nature, 4x4's are taller and less stable too.
You're not doing something nobody's done before; I towed 10,000 lbs. on a bumper hitch 1400 miles and through the Ozarks behind an '85 4x4 GMC with 37" tires and a detroit locker in the rear. I survived, but the pucker factor put about 5 years on me in 3 days.

As a matter of course, I recommend that all big trailer buyers have the highest-capacity hitch they can get, and find an RV dealer who knows how to set it up properly, and has a hitch scale to know EXACTLY what your loaded and unloaded tongue weight is. Your vehicle will have both gross towed weight and max. tongue weight ratings. Getting the hitch and tongue weight right is the difference between having a great weekend and having the trailer push your truck into the median on its doors.
Don't cheap out on the brake controller, spend the money and get a good electronic one.
Preparation and knowledge are critical.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

chargerboy69

Since starting my own RV business last summer I have hauled just about everything there is out there.  I pull everything from 40ft. fifth wheels to pop-ups.

Your Cummins will pull about anything just fine.  The short wheelbase however will make the ride less than enjoyable.  Even with weight distribution bars you will have quite a bit of bounce.  It would also be a plus if your truck is a 3500.  If it is a 2500 or worse yet a 1500 you will be squatting even with weight distribution bars and the ride will suck.  Some may recommend a sway bar, but I would not waste my money on one.  I run down the interstate at 70 without one as my trailers do not sway a bit.  I used to run one because it was always recommended by my dad.  Some people seem they can not move their trailer down the block without one.  But to be honest, I can not tell a difference with or without one.  Good luck.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Silver R/T

long beds are better for towing, better balanced overall
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RECHRGD

Well, I just got through checking it out.  It has 15" wheels with D rated tires that came with it.  The axles are rated at 7,000 lb. rated.  He pulls it with the same truck that I have (2500 with stock wheels and tires) with no problems, but of course he wants to sell the thing.  All in all, it's in really good shape.  He has used it for hauling snowmobiles in the winter over snow and ice and survived.  It will come with the adjustable hitch and sway bar, but he has never needed to put on the sway bar.  He says that it tows smooth and straight, of course.  I'm leaning toward getting it and will call him from the hotel in the morning.  The price is right and if need be the wheels and tires can be changed.  As far as the truck goes, it only has 67K miles on it and I was hoping to keep it for many more years.  It's a nice truck, but if it turns out to be less than capable for this duty then, well maybe, something different may be in the future.  I'm just on the fence here.  I know I could sell it a couple of years down the line for what he's asking.  what do you guys think.  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

DC_1

If the price is right - buy it! Obviously you want it since you made the trip to look at it. You can always sell it. I still think using the 2500 is possible but for piece of mind and feeling comfortable and confident you may find yourself sizing the truck up one. 

I use to haul this trailer with a single axle and it worked ok but it sure felt more stable and comfortable when I went to a dually.

Todd Wilson

It sounds like it may be a tad much for a 2500.  I'd want dual rear wheels for something that big. You ever blow out a rear tire you are gonna have a big problem real fast.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 16, 2010, 04:25:15 PM

Whats the long or short bed got to do with it?   Regular cab long bed is roughly the same length as a quad cab short bed.

Todd

bull

You'll be fine if you don't crash. :shruggy:

Whenever I read threads like this I think of the old days when people just did things without wondering if it was safe. It's a wonder so many of us survived trips across the US in the back of the station wagon with no seat belts and dad puffing away on cigarettes. I saw some footage of Model T Fords the other day driving across the country before there were any real roads or gas stations. They were just bouncing around in ruts and going down drop-offs most people would be afraid to try in a modern 4X4. We're a bunch of pansies now. I think those UFC guys are about 1/4 as tough as 17-year-old logger from the 1920s.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 16, 2010, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on March 16, 2010, 04:25:15 PM

Whats the long or short bed got to do with it?   Regular cab long bed is roughly the same length as a quad cab short bed.

Todd

I Agree !! :brickwall:

elacruze

Frankly, that's a lot of trailer on a marginal tow vehicle. Certainly you have enough drivetrain, but vehicle configuration is not preferred. Everybody does it, and most never know the difference. Let your steelies be your guide. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new truck before trying out my current one and comfort zone; I'd act against my own advice and use what I have.  :cheers:

Playing devil's advocate, if I screw up and cause you to ding me on the freeway (or in the gas station parking lot) I'm going to have the officer check your weight ratings and if you're not compliant, the fault will be yours even if I caused the problem.
Caveat Emptor.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Troy

I saw a guy in an 80s Mustang this morning with a tow dolly on the back.

I probably wouldn't try to pull that trailer with your truck. I have a 4x4 diesel dually and a Tahoe. The Tahoe certainly wouldn't have been comfortable pulling my old enclosed trailer (22' but extended height and heavy) and I would have been a nervous wreck driving it. I've never managed to make the dually work hard no matter what I pulled but you definitely knew that big trailer was back there. With my new trailer (open, 1550 pounds, brakes on both axles) and a partially stripped Charger on it the Tahoe feels a bit squirrelly without the weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. I've never tried pulling with a 2500 (gas or diesel) but I think wheelbase and brakes are going to be the deciding factors.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RECHRGD

Thanks for all the responces guys.  I've decided to pass on this and just get a straight car hauler.  Maybe something around 24 feet.  As much as I like the idea of the things you could do with that rig, I doubt if I would really utilize it that much and when I just wanted to haul the car somewhere it would have been much more than me or my truck needed.  Thanks again,  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

firefighter3931

Same question on another forum with different opinions.  ;)

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5867717&an=0&page=3#Post5867717

One guy in this thread pulls a 15k stacker tag with his '05 2500 4x4 & no problems  :2thumbs:

With the trailer brakes adjusted properly the truck doesn't need to help with stop duties. If your truck is helping stop the trailer...the trailer brakes/controller are not adjusted properly. When the trailer brakes are setup correctly the truck will be pulled down slightly as the trailer brakes engage. That's how mine are adjusted, fwiw.  :Twocents:

If you really like the trailer go and buy it and install a set of 16in load range "E" ST rated wheels/tires. I wish mine had a small living quarter area.  ;)

Good post and pics Bull....the things that used to go on w/o incident....now, we are getting spoiled in our old age !  :lol:

Ron

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

RECHRGD

I based my decision mostly on my usage more than the truck handling the load (but a dually would be nice).  I also didn't have a good place to park it without blocking access to an area that I need access to.  Hell come to think of it, I may have had a rough time getting it turned around just to park it.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Troy

Ha! I forgot that part. When I had my enclosed I couldn't park it in the driveway because it wouldn't clear the power lines (our house is below street level so the nose of the trailer goes way up once the truck is on the road). I neglected to check that before I bought it. Turning is fun too. I always wanted a "toy hauler" but ran into the same dilemma as you - I wouldn't use it much. Ron lives in his trailer even though it doesn't have actual living quarters. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 17, 2010, 05:37:25 PM
I based my decision mostly on my usage more than the truck handling the load (but a dually would be nice).  I also didn't have a good place to park it without blocking access to an area that I need access to.  Hell come to think of it, I may have had a rough time getting it turned around just to park it.   Bob

do you have exhaust brake on it?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 17, 2010, 06:28:15 PM

Those are only fitted on Semi's AFAIK :Twocents:

Silver R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 17, 2010, 08:29:51 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on March 17, 2010, 06:28:15 PM

Those are only fitted on Semi's AFAIK :Twocents:
Wrong, they are actually STANDARD on new 6.7L cummins Rams from factory. You must be thinking 'air brakes', two different things.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargergirl

Quote from: elacruze on March 16, 2010, 10:26:24 AM
You have a couple things to pay special attention to; short bed and 4x4.

Wheelbase equals stability. That's one reason long haulers use a 4 door duallie.
Tires are even more important-duallies don't have 4 only for the additional load capacity, but because you have twice as many sidewalls to keep the trailer tracking straight.
If you have tires which are larger than stock, you're affecting stability. Also if you have tires that are softer than stock, taller sidewalls etc. then you must be much more careful towing, especially with big trailers with heavy tongue weights. By nature, 4x4's are taller and less stable too.
You're not doing something nobody's done before; I towed 10,000 lbs. on a bumper hitch 1400 miles and through the Ozarks behind an '85 4x4 GMC with 37" tires and a detroit locker in the rear. I survived, but the pucker factor put about 5 years on me in 3 days.

As a matter of course, I recommend that all big trailer buyers have the highest-capacity hitch they can get, and find an RV dealer who knows how to set it up properly, and has a hitch scale to know EXACTLY what your loaded and unloaded tongue weight is. Your vehicle will have both gross towed weight and max. tongue weight ratings. Getting the hitch and tongue weight right is the difference between having a great weekend and having the trailer push your truck into the median on its doors.
Don't cheap out on the brake controller, spend the money and get a good electronic one.
Preparation and knowledge are critical.

I have a long wheel base 3/4 ton and it tows great...the long wheel base makes a tremendous difference and no 4x4. These guys know what they are saying. Make sure the tow hitch is done right. and keep in mind you will need lots of room to stop.
Trust your Woobie!

Chryco Psycho

the Cummins has very high tow weight rating & with an equalizer hitch I doubt you would have any problems , the trailer would have to have brakes