News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bull's 68 Charger restoration thread

Started by bull, March 15, 2010, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: lexxman on June 15, 2013, 05:47:02 PM
Has anyone tryed to replace broken stud on one of these? Mine work ,but I have a broken stub on one. I will start doing my grille this fall.

Hmmm, that sounds like a tough one. Is it broken off flush with the housing? Assuming the original stud cannot be removed the only thing I would suggest is that you drill it out and replace it. Carefully mark the middle of the stud and start drilling it out bit by bit with a pilot hole, maybe a 1/8" bit about 1/4" deep or so as long as you don't bust through the bottom and into the housing. Once that's done use a 13/64" drill bit (the correct fractional size hole to tap it out to 1/4-20) to finish it off. Tap it to 14/-20 and install a 1/4-20 stud or all thread with Loctite and then cut that to match the length of the other stud.  :shruggy: Obviously the best way to do this would be on a drill press with the vaccum pod flat and level.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lexxman on June 15, 2013, 05:47:02 PM
Has anyone tryed to replace broken stud on one of these? Mine work ,but I have a broken stub on one. I will start doing my grille this fall.

Yes. Drill it out carefully not to go too far into the rubber diaphragm. Then tap some threads into it and jb weld a stud right into the hole.

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

lexxman

Thanks.Its broken about 1/4 from the bottom I can just get a nut on it for a turn or two.  It will be touchie.

bull

The plastic is done and everything is ready to assemble. :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

Back N Black

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Thanks.

The corner trim fits like crap but it comes pretty close. I'm not going to worry about it. Probably nothing out there that's any better.

I'm happy to be at this point. Had a lot of trouble with that center section (kept getting a repaired crack showing through) and had to take it back down to the plastic in a few spots and use some filler but the last repaint worked out. I need to locate a few push nuts for the headlight doors and I can put it all back together.

SkiJogg

Look really nice Brian did a heck of a job on mine .  :2thumbs:
Hell don't hurt and a lick'n dot last

bull

Getting there. As you can ptobably tell, the decklid needs to be adjusted down but the latch is all the way down in this pic. How can I get the back to line up?

bull

grill's on :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Do those pics ever look great Bull.  After looking at the photos of parts and components for so long its nice to see it coming together as a car again.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on July 06, 2013, 07:26:01 AM
Getting there. As you can ptobably tell, the decklid needs to be adjusted down but the latch is all the way down in this pic. How can I get the back to line up?

If you still need more down with the latch, you will need to do one of two things. Either die-grind the holes on the lacth or knock out the welded square nuts and use nuts and washers to take advantage of the adjustment offered by the square hole. With eithe of these it may be nessesary to open up (down) the space the lock rod go thru to unlock the latch.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on July 06, 2013, 09:34:44 AM
Do those pics ever look great Bull.  After looking at the photos of parts and components for so long its nice to see it coming together as a car again.

I hear that. Not to mention all the extra space I have now. :2thumbs:

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 06, 2013, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: bull on July 06, 2013, 07:26:01 AM

If you still need more down with the latch, you will need to do one of two things. Either die-grind the holes on the lacth or knock out the welded square nuts and use nuts and washers to take advantage of the adjustment offered by the square hole. With eithe of these it may be nessesary to open up (down) the space the lock rod go thru to unlock the latch.

The welded square nuts are gone already so I'll take a closer look at that. I was afraid of having to grind the holes out but you gotta do what you gotta do. One of those carbide die grinder bits will do the trick.

bull

Grill aligned, bumper on and mostly aligned and valance on and mostly aligned. That valance was a major pain, yeesh. :P

Oh, and I installed the antenna mast. That was easy.

SkiJogg

Getting close to the fun part DRIVING it .  Looks great enjoy.
Hell don't hurt and a lick'n dot last

bull

Backed the Charger out of the garage to sweep, clean and put stuff away so I took a few pics in the sunshine. Tomorrow I'm getting some help putting the hood on and maybe adjust the trunk lid and then I'll start chasing wiring issues. I also got the front carpet set and trimmed (replaced due to it being too narrow) and the console put back in. If I have time I'll drop off my other pair of Magnum 500s for two new front tires and get them installed.

Baldwinvette77

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Steve P.

It won't be long now buddy.. Can't wait to hear about the first truly complete maiden cruise. ;)

Was the other front carpet a new one that was too narrow?
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Dino

Very nice!   :2thumbs:

Are those the Cooper 295's on the back?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bob T

Good efforts, getting close to getting rubber out on the road
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

charge69

Beautiful Charger!  Get ready to have a LOT of fun!