News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bull's 68 Charger restoration thread

Started by bull, March 15, 2010, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I did my Charger exhaust on the ground and vowed never again! :flame:  It's a bitch getting those angles to work from floor height - and it kills your back and neck for weeks.  The car needs to be very high....at least 4 feet from the ground... and the thought of that is totally scary without a hoist!!  :eek2:

Given the limited space you're working with it pays to have the car towed to a shop with a hoist.  I did mine 13 years ago (when I was young, cocky, determined, and flexible 32 year old  :icon_smile_wink:) ... :D  Nowadays, that's a job I'm be williing to pay for.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

bull

I hear you. But then I have a hard time with the fact that I've already dropped close to $1k on the parts alone and hiring a shop would add at least $100 for the towing bill plus whatever the shop decides to charge. Unfortunately you might be right, I may have no other choice.

A383Wing

or you could just buy a hoist and install it

Bryan  (I love spending other peoples money)

bull

I'll post pics later but last night I finished up the exhaust, including pulling off the manifolds to reseal them with high temp copper silicone sealant. Also installed the starter with a new base plate cover that actually covers the hole. And I got my fuel lines from Greg at Fabulous Fabrications; two for the carb to the top of the fuel filter and a third one that goes from the pump to the bottom of the fuel filter. To my knowledge this is the first one of those he's made (BTW I highly recommend Fabulous Fabrications for your fuel lines). Also got the clutch linkage all hooked up.

Bought myself a rod for pumping the oil up to the top of the engine for startup prep and now I can't find the friggen' thing. :brickwall: Put it someplace really safe I guess.

TK73

Man, i just don't have what it takes to spend years on resto... fortunately I like RATTY running cars...

Charger was in like 3 shades of tan and 2 blacks for YEARS, drove the hell outta it with a 318 before bumping to the 360 and last winter finally getting it to where I like it... RATTY
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

If/when I buy another classic Mopar it'll probably stay as ratty as it is when I buy it. I won't have the patience to do this again, unless I can retire and get something to putter around with.

1974dodgecharger

you have alot of patience my friend....

bull

:Twocents:

bull

:Twocents:

bill440rt

Looks SUPERB, Curtis!!   :2thumbs:

Very nice attention to detail.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

NHCharger

I have followed this thread from the beginning. Awesome job.
I was going to post a thread on my 68 project but I'm building a driver with an updated suspension package that I plan to driver the hell out of. The finished product won't look anything like this :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bull

Quote from: NHCharger on July 28, 2012, 06:02:48 PM
I have followed this thread from the beginning. Awesome job.
I was going to post a thread on my 68 project but I'm building a driver with an updated suspension package that I plan to driver the hell out of. The finished product won't look anything like this :lol:

Post it anyway. I'd look at it. :2thumbs:

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on July 28, 2012, 10:19:53 AM

Bought myself a rod for pumping the oil up to the top of the engine for startup prep and now I can't find the friggen' thing. :brickwall: Put it someplace really safe I guess.

I got one here I made from a "B" block intermediate oil pump shaft and a small block oil shaft as well. I took the dist gears off both and welded them together. This way I have one for all engines

Come on up Curtis, you can use mine

Bryan (did you get yer starter shim?

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on July 28, 2012, 06:28:41 PM

Bryan (did you get yer starter shim?[/color]

Yup. Got it and installed it yesterday. :2thumbs:

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

grdprx

That is absolutely beautiful!  I'm in awe..   :drool5:  :drool5:

tan top

:o      , looks awesome !! nice work         :drool5: :drool5:  :yesnod: :2thumbs:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69 OUR/TEA

Coming out real nice Bull,keep up the good work !!!! :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Your Charger looks amazing Curtis. Way to go! ...... my new 68 isnt going over the top like that.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RIDELIKEHELL

That is stunning young man! Very impressed  :2thumbs: Beautiful car
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bull

Thanks guys. :2thumbs:

By the way, does anyone reading this have band clamps on their front muffler flanges and/or tips? I'm thinking of spending a few extra bucks at Summit on four of them just to see how it cleans things up.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on July 29, 2012, 10:11:42 AM
Thanks guys. :2thumbs:

By the way, does anyone reading this have band clamps on their front muffler flanges and/or tips? I'm thinking of spending a few extra bucks at Summit on four of them just to see how it cleans things up.

I always use band clamps at the joint where the muffs meet the head pipes. That way you can get it apart again if needed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............