News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2004 F150 XLT...Someone beat me to it

Started by Skinypete, March 31, 2010, 01:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Well, I guess I have a good candidate since my daily driver is a 2005 F150 w/ FX4 package.  The 2004 and 2005 5.4l engines were known for having a piss poor designed spark plug that would pretty much break off the bottom half of the plug in the cyl head since the lower half of the plug is nothing but a smooth sleeved extension for it.  The newer ones are all made of one piece metal which solved this problem.  If you back them out carefully and soak them down with a penetrating oil along the plug, they will come out well if your are lucky.  They were also known to have issues with the hvac box as my dad had a flap break which was covered under warranty but a major headache to remove.  Aside from those two things, I think it is a really well built truck.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69 OUR/TEA

It is funny that resq302 is writing this,as I speak,I carpool to work with a friend who has an 06 F150,and about a week ago (after me telling him to lower the heat),realized there is something broke in there and is stuck on the heat side no matter if you turn down the temp and put on the A/C.Nothing but hot air comes out.If you listen ,you can hear the elec motor turning,but stays just on heat.Also,his mechanic did tell him NOT to try changing the plugs as they most likely will break and he'd be in for some major $$$$$$$.
NTM,he does not have a warranty and will be paying out of pocket to fix the heat and a/c .His truck currently has 90K on it.

A few years ago when it was time to get a new truck,got rid of my 89 chevy which was great and got me 263K miles,kept an open mind and looked at all three,did'nt care for that new Ford bodystyle anyway,heard a couple bad things about the chevy 6.0 so for me this would be a no brainer,so took my chances with a Hemi ram and have been fully satisfied with it.Food for thought!

Darkman

Newer fords and chevy's are mass produced POS's IMO. The same here in Aus (Ford and Holden). The car makers try to cut costs by installing cheap nasty parts (most of the time it's those parts that need to move the most) and break easily. Cars are having more and more technology put into them and they cost more so they need to balance it out (oh and make more profit). That is why the old saying goes, "they don't build 'em like they use to".

Look at a diesel option if possible.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

resq302

Honestly, I could say the same thing about my POS 2005 Hemi Ram quad cab 1500 4x4 that I had.  I didn't hit 6000 miles and had over 44+ problems with it.  Grenading 4 power steering pumps, spark plug wires, repetitive back up light fuses blown, you name it.  PLUS the first time I washed the truck by hand, I leaned on the fender with my hand to reach the center of the hood and I creased the pass side fender.  Mind you, I only weigh 180 lbs at the time.  Ever since I got rid of my 97 Ram, Chrysler seemed to go down hill.  No more modern Mopars for me.  My F150 can tow more and handles a hell of a lot better than what my hemi ram ever did!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Aero426

Just finished a 1500 mile tow in a friends '04 F150 Super Crew 2wd with a 5.4 engine.    Very nice truck, comfortable, pulled a 24' enclosed weighing 7600 lbs loaded.   Definitely worked the truck hard.  We we were close to the towing limit, but it was pretty sure footed and did well.   I've taken a couple trips in it and would have no problems buying one.    If I was towing the enclosed every day, I'd want something heavier, but for a couple times a year, it's a nice vehicle.  

resq302

Aero, thats what I do with my truck.  I have the 3.73 gears in the axle which raise up the towing capacity to around 10,000 gross.  I think in 2006 or 2007 they raised the capacity again up to 11,000 or more.  I agree that if I were towing a trailer everyday, I would definitely want to upgrade to at least a F-250 but they are at least another $10 grand more.  Plus with the ride quality of the F-150, Ill stick to my toy I have now. :D
Brian

Aero426

Yes, our truck had the 3.55 rear gear, so it had a lower towing rating around 8000 lbs.    But it still did well.  The 5.4 is a pretty good horse.   The nice thing about the current F150 is that when you are NOT towing, you can still pull decent mileage.    For occasional use, I think I prefer a gas engine versus the potential maintainance expense of a diesel.    

resq302

Depending on the hills and such, I usually get about 10 mpg with towing either our charger or the chally vert in our 24' enclosed car trailer.  Without the trailer and combo highway/city driving I get about 13-15 mpg.  Now my dad, who has a twin to my truck, power train, color, everything, gets between 17-18 and all he does is highway miles with that.  Funny thing is, his truck you step on the gas, you can smoke the tires.  My truck, which is a carbon copy of his, if you step on the gas, it takes off like a lead balloon.  Now, mine was built Jan of 2005 and his was built June of 2005 so there could either be a slight trans gearing difference or change in the computer programming which could cause a lot better throttle response.  Did I mention I hate this damn fly by wire throttle?   :lol:
Brian

Darkman

I would think the firmware has been upgraded. Most new cars have the potential for a lot more power (like the 350 in my everyday runner), but are "de-tuned" for more economy and to be safer. For $150, I can get it reprogrammed to be a ball tearer!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

resq302

Oh, just remembered something else....... Cam Phasers in 2004s and early 2005s were known to make a tapping or knocking noise.  The TSB claims that no damage will come to the engine yet my mpg's fell and I did not like the noise.  It is a bear of a job and pretty much had to pull the front of the motor apart and they had my truck for a day and a half.  Luckily, it was still under my extended warranty.
Brian