News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bull's 68 Charger restoration thread

Started by bull, March 15, 2010, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking good, can't wait to see it on its feet again.  :thumbs:

bull

At this point I left everything in place up front and moved to the back. This is where it's nice to have the back end of the car up high because I had to crawl under it to maneuver the transmission into place. There's probably a better/safer way to do this but I just raised the floor jack up to what looked right and then lifted the trans up by hand and set it down on the jack. From there I just slowly raised the transmission crossmember into place, lined it up/jockied it around, and installed the four trans mounting bolts finger tight.

Once that was in place I moved back to the front and started tightening the k-frame more. What I didn't anticipate seeing was that the rear k-frame mounting bolts were quite a fair distance from their correct position. In order to get them into place I had to use a bottle jack and raise the center of the drivetrain (back of the k-frame) enough to get the bolts started but once I had a couple of threads in it went very easy. If I had it to do over again I probably would have used some long bolts to act as alignment tools/drivers here but the jack worked quite well. Or I would have lowered the back end down off the ramps and leveled her out.

So there! It's in. :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Anotrher milestone! Great job Curtis.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Thanks Brian. :cheers:

I recently purchased and installed a pair of Eddy shocks and repainted the spindles/dust plates. Those are going on too as we speak...

freddyd02

grdprx

That's awesome!  I love the play-by-play getting it mated together!  Must feel great to get the engine in.   :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: grdprx on April 26, 2011, 01:10:21 AM
That's awesome!  I love the play-by-play getting it mated together!  Must feel great to get the engine in.   :2thumbs:

It does. :yesnod: And I bet once I get it broke in and tuned properly I would probably get about as motivated as I could get to get the rest of it done.

FLG

bill440rt

Sa-WEET!!  :drool5: :drool5:

Looks really good, Curtis. Keep it up!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Nice detailed work!  Keep up the great work! :2thumbs: :cheers:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

elacruze

Slow and steady wins the race. Nice work.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68blue

Looks Great! Nothing like the turquoise engine. :yesnod:

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

chargergirl

You have made amazing progress with your baby! Beautifully done and your restoration even on the little things is stellar!
Trust your Woobie!

bull

Thank you, madam. :2thumbs: Today I finished up the steering knuckle installation and then assembled the rotors, caliper adapters, calipers, pads and hoses.

Oh yea, stuck the radiator in there too.

Marck

Awesome job, I love that everything looks brand new...  :2thumbs:

tan top

:coolgleamA:  looks nice !!! good stuff going on there  :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

lexxman

It looks like its comeing together nicely. Keep the picture coming. :2thumbs:

bull

Got another goody in the mail today. Holley 770 aluminum Street Avenger. :2thumbs: It's going to be a tight fit next to that coil. I had to do some rearranging just to get 1/16" of space between them.

Bob T

Great stuff bull, really like tuning in to see whats been happening on your car.
Awesome job so far, be proud.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1969chargerrtse

Wow, restorations like that are what make me know I have a nice " driver " car. Love the pic's.
In reading only 74 were made, any idea why so few?  Were they all some sort of special order, or no one wanted a 383 2bbl 4 spd back then?
Did the previous owner know what he had? 1 of 74
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 07, 2011, 06:30:46 AM
Wow, restorations like that are what make me know I have a nice " driver " car. Love the pic's.
In reading only 74 were made, any idea why so few?  Were they all some sort of special order, or no one wanted a 383 2bbl 4 spd back then?
Did the previous owner know what he had? 1 of 74

Yes, he knew what he had. He is an avid Mopar guy who was just starting to liquidate when I bought the Charger from him. He's since sold almost everything he once had and is focusing more on smaller amounts of the older Mopar stuff (1940s). The only reason I can think that the number is so rare is that it's such an odd combination. It's almost as if it was designed to be a high mpg car but then why the 383? I don't know but someone wanted it this way because it was ordered. But then the way I understand it the dealerships would create phony orders to get the cars in faster, so who knows.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

472 R/T SE

Have you seen Jonesy lately?  He's like you, lost a bunch of weight.  Looks real good.

He was at our last Pizza Barron show & his (wife?) was with him.

Dans 68

That "043" looks good in there, Curtis. Keep the pics coming....  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259