News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need the layout dimensions for the Daytona tail stripe

Started by hotrod98, March 15, 2010, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I plan to paint the stripes on Allen's Daytona clone this week and need the dimensions to lay them out. Does anyone know of a site where I could find them?
I need the dimensions on the location of the "Daytona" name as well since I'll be using a pullout style decal. The stripe will be under the clearcoat for durability. Allen won't have to worry about the edges of the decal pealing up and he can wax right over everything.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 15, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
I plan to paint the stripes on Allen's Daytona clone this week and need the dimensions to lay them out. Does anyone know of a site where I could find them?
I need the dimensions on the location of the "Daytona" name as well since I'll be using a pullout style decal. The stripe will be under the clearcoat for durability. Allen won't have to worry about the edges of the decal pealing up and he can wax right over everything.
call dave patik @     www.performancecargraphics.com         he has all the templates and stuff
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

hemi68charger

Larry..
I could take measurements of mine for you.. I was supposed to do it a while back ago for a gent but just haven't gotten to it... It was during a very busy part of my year... For that, I apologize.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hemigeno

Here's what you're likely to hear back from David Patik:

The "DAYTONA" lettering is (vertically) centered on the longitudinal body line/crease of the quarterpanel.  Locate the top of the quarterpanel stripe section to where the wing upright is centered on the stripe itself.  The bottom half of the quarterpanel stripe hits wherever it hits.

Larry, I can get you a dimension on how far the trailing edge of the wing upright sits off the quarterpanel rear edge if you haven't already determined the location.  From what I hear, the bottom half of the stripe is the hardest to get to look right without having some distortion in the stripe material.  That's due to the compound curves of the quarterpanel edge.  David recommends using regular Windex as a lubricating material rather than dishwashing soap, that much I remember for certain.

hotrod98

Troy, If I had thought about it, I could have gotten all of the measurements from your car while I was down there in December. Just wasn't thinking that far ahead. I would appreciate some basic measurements.

Geno, I'm going to paint them on instead of using the decal. I have an old set of decals that we're using to copy the name from. I never realized that the lettering was slanted differently for each side. I should be able to locate everything close enough to make it look good. I mixed up some R4 red in basecoat this morning. I never realized how orangey R4 red is. Looks closer to orange than red.

Allen, my son and I backed one of our trailers up to the door where the car was sitting, drove it onto the trailer and then moved it over to the door where the paint booth is located. They dug the dirt out almost a foot deep in front of the shop for the new concrete. They're framing up to pour the slab for the new addition tomorrow so the timing worked out. I'll probably go ahead and wet sand and buff in the booth (which is normally a big no-no) and I'll go ahead and install the interior while it's in the booth as well. That will give the concrete time enough to set before pulling the car out onto it and damaging it. Then all that will be left is to install the nose and the wing. It's supposed to be in the 70's on Wednesday so I'll get the car cleaned up and taped up tomorrow and shoot on Wednesday. Better late than never.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 15, 2010, 04:51:41 PM
Troy, If I had thought about it, I could have gotten all of the measurements from your car while I was down there in December. Just wasn't thinking that far ahead. I would appreciate some basic measurements.

Geno, I'm going to paint them on instead of using the decal. I have an old set of decals that we're using to copy the name from. I never realized that the lettering was slanted differently for each side. I should be able to locate everything close enough to make it look good. I mixed up some R4 red in basecoat this morning. I never realized how orangey R4 red is. Looks closer to orange than red.

Allen, my son and I backed one of our trailers up to the door where the car was sitting, drove it onto the trailer and then moved it over to the door where the paint booth is located. They dug the dirt out almost a foot deep in front of the shop for the new concrete. They're framing up to pour the slab for the new addition tomorrow so the timing worked out. I'll probably go ahead and wet sand and buff in the booth (which is normally a big no-no) and I'll go ahead and install the interior while it's in the booth as well. That will give the concrete time enough to set before pulling the car out onto it and damaging it. Then all that will be left is to install the nose and the wing. It's supposed to be in the 70's on Wednesday so I'll get the car cleaned up and taped up tomorrow and shoot on Wednesday. Better late than never.  :yesnod:

if you put an R-4 red car next to a r-6 car it looks orange but if you put it next to a vit-c car it looks red   :Twocents:

hotrod98

I see how orangey it is in this pic. Never noticed that before. All I know is this stuff is expensive. Red basecoat is nearly $100 a quart nowadays.

Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 15, 2010, 04:51:41 PM

Larry, I'll attempt to tackle this starting tomorrow after work........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hotrod98

Thanks, I really want the stripes to be correct for Allen.

Charles Addams

41husk

You are right on schedule despite what Stuart says :rofl:  I have spring break starting on the 26th of March until the 6th of April.  The plan is to go to Charlotte get the car hauler the weekend of the 26th.  When I get it home I will get the ramps extended or build new ramps to insure the nose doesnt rub during loading, then head out to you.  Should be right about April fools  :o 
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on March 16, 2010, 07:41:52 AM
You are right on schedule despite what Stuart says :rofl:  I have spring break starting on the 26th of March until the 6th of April.  The plan is to go to Charlotte get the car hauler the weekend of the 26th.  When I get it home I will get the ramps extended or build new ramps to insure the nose doesnt rub during loading, then head out to you.  Should be right about April fools  :o 
you can drop by here on the way and we can test load the birdible  :smilielol:    because i know larry wont be done yet   :nana:   maybe get a rearend