News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 steering column conversion problems?

Started by ipstrategies, March 13, 2010, 03:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipstrategies

I am putting column back together after paint and notice a few things.
I am converting my 71 from column to floor shift.
I took column and floor shift from my parts 71 car and now have the old column shift side by side to the fresh painted floor column.
1. it seems the shaft for the floor column is a couple inches shorter then the original. How long should it be?
The column shift is about 42 " and the floor shift column is 38.5"

2. the column still moves some even when locked and I am wondering if this is normal as it was in pieces when I started.

3. If it matters the column shift was a rallye wheel which I am putting on floor shift car.
thanks
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

ChargerST

Have you checked that the one column isn't partially collapsed?

Chatt69chgr

Was one power steering and the other manual steering?

ipstrategies

I am pretty sure one is not collapsed (not sure since it was out of car) the longer one was in my Charger. I am thinking I may need to take the shaft off the original and use to be sure?

I only wish I would have noticed before so I could have cleaned and panted the original.

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

71 Bee Man

Quote from: ipstrategies on March 13, 2010, 03:11:54 PM
I am putting column back together after paint and notice a few things.
I am converting my 71 from column to floor shift.
I took column and floor shift from my parts 71 car and now have the old column shift side by side to the fresh painted floor column.
1. it seems the shaft for the floor column is a couple inches shorter then the original. How long should it be?
The column shift is about 42 " and the floor shift column is 38.5"

2. the column still moves some even when locked and I am wondering if this is normal as it was in pieces when I started.

3. If it matters the column shift was a rallye wheel which I am putting on floor shift car.
thanks

Mate.....a while back i made almost the same post - and the problem was that the column had collapsed. I didn't even realise it and it took a lot of pulling to get it to come out. I was stumped and couldn't figure it out - why was it a few inches shorter than it should be.
Make sure it hasn't collapsed.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

ipstrategies

So how to I confirm it has collapsed?  I know I need to take it back apart, the shaft seemed to still have the plastic in the hole that (where it collapses as) so I thought it was ok. Or can it be pulled back while still together?
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

ACUDANUT

Put in/bolt up the column you want, and if you are short...Pull and adjust.. :Twocents:

71 Bee Man

Quote from: ipstrategies on March 16, 2010, 07:36:15 AM
So how to I confirm it has collapsed?  I know I need to take it back apart, the shaft seemed to still have the plastic in the hole that (where it collapses as) so I thought it was ok. Or can it be pulled back while still together?

It was a while ago when I did mine, but I think it involved simply anchoring the column and using perhaps vice grips and tapping downward with a hammer.

That may sound a little primitive, but I was surprised just how stuck it was. Perhaps someone else here has a "proper" way to do it.

peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

71 Bee Man

Quote from: ipstrategies on March 16, 2010, 07:36:15 AM

I just did a search of posts on columns "telescoping" and found these 2 threads . Definitely check out the first one : :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29305.msg417226.html#msg417226

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37420.msg535582.html#msg535582

Look, this may not be the problem, but it sounds very similar. Just be sure. :shruggy:

Peter

ipstrategies

Peter
Thanks that must be it? I will take it apart and get it pulled to right length and then epoxy the holes?

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS